Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the trick where you brake hard 60-0 ten times to burn the dust off of the rotors, but my wheel still shakes when I hit the brakes on my 01 Sable LS. It is smooth on the road and highway, just shaky when I hit the brakes. What should I do next?

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
:werd:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Don't waste your time turning front rotors. It never works for long.

It is usually the rotors but it could be a front end component like a bad ball joint.

Pull the wheels and check out all of the componets. Ball joints tie rods, and look at brakes.

Are your front tires wearing evenly. Any signs of inside or outside wear?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Don't waste your time turning front rotors. It never works for long.

It is usually the rotors but it could be a front end component like a bad ball joint.

Pull the wheels and check out all of the componets. Ball joints tie rods, and look at brakes.

Are your front tires wearing evenly. Any signs of inside or outside wear?

+1 to everything nbpt100 said, any one of those things could cause that symptom. Even if the rotors look okay put them on a flat surface for any obvious warp and check them for cracks.

·
Registered
562 Posts
an easy way to check is to jack the car so the tire is off the ground then with your hands at the sides see if you can force the wheel in and out. If the tie rod ends are bad you may notice the clicking sound or extra movement. It may help to have someone watch from underneath (make sure you use appropriate jack stands and not just the lift) to see where the movement is. Then with your hands at the top and bottom see if you can rock the tire in and out at the bottom. You will have to use some force to do this but again you will notice extra movement or sound if the ball joint is bad. good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts