Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello anyone whos reading this. Haha

So I was commenting on a post about swapping the G4 Taurus`s Rear Drum breaks with Disk Brakes and I Kinda ..Sorta ..Totally broke off into a rant/ assessment of the car industry and the resurgence of older era cars that were not particularly popular in their own era. See; AMC Pacer & Gremlin.

On the forum every so often here pops a kid looking to turn his Taurus/Sable into a HyPe BeAsT mAcHiNe!!11!! With a loud ****** exhaust and matte black body panels and Chinese turbo whistles. ...Yea. (-_-) ok, and these type of people usually go either one of 2 ways, they get assimilated into the forum and dry their wet dreams, or they leave the forum all together. Which is fine either way because standard G3 and G4 Sables/Taurus`s (Not SHO or some kind of special edition) with the Vulcan or even the Duratec aren`t meant to be Sports Cars. And that's totally fine.

The role our car takes in our daily lives and the degree to which that we hold them are entirely subjective. You can use a particular car to serve a specific purpose, but at the end of the day it will not be that specific thing. That is unless extensive modifications are performed on it. For instance, you can load 2x6 wood poles, ceiling insulation and medium sized ceiling tiles in a Taurus; trust me, I`ve done it but not at the same time. Hahaha.
However that doesn`t mean my Taurus is necessarily a pickup or a Ford Ranger..

As Taurus caretakers we should maintain and respect these cars as they never really were in their past. Most are unfortunately regarded as Beater Cars and are only seen as appliances. However, as these cars continue to age, and their sightings on the road are numbered. The survivors that are not smashed or molested into oblivion will likely be cherished as a representative of the era it once was created for and existed.

Cars made today in 2021 are lightyears ahead of their ancestors from as early as the 90`s to mid 00`s. Computers have changed the game, and unfortunately that has taken a bit of the agency that we have had over our cars in the past. I can wrench in on my 00 Taurus and not need to worry about an abundance of sensors, firmware blockades and overly expensive and complex available parts. The era of simplicity and raw mechanical engineering has nearly passed, as will most of the neglected cars from those past eras. And so once the decades of Rice and Rat rods fade away, the survivors may finally see the admiration that they deserve. We`re seeing this now with late 70`s, 80`s and a good amount of 90`s cars. Why would late 90`s and 00`s cars be any different a decade or two from now? How many 1986-1995? Or even 1996-2007 Ford Taurus`s/Sables can you reasonably expect to see in 2040? Or hell even in 2030? I am currently 20, by then I will hopefully be in my 30`s or 40`s with children and a family, which is kind of strange to consider o_O. Seeing a 30 or 40 year old Taurus that hasn`t lost half its weight in rust will definitely be a sight to behold..

This is just my take, I`d to hear what you guys have to say.
Personally I`d like to keep this old gal around for as long as I feasibly can, keeping her nearly entirely stock all the way thru. She`s only got 79k miles on her and is still running like a dream. I figure I`ll take care of her, as long as she takes care of me.

Long live the Bulls Everyone!

By the way... Yes. I still do have the stock rims, for if I ever decide to go back to that Classic 00s Look. ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great take, I feel kind of the same about Rangers. I've had 2 and have fixed both up and really just improved on stuff that is now outdated (1993 and a 2000). Quite a lot of these will be rusted out, broken down or just destroyed because they're cheap beater trucks. But hey that's been like that for years, there will always be someone holding on to a beautiful version of their car until they die, then their kids will have it or it will be passed on to someone new. Even if they don't think it's worth anything when they stick it in the garage in 1967, 50 years later it's a gold mine and a rarity.

Anyways, you got a really nice looking bull, hope it continues to do you good. I personally am pretty tired of all this "modern engineering" in my 2013 so when she has a massive break down again she's sadly going away. As much as I do love the looks, I can't deal with the high demand for babying this car takes. Having the old 3.0 in my Ranger I know they are much more reliable, albeit slow.

Regular maintenance until she finally kicks the bucket for the second time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great perspective Connor, trucks especially are ran into the ground, usually beaten until the next contracting company decides to buy a new truck. And then finally destroyed by a crusher or a 17 year old with too little time behind the wheel. However, the survivors are most of the time pretty astounding to see. Whenever I catch a glimpse of a late 80`s early 90`s F-150 it kinda takes me back to that time. When you consider everything that truck has seen its pretty incredible: 3 Decades, 6 Presidencies, 2 separate virus outbreaks, The "End of the World" date 3 times and mind you 31 Winters. And yet it`s still on the road.. Awesome.

Best of luck to you and your Bull, although sometimes she seems like a nightmare. All in all she`ll be thankful that you kept her around as long as you did. And she understand when you have to let her go. :cry:

·
Registered
10,764 Posts
I have/had 4 G-4 and one G-4.5. Present 3 in my herd. Pic of one I bought for my daughter, (my title/insurance). It was from Texas, abandon in PA and repro by a low end car dealer for the Texas title holder. Minor hood bender which they fixed and consign sale which I bought. Month later tree fell on it as pic. Cut the tree off, insurance totaled and I bought back $406. No new title needed in my case. Had AAA tow to my house, got local to put in new windshield so it could be driven. Top glass from local pick a part, and with my daughter to same lot and bought a hood same year same color match, we put it on in the parking lot and returned the old hood. 8 years and 125K miles and I sold it for $500 to friend as winter beater as it had lots of rust. Two winters for him and still on the road: but. Saw it shop lot, needs fuel pump. He expects a third winter.
2 years ago bought the gold SEL for my daughter. Prime condition, one owner, well maintained, no rust, no smoking, super clean. Low cost, nice transportation, super tough cars.
My '03 Sable wagon, hard use hauling 7 years and 63K miles and it keeps on keeping on. It was a rescue car, cheap. For me trip to JY and things like spare tire and jack and such and fixed up.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
10,764 Posts
Car menu's. I expect like my Buick Lucerne '11. 90% or more of owners, maybe 98% cannot set the menu settings. This is old, system started in '06 so I imagine it only gets worse if possible.
To set #2 of 13 menu levels. I call the buttons A, B, C, D. Example. to set Auto Door Lock. C, C, D, C, or(CC) or (CCC), D, and pause. Done That is my short hand. In the book that takes couple paragraphs and couple pages. Items and buttons can have up to 3 word names.
Few years back, I bought a 10 year old Lincoln Cont. 40K miles, near showroom condition. Steering effort was set on HIGH. That is near to no power assist. It had a "steering effort" button on the panel. Push it and it changes and is shown in the display, repeat to desired. At Low it is similar to G-4 Bull. Somebody had been driving this thing like that. Simple system.
At least G-4 bulls, you have what you have. You can set the clock with no effort.
Friend, old like me, (81). Leased a Nissan Rogue as he gave his sedan to his daughter and did not expect to drive more than a few years. He asked me what the 5 different driving settings mean. Really? He uses Economy. Said he might use "Snow" I will bet he will forget even that.
Old School Me. I might buy one more used car in my life. G-4 Bull if my wagon expires. Expect my Buick to last. Large, column shift, quiet, comfortable, powerful. 3.9 V6.
-chart-

·
Super Moderator
8,667 Posts
Agree 100% with Mike on all the completely unnecessary complexity of newer cars. That is another reason I will continue to drive my old Fords. They are extremely reliable, parts are relatively cheap and I can fix everything myself.

On the other hand, I have a crap load of "extra" electronics in my 86 Tbird 5.0 and 88 Turbo Coupe that rival many features of modern cars, all designed and built by me. Since I designed and built them myself, if any of my add on electronics have an issue, which is extremely rare, I can easily troubleshoot and repair them often for little to no cost.

Reactions: Guitarman412

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think there is a bias against the "bubble" car era in general. This coupled with the fact that the 4-door sedan is pretty much dead (or dying) these days. There are also stories of some of these era cars being plagued with issues. I have experienced many of these issues and this forum is great for help in correcting.

That said, both my college age kids have 2000 era sedans as their transportation. Both were handed down from their grandparents. For this forum, the 03 Sable is the subject. As an owner of many cars (sports cars and trucks) if these were not my kids college cars, they would be winter beaters for me. They are purpose built to move several people comfortably and affordably for daily driving. Their design is dated and are typically not very good performance vehicles. Save my dad's 2010 Taurus SHO, which does not echo this sentiment. So, for me, the purpose is cheap transportation for my college kids, once they move on, I'm not sure they will be something that I would want to keep other than for sentimental value as they were from my parents. I just dont think costly improvements or modifications are worth what the value for these cars is at. I just do everything I can to keep them clean and running, do not neglect, and respect them for what they are.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi, I have a 97 Sable LS Duratec. 179k. My daily driver. One more year and it will qualify as an antique in the AACA. I take care of it. Performance White btw. Just came back rom the local AACA show (Antique Automobile Club of America), in Natural Bridge, VA, where I entered my 1979 AMC Spirit. The Sable was our support vehicle. It never fails. (ok, had to rebuild the transmission once:) Maybe next year it can be in the show! thanks, gz

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
As I've gotten older I've found I enjoy having a "beater" that I can apply mechanical sympathy to. These cars fit that role perfectly, probably because I have a soft spot for them. Probably because my 06 was the first vehicle I ever threw wrenches at. Started a long, difficult road full of frustration, satisfaction, and new useful skills. I also think they blend smooth, soft driving with decent handling. It's the perfect compromise between the two. And it has a ridiculous amount of room as well. Just overall good vehicles to drive, even with how dated they are. Now everything has to be fast and ride like a sports car. I love my Mustang GT, but sometimes i just want to relax behind the wheel and float down the road.

I do wonder if these cars will ever be looked at differently than they are now. They were so ubiquitous in their time to the point where nearly everyone had a direct experience with one. Many were young when they first got their hands on one, dreaming of something faster while deferring maintenance as far as they could due to low budgets. None of my friends understand why I like them, so I think we still have a long way to go before they will be appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm still in love with (and on my third) very old Taurus wagon. 1995

First Taurus was 1987 (used, very high mileage, wrecked)

1995 #1 (bought lightly used, drove many, many miles, gave up when pedal went to the floor and they told me the brake system was no longer made and could not be replaced. Was very depressed)

Drove another car for a year, hated it and it tried to kill me.

1995 #2, bought a year after the first one died (2011) with 14K miles. I'm still driving it. It now has 30K as I work from home now, and drive a lot less. I maintain it very carefully and plan to keep it as long as I have a license... so at least 30 more years :) btw, last year, I replaced the brake system on it. They're now making something that wasn't around in 2010... definitely aftermarket. Grateful.

So for me, the future is a 1995 Ford Taurus Station wagon... And yes, I plan to rebuild it if that's what it takes.I have both the original stock wheels and a set of aluminum wheels that came off another Taurus. Somewhere those evil plastic wheel covers too...

btw, the other family car is a 2004 Prius. it has a ton of miles on it and likely to have many more. We may trade it in another five years... maybe.

We could probably afford to spend 60K on a new car, but I really like my car and the money is good too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts