Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys...

Just wanted to let you all know that my wife and I traded in the Mazda 3S today, and bought a 2007 Mercedes Benz C280 4Matic. It's black with a "Stone" leather interior. The car is beautiful...18,000 miles on it, not a scratch on her. Just gorgeous.

Anyway, I'll have some pictures up tomorrow.

JR

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
YOU'RE KILLING THE BIG 3, BY BUYING FOREIGN!!!!1 UNPATRIOTIC!!!1

Just kidding. I just had to, since you would have been beheaded if you would have said "bought my wife a (insert asian carmaker here)".

I look forward to the pics. Sounds like a nice automobile. A bit of luxury, and probably didnt break the bank. :)

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
:puke: You know how I feel about Black cars...

that said, I'm looking forward to pics...and are you guys going to come up for the meet so I can see either this or the Mustang? Congrats on the purchase :thumb:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She had been looking at getting a BMW for awhile, but the resale value on them is extremely good, so we couldn't get into a two or three year old 328 coupe for less than $30k. The sticker on this was about $26k, and we walked out the door with it for less than $23k. I found the original sticker from the first sale, and it was listed at just over $40k.

It's got Bluetooth connectivity for the phone, auto-dimmer rear view and left side mirror, Xenon headlights, moonroof, electric rear sunshade, Homelink (for opening garage doors), 10-way adjustable leather front seats (heated, with powered headrests). I mean, this thing has more electronics than the Destroyers I work on.

Anyway, Mike...I'm going to try to get up to the Mass meet. If I do come up, it'll probably just be me, and it'll be the Mustang I'll be driving.

JR

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
QUOTE (godspunk32 @ Apr 4 2009, 11:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715175
She had been looking at getting a BMW for awhile, but the resale value on them is extremely good, so we couldn't get into a two or three year old 328 coupe for less than $30k. The sticker on this was about $26k, and we walked out the door with it for less than $23k. I found the original sticker from the first sale, and it was listed at just over $40k.

It's got Bluetooth connectivity for the phone, auto-dimmer rear view and left side mirror, Xenon headlights, moonroof, electric rear sunshade, Homelink (for opening garage doors), 10-way adjustable leather front seats (heated, with powered headrests). I mean, this thing has more electronics than the Destroyers I work on.

Anyway, Mike...I'm going to try to get up to the Mass meet. If I do come up, it'll probably just be me, and it'll be the Mustang I'll be driving.

JR[/b]

Less than 23K :eek:

You got a deal on that car...hope it suits you and your wife well :thumb:

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
Why did you get rid of the Mazda? She hadn't had it very long IIRC...

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (Midnight00SE @ Apr 5 2009, 08:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715358
QUOTE (jason8225 @ Apr 5 2009, 01:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715330
Why did you get rid of the Mazda? She hadn't had it very long IIRC...[/b]
JR got rear ended pulling out of the driveway. That sounds so wrong in so many ways.
[/b][/quote]
It wasn't even so much the accident...

She'd had the car for just about three years...32K miles on it.

She just tends to get bored with cars quickly, and she's wanted a BMW since she was like 10, so we started looking. When we realized we couldn't get into a BMW for under like $600/month, we dropped back and punted, and started looking at Audi A4s, Mercedes C-class (C230, C280), and the like.

The Mazda was and is a great car. After the body work was done, I put four new Kumho Ecsta ASX tires on it, and the car REALLY began to shine. The ****** Toyo Proxes that were stock made the car handle like it was rolling on marbles. The Kumhos made it handle incredibly well. It would have been great to have put some Tokicos and some upgraded sway bars on it it to really make it shine.

This car, though, is just a completely different animal. The ride is damn near silent, the seats are like butter, and it handles pretty well, if the steering isn't a bit numb. The 3.0L is plenty for my wife...228 HP, 221 lb/ft of torque. I haven't driven it in any adverse conditions, yet, so I can't comment on the AWD capabilities, but I believe its the same system that they use on the Audis, branded as 4Matic instead of Quattro, so it's probably pretty damn good in the snow and rain.

JR

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Guess that shows how often I'm around anymore either. I had just assumed with the accident that you went to look at a new car. I do have to agree with you that the 3's are really a quality car for the price paid. My friend has one and I love to drive it when it's my turn for DD.

JR - Let me know when you're planning on leaving for the meet. I'll be going up on Friday after I get off work. I'd like to take the Mustang out for a quickie, if you can deal with my GTI for a little.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Mmm - nice Merc.

I'm still a little unhappy about my wife's decision to pass recently on a 1986 Mercedes 420 SEL. It had depreciated a little, from $62,000 to $2,800, but was in overall good shape at some minimal mileage (forget the exact, but it was around 50-60K, had been garaged by its elderly owner for 15 years). Would have needed new timing chain and guides, but that V-8 always did, always will... plus brakes and rubber and wiring and who knows what from its long nap.

But I can understand. She's just 5 feet tall, and she claimed she would have needed a ladder to reach the 420's driver seat.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Man, for that price I'd have been looking well passed A4's and eyeballing S4/RS4 hard!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (BetterDays @ Apr 5 2009, 12:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715384
QUOTE (TheJcode @ Apr 5 2009, 11:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715373
Man, for that price I'd have been looking well passed A4's and eyeballing S4/RS4 hard![/b]
It was for his wife, not him.
[/b][/quote]
I wanted something with a factory warranty, and less than 25k miles. I couldn't get anywhere CLOSE to an S4 or RS4 for that, and the A4s were just not my wife's cup of tea. Hell, I'd have loved to have gotten her into an S60R, but it wasn't in the cards...

Tim, if we go to the meet, I'm totally fine with getting our caravan on. I'll let you drive the Mustang for awhile...I'd love to drive that GTi! I talked to the wife yesterday, and we're still deciding. If there is going to be a big turnout, we'll likely go, but if it's just going to be three or four people, we'll probably pass.

JR

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
QUOTE (godspunk32 @ Apr 5 2009, 08:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715360
QUOTE (Midnight00SE @ Apr 5 2009, 08:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715358
QUOTE (jason8225 @ Apr 5 2009, 01:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715330
Why did you get rid of the Mazda? She hadn't had it very long IIRC...[/b]
JR got rear ended pulling out of the driveway. That sounds so wrong in so many ways.
[/b][/quote]

The ****** Toyo Proxes that were stock made the car handle like it was rolling on marbles. .

JR
[/b][/quote]

I have the same tires on my Wife's Mazda5, I hate them. Horrible ride, even worse wet pavement handling and noisy. I won't shed a tear when I have to replace them.

Very nice choice with the MB. I am sure it makes her feel like a million dollars.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
I had Proxes on my old Blazer and they were nice! Lasted quite a while.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not a big fan of Merc-Benz but still congratulations to you and your wife. I really hope she enjoys her new car!!!!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
QUOTE (Firespirit @ Apr 5 2009, 08:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715493
Your guys' Proxes were that bad? I put Toyo Proxes TPT's on my 97 and I love them!

Where are the pics?[/b]
These weren't TPTs, they were Toyo Proxes A05s, and they were just terrible. By 15,000 miles, they had worn significantly, and by 28,000 miles, they were dangerous. On a trip down to Baltimore in the rain, last summer, we took a big sweeping left at about 55 MPH on I-95, and almost wound up in the right hand guardrail because the car understeered so bad with those tires on.

Anyway, here are some pictures. More when I get more time. I took the Woodbury Nissan sticker off the trunk, and the decal off the rear window after these were taken.

[attachment=29080:pICT0057__Medium_.JPG]

[attachment=29081:pICT0058__Medium_.JPG]

[attachment=29082:pICT0060__Medium_.JPG]

[attachment=29083:pICT0070__Medium_.JPG]

[attachment=29084:pICT0066__Medium_.JPG]

And finally, the very happy Mercedes owner, herself!

[attachment=29085:pICT0064__Medium_.JPG]

JR

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Seems like someone enjoys their new wheels!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts