Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

My Taurus Wont Shift Out Of Park And The Brakelig

22K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  bkspain 
#1 ·
hey everyone i got a problem my car wont shift out of park and the brake lights wotn work could soemone please help me i dont know whats going on

#2 ·
Its the brake switch. From what I understand, cuz I havent had to deal with it, its a small switch right behind your brake pedal. If the switch is broken or isnt engaged, your brake lights wont come on, and your car will not shift. Someone with more knowledge can shine a bit more light on the situation for you.

#9 ·
It's gotta be adjusted right, too. Check your fuses, as well.

Qwertzy , the cruise control is disengaged two ways with the brake pedal: One is with the brake light switch, the other is the vacuum dump valve on the brake pedal.
Ford made it redundant for "safety" reasons. ("Safety"= "Liability")

#12 ·
To move the car with a busted brake switch, turn the key to on, but don't start the car. You should be able to move the selector to Nutral. Start the car in nuteral, then place it in drive, reverse, wherever. Just don't put it into drive untill you get where you need to be.

And yes, it is the switch or the wiring. You can probably use a mutlimeter to test the wiring.

-Dan

#14 ·
well the problem is fixed i got it into drive and got it to a shop and got it fixed and i didnt have to worry bout handsignals my dad drove behind me the entire way down to the shop so no one would run into me. thanks anyway oh and if you guys were wondering what was wrong it was the fuse the big one that runs the brakelights oh and just for futre reference what is the handsignal for stopping?

#15 ·
Stop = Left arm out the widow, and arm bent down toward the street.
Left = Left arm straight out, pointing left.
Right = Left arm out the window, and arm pointing up toward the sky.

P. S. I told you to check your fuses...

#18 ·
Taurus won't shift out of park - Fixed!

Late addition to this thread.

I had been having to replace fuses (#17 for the Stop lamp) before being able to shift. On the last go around, the 15A fuse would blow the minute I inserted it. I read about the BOO switch, and in my rummaging around up under the dash, saw that the two wires from the switch had been severed and were shorting out.

I inserted two short pieces of wire with some butt crimp connectors and that solved the problem. I had to take out the drivers seat though; there was no way I was going to get up under there with it in.

Maybe becasue I am 6'2", and I really didn't know exactly what I was looking for, it took about 3 1/2 hours

BKSpain
2001 Taurus SEL
Baltimore MD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.