Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving 75 on a highway last week and all of a sudden my car jerks really badly, I stopped at a red light and when it turned green the tires would lock and then the car would jerk again and the tires would screech and the car would take off with a loud reving sound and I couldn't go past 45 mph. Only sometimes I can't go past 45 though, but most of the time the car jerks. Should I get the trans rebuild or get a new car?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Finally positing here Gilla??? LOL But in any case, sounds like the tranny is taking a ****, but someone with more knowledge about the AXOD could chime in here, I don't really know his problem. I've driven the car only once, and it does shift rather rough, but I've never experienced what hes talkin about. Bottom line is there anything I could take a look at with him before the tranny is a consideration? Maybe does anyone think it could be the computer acting up, or is a 92 too old for the AXOD-E?

BTW it is a 92 GL Sedan with vulcan 3.0

·
Registered
470 Posts
**Update**

Pulled EEC Self test codes, got the following:

519 - PSP Switch/Circuit Open

542 - Fuel pump open, bad ground or always on

628 - Excessive Converter Clutch Slippage

646 - Transmission 2nd Gear Failure

647 - Transmission 3rd Gear Failure

648 - Transmission 4th Gear Failure

646, 647, and 648 don't look good <_< But the thing is those gears don't always not work, only sometimes.... :huh:

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
or you can pour in Lucas Tranny oil and try to get another 20K miles out of that thing before changing it. During this time, try and save enough money to change the tranny :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts