Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 01 dohc taurus just wasted the tranny. 110k she lasted. looks about like 1500 for a reman version. So fellas is their any thing i should be aware of before dropping the cash for a new trans. My wife drives the car mainly but i like to hotrod it around on the weekends. is their shift kits avaliable or other upgrades?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nothin pretty sure it wasted the pump in the tranny. fluid is way up on the stick no foward or reverse gears. so its pretty much a gonner. has ford made any updates for these trannys they shift horrible to begin with.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have the AX4S, but I think kits are available for the AX4N. TransGo and Sonnax make improvement kits. Pump shafts have a habit of failing in these transmissions. Could be the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well here's the deal I've worked on cars all my life but when it comes to anything this new I'm pretty lost I replaced the ac compressor last year and that was a major PITA! Replacing a trans is a major job so its going to a friend of a freinds tranny shop to get rebuilt. I just wanted to make sure from other people that their were updates and some kinda shift "improver" kit to make sure the tranny guy knows about it and also make sure it will still be under warranty once all this is installed.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (jesusno2 @ May 30 2010, 02:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807931
Well here's the deal I've worked on cars all my life but when it comes to anything this new I'm pretty lost I replaced the ac compressor last year and that was a major PITA! Replacing a trans is a major job so its going to a friend of a freinds tranny shop to get rebuilt. I just wanted to make sure from other people that their were updates and some kinda shift "improver" kit to make sure the tranny guy knows about it and also make sure it will still be under warranty once all this is installed.[/b]
Put the trans go in there and make sure to put a huge tranny cooler in the grille. I put one rated for 8,000GVW and it was pretty small and useless...my tranny heated up to 280 easily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts