Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Vulcan couldn't beat a groundhog in the low end. When I hit the gas, there's nothing there at any speed, especially from a standing start. It seems to hesitate when accelerating normally, as though the revs level off for a fraction of a second before continuing to rise. It also seems to guzzle petrol; I drove to work this morning (for the first time!) and although it's only a 30 min drive across town, the fuel guage just kept dropping. I've done 130km since the last fill-up and I'm already sitting just over half-full. Oh and the engine light came on during my drive to work. :(

J

·
0 Posts
What year is your car? Did you just get it? Do you know the maintenance history? All this info will help to troubleshoot...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bonus the engine light came on...that really helps in identifying problems...sounds like a O2 prob...but that is just a guess...I don't know where you live but around here Kansas City you can go to Advance or AutoZone and they will scan the codes for free and tell you what happened...a shop will charge you to do the same thing...good luck...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oops - I had to rush the post, and it as originally meant as a reply to another topic. Sorry!

It's a 2000 SE, with 46,000km on the clock. I'm in Ottawa, so I've no idea if I can take it in anywhere for free. I bought it just over a month ago. The engine light came on back then, but the dealership (yes I should write stealership!) said that "some" unit wasn't reporting values properly to the computer. He probably said which unit, but I really can't remember the name of it.

Thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something else I noticed on the way home tonight. From a standing start, when I accelerate (not hard acceleration, just normal), sometimes the car will fly off the mark like a rocket, but mostly it will feel like there's zero pull. I know this sounds funny but I was experimenting by using minimal acceleration with a VERY light foot. I don't know if this is typical with the Vulcan or not.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by stodge@Jun 15 2004, 08:24 PM
Something else I noticed on the way home tonight. From a standing start, when I accelerate (not hard acceleration, just normal), sometimes the car will fly off the mark like a rocket, but mostly it will feel like there's zero pull. I know this sounds funny but I was experimenting by using minimal acceleration with a VERY light foot. I don't know if this is typical with the Vulcan or not.
I think I sort of know what you mean... My vulcan will fly off the line like a bat out of hell, then sort of drags, but when I get towards the end of 1st and into second when I'm above like 3k she pulls pretty good. Sound like what yours does?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by stodge+Jun 16 2004, 11:01 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (stodge @ Jun 16 2004, 11:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TorontoSable@Jun 15 2004, 10:04 PM
Stodge

Just about anything that sets the SES light is covered for 5 years or 80,000 km's. One nice thing the goverment did for us. Good luck
SES? [/b][/quote]
Service Engine Soon.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by stodge+Jun 16 2004, 12:01 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (stodge @ Jun 16 2004, 12:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TorontoSable@Jun 15 2004, 10:04 PM
Stodge

Just about anything that sets the SES light is covered for 5 years or 80,000 km's. One nice thing the goverment did for us. Good luck
SES? [/b][/quote]
"Service Engine Soon" light. :) AKA - CEL "Check Engine Soon"

·
Registered
550 Posts
Well here goes... I'm a Ford "Stealership" Tech.(been one for 12yrs. or so), I own a 98SE Vulcan Taurus... I've done a bunch of "upgrades" & ya' know what??? IT'S STILL A SLUG!!! All Vulcan's have LOUSY low end! Short of installing a Turbo, or Supercharger, NOS, or a REAL Trans. it ain't EVER gonna' be quick at low RPM's. Sorry all, but that's the truth! The Trans. are the biggest problem I think, they shift WAY too quickly into OD, they Rev up WAY too slowly, & that engine has NO TORQUE to speak of! Maybe milling the heads & intake .030in. or Porting/Polishing, or even Extrude Honing the heads & intake, & adding some kind of header set up w/HUGE exhaust pipes would help.( of course then it's totally unstreetable). Maybe a high stall torque converter, & a shift kit in the Trans. would help?(then you'd probably blow out clutch packs, & seals, & bands, etc.) Anyhow... don't go looking for 0-60mph times to ever be impressive w/a Vulcan engine... it'll NEVER happen! Sorry again to burst anyones bubble, but that's the way it is.
:rolleyes: :blink:

·
Registered
550 Posts
And by the way... after Autozone(AutoBone!) sells you a bunch of parts you probably don't need... you'll have to bring your car to a real Tech. for PROPER Diag. Retrieving DTC's (codes) doesn't tell you what caused the DTC. Ex. An O2 DTC doesn't always mean a bad O2 sensor. Your local "stealership" will be glad to help!
:lol2: :D B)

·
Registered
533 Posts
o2 sensor are the "Mapsensor" ? controlling the gas and air entry ?

My friend have a caprice with a Corvette engine (14.24 sec at 1/4 mile :D ) but the mapsensor get broken and he spend 150$ of gas in a week (just go to work) and the car was moving pretty slow !

Im not sure but is maybe that the problem ?, so, im not an expert too

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wasn't saying that I expect excellent acceleration at the low end. Because my journey home involved lots of red traffic lights and stop signs, it was easy for me to repeat the test of trying to start from zero with the same pedal pressure each time. What I found weird was that every time it was different - sometimes there was no acceleration, sometimes there was some and sometimes there was lots. It was the same when accelerating at other city speeds (30-60km/h), but it was easier to duplicate my test conditions from a standing start. I was just very surprised by this, and it makes driving the car very difficult - if you don't know what acceleration you'll get when you press the pedal, how can you respond to road conditions?

Thanks for your replies.

:notworthy:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts