Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I changed my plugs in my Duratec this weekend with 72,000 miles on it. It wasn't too bad of a job. The only real issue getting it apart was the rubber hoses were stuck to all of the nipples.

I was going to clean up the throttle body and secondaries but I didn't expect them to be as bad as they are. I didn't buy any carb cleaner and the crud is mostly hard and stuck on there. One thing I noticed is that the #3 intake runner and secondary was cleaner than the rest. Could it be that the flow of the intake is poor for #3? You can kind of tell by looking at the pictures below. Sorry I didn't embed them in this post, but I have had problems doing that. It was too hot out so I didn't tackle this job. I will get it done soon though.

All secondaries

#4 Secondary

#3 Secondary

Bottom of upper intake

Ford also didn't use anti-seize compound on the spark plug threads. They were real fun to get out after being in there for 72,000 miles. The plug gaps were also pretty large after that many miles (average of .065 or higher). I don't know how Ford thought they could go 100,000 miles on them because I changed them for a reason. It was starting to feel like it had a slight miss at idle. I can't imagine how it would run if I let them go for another 28,000 miles. All 6 plugs looked the exact same though which is a good thing. They were all clean except for a little white residue.

One other thing was after I put it back together I reconnected the negative and started the car but didn't drive it. This morning I noticed the transmission was feeling a little funny. I kept driving and if I was at speed (45 or so) and let off, the RPMs would drop more than normal and it felt different. I was coasting up to a light and at around 35 MPH, it started shifting back and forth from 3rd to 4th. It did it like 5 or 6 times. I stopped, stepped on the gas and it seemed fine again (except for the unusually low RPMs while coasting). As I got closer to work and after driving 75 on I-295 for 30 minutes and dealing with the construction, it started to feel like normal. Could the funniness have just been the computer settling itself out after having no power?

Let me know if you have any issues with the pics and any ideas about the trans acting funny this morning.

Thanks,

-Nate

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I think that the reason that the car shifted kinda funny was because the computer had to "re-learn" the shift patterns because the battery cable was disconnected for an extended period of time.

I'll be taking my manifold off to do my plugs within a couple weeks, and I have a 98 Duratec with about the same milage as you do, so I'll check, although I'm sure you'll know about any problems by the time I do mine.

Where on 295 were you? Cherry Hill, NJ area? Where do you live/work?

JR

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured that the computer was just relearning, but it's never done that before when I've disconnected the battery (that I can remember). I am hoping I don't have a vacuum leak somewhere. I used brand new upper manifold seals and used the right tightning sequence. I don't hear anything obvious, but the only way I will be able to tell is to hook up a vacuum gauge. I'm parinoid about that kind of stuff. But, it started to run ok after a while so who knows (silly Ford product). :D

I live in New Castle, DE and work in Mount Laurel (at 38 and 295). So I jump on 295 down in DE and take it all the way up through the 42 interchange and through this construction north of 561. I used to work in Cherry Hill and they moved us to a new building.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that you have to deal with the 295 construction every day...

I live at the Jersey Shore, and I take 295 down to school (Philly)sometimes...the construction sucks right now...45 mph for like 8 miles.

I'm on co-op now, and I got an interview with Comcast out in Mt. Laurel, but I turned it down partially because of the commute from Philly...partially because Wyeth pays me a crapload more money and it's a better job...

JR

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@May 24 2004, 01:45 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you have to deal with the 295 construction every day...

I live at the Jersey Shore, and I take 295 down to school (Philly)sometimes...the construction sucks right now...45 mph for like 8 miles.

I'm on co-op now, and I got an interview with Comcast out in Mt. Laurel, but I turned it down partially because of the commute from Philly...partially because Wyeth pays me a crapload more money and it's a better job...

JR
Doing what for Comcast? I worked for them for 4 years as a tech.(Bucks County)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should have taken the job Mt. Laurel! Why? Because guess where I work?

You are right about the money, I'm sure a lot of companies pay better than this place.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I think the job was first and second level Desktop support...

Instead, the job I took was third level Microsoft server support, as well as planning and implementation of Microsoft servers...administration...stuff like that...

JR

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the IT department? Did you interview with guy named Paul? Paul's the man (he's the reason I have 2 laptops and 2 desktops at my desk, along with a lot of other toys). :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts