Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wassup ya'll...I was just wondering, Ive got a 96 GL FFV with a couple of mods and maybe Im crazy but ive beat some pretty fast cars or so they are made to look that way! What have you guys beaten! I am about 165hp after a couple of mods and the FFV version is faster!

- 1999 Nissan Maxima (friends car)
- 2001 Nissan Maxima SE (From a rolling start of 40mph though!) (my friends car)
- All 4 cyl accords
- Like 4 eclipse's (for a sports car - SLOW!)
- Impala! (not the dual exhaust ones!)
- Tons of civics - especially the new one
- Couple of Pointac Grand Am's
- Chevy Malibu's
- A number of Nissan Altima'

what about you guys? Also, How would GENIII SHO's compare to the Altima 3.2 CL and TL?

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by whiteguy3@Sep 13 2006, 02:27 PM
Wassup ya'll...I was just wondering, Ive got a 96 GL FFV with a couple of mods and maybe Im crazy but ive beat some pretty fast cars or so they are made to look that way! What have you guys beaten! I am about 165hp after a couple of mods and the FFV version is faster!

- 2001 Nissan Maxima SE (From a rolling start of 40mph though!) (my friends car)
- All 4 cyl accords
- Chevy Malibu's

what about you guys? Also, How would GENIII SHO's compare to the Altima 3.2 CL and TL?
:rolleyes: And is this "165hp" to the wheels? Are you sure they were racing? And what mods? Time slips/dyno sheet?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I think a Gen III SHO would get beaten pretty handily by an Acura 3.2. I remember Joe5.0 from the forum having one at Gingerman last year, and that thing MOVED. A V6 MTX SHO, OTOH, might give the 3.2 a good run for its money, if not beat it.

I can't see the Vulcan beating a a 2001 Maxima at a rolling start. The Vulcan has grunt down low, but dies top end.

You're not at 165 HP at the wheels or the crank. The Gen III Vulcan came with 145 HP, stock, at the crank. That means, counting 20% driveline loss (which is a very conservative number), you're putting about 115 HP to the wheels, and that is a very high estimate, assuming that all maintenance is up to date, and you have a very good running engine. Anywho...not trying to flame you, but I doubt you've got what you say you do.

JR

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Sep 13 2006, 06:24 PM
You're not at 165 HP at the wheels or the crank. The Gen III Vulcan came with 145 HP, stock, at the crank. That means, counting 20% driveline loss (which is a very conservative number),
Does that 20% loss count for torque too?

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Those new Maxis haul ass.

I don't call my Tec fast by any means and I would get spanked by the

2 Maximas you listed, either auto or manual
The Impala
and probrably some of those Grand AM's, as long as they're 6's.
and any 6 cyl Altima

I think the only way people will believe your claims is if we have video.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Originally posted by RoGuE+Sep 13 2006, 05:41 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RoGuE @ Sep 13 2006, 05:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-godspunk32@Sep 13 2006, 06:24 PM
You're not at 165 HP at the wheels or the crank.  The Gen III Vulcan came with 145 HP, stock, at the crank.  That means, counting 20% driveline loss (which is a very conservative number),
Does that 20% loss count for torque too? [/b][/quote]
Yes, driveline loss lowers torque, which lowers HP.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Originally posted by 93 Sable@Sep 13 2006, 05:50 PM
Those new Maxis haul ass.

I don't call my Tec fast by any means and I would get spanked by the

2 Maximas you listed, either auto or manual
The Impala
and probrably some of those Grand AM's, as long as they're 6's.
and any 6 cyl Altima

I think the only way people will believe your claims is if we have video.
I doubt my tec would lose to anything on that list, with the exception of a 3.5L altima.....the 2.5L would be easy prey lol. As would most older maxima's. Please don't ever use the terms fast, v6, and grand am ever again in the same sentence....the fastest one I've seen ran a 15.6 without a hood, interior, no exhaust, and had an upgraded TB and polished intake....I know the gen IV is a bit slower, but I doubt that slow....

I think he is also talking about the old impala with the 3.4L is it? Those things would be pathetic next to a vulcan....hahaha
Andrew

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Sep 13 2006, 05:24 PM
I think a Gen III SHO would get beaten pretty handily by an Acura 3.2. I remember Joe5.0 from the forum having one at Gingerman last year, and that thing MOVED. A V6 MTX SHO, OTOH, might give the 3.2 a good run for its money, if not beat it.

I can't see the Vulcan beating a a 2001 Maxima at a rolling start. The Vulcan has grunt down low, but dies top end.

You're not at 165 HP at the wheels or the crank. The Gen III Vulcan came with 145 HP, stock, at the crank. That means, counting 20% driveline loss (which is a very conservative number), you're putting about 115 HP to the wheels, and that is a very high estimate, assuming that all maintenance is up to date, and you have a very good running engine. Anywho...not trying to flame you, but I doubt you've got what you say you do.

JR
I don't even think a gen I mtx could do it....those CL's are supposed to be really low 14 sec cars along with the newer altima 3.5L's.....

I am betting he is guessing at the crank, altho my guess would probably be closer to 155 at the crank depending upon mods.....the vulcan doesn't exactly have what it takes stock to benifit much.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
According to the folks on the ranger forums, running on ethanol adds 9hp. :eek:

All of the cars on the list are somewhat believeable, except for the maximas.

Originally posted by whiteguy3

maybe Im crazy
This seems like the only reasonable explanation.

DEDragonKnight has a heavilly modified vulcan and runs automatic maxima times. I wont think of considering you a "maxima killar" until you have proof of such things.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Originally posted by FFVulcanPowah+Sep 13 2006, 08:10 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ Sep 13 2006, 08:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> According to the folks on the ranger forums, running on ethanol adds 9hp. :eek:

All of the cars on the list are somewhat believeable, except for the maximas.

<!--QuoteBegin-whiteguy3

maybe Im crazy
This seems like the only reasonable explanation.

DEDragonKnight has a heavilly modified vulcan and runs automatic maxima times. I wont think of considering you a "maxima killar" until you have proof of such things. [/b][/quote]
He's right, unless you went crazy like DED did and build a ground up vulcan, you prolly aren't even going to hang with a few cars on that list, unless there is a possibility the maxima's had some trans trouble or if they ever came with a 4cyl....I also see you haven't encountered the accord with the big 4cyl and the 6sp....lol. I will stay an optimist on this, and suppose he did win, there is always a logical answer when spock is involved..... :lol2: :lol2:
Andrew

·
Registered
524 Posts

- All 4 cyl accords
- Chevy Malibu's
Good kill list.Especially the Maxima's.What mods do you have done?

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
ive even gotten beaten by some maximas..... those things are sick!

and we all know im awesome.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by 24vsable@Sep 14 2006, 12:22 AM
there is always a logical answer when spock is involved..... :lol2: :lol2:
Andrew
:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To be honest! When I first got my vulcan, my dad and I both test drove it! Piss slow! maintenance wasnt up to date and now when he drives it, he says its like night and day! My mods arent huge but some are experimental! I understand some of these might be unreasonable but some of these cars Ive raced numerous times and something some people here dont realize is that numbers dont mean EVERYTHING!

Ive got a K&N filter to the fender (CAI), I bored my MAF out, Bored my TB, smoothed the little screws on the tb plate (to make it flush), rotated the plastic tube area to help keep IAC temperature readings lower! Also, Tranny cooler, and some great tires Yokohama Avid H4s! Also raised my struts to get rid of the saggy butt syndrome and that helps keep the car more level and creates better car weight distribution and less drag on the back!

I know none of this is that special but for me it definately works! And yes the FFV version has over 150 hp! Ive talked to a number of ASE certified mechanics and they all say "Why do you think that version of car has special parts!" and they give examples like exhaust manifolds, fuel lines, and other things like that! Im not saying my car is faster than the wind but seriously some people here hype up these cars so much! Yeah ive raced a 3.5L Altima and lost but the guy at the next light said "Hey that was pretty good!" He beat me by a car length and a half!

Ive destroyed 2.5L Altima's...and for the timeslips I dont have them! When we moved I pretty much lost a lot of that stuff! I had all of that in the garage which looked like hell! My dad went ape and threw a lot of my stuff away! Mid Life Crisis!

But forreal! I would have not started this topic if it was not true...oh and Im making a left on Norbeck Rd. here in maryland and this taurus riding next to me begins to start real fast so I knew the deal and got my car ready for the downshift and go! Were going and I look at his front fender and see the "24V DOHC" symbol and Im like "gosh, heres a loss!" Low and behold down the road at about 80mph he is at my rear bumper!

Make what you want out of it but...If you live near silver spring maryland then we can meet up if you think im lying about the nice amount of pep and torque my car and yours do! Don't underestimate them! There really not that slow for a sedan!

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
id almost drive there just to own.....

but its not quite worth the immense amount of gas involved, and i have better things to do.

p.s boring out your Maf will eff up your car, and just opening up the throttle plate, while maybe increasing response a tiny bit, will not add any power.

:flamethrowing:

1 - 20 of 151 Posts