Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my 91 SHO MTX and the starter kept running... turned the key on and off a few times, and it seemed to stop,.. I got it home and tried to start it and the starter would spin but not turn the engine over.

I replaced the starter and selonoid that mounts on the fender fire wall.

At this point I'm thinking the problem is in the ignition switch.... I'm going to experiment with a push button switch wired directly to the selenoid, if it works then fine thats what I'll go with, but if anyone might know what the problem is I'd appreciate any help..

Also I have the infamous random stalling problem that I've seen discussed on this forum alot.. Driving down the road and the car just dies in its tracks.. When this first started happening I would wait a period of usually 15 - 20 minutes and the car would start again.. As time went by I began to realize that every time it died I didn't hear the fuel pump activating while cranking the engine....

As more time went by I realized that the car would start after I got out of the car and checked under the hood.

as even more time went by I realized the car would start after i closed my door from getting back in the car from checking under the hood,

Now I've read it a few places and have been told to do many things to fix this problem.. I don't want to seem ignorant, but I refuse to replace the Crank Position sensor, or the fuel pump when slaming the hood or door will get the car going again... I believe it to be a loose wire somewhere in the nest of misery under the hood.

Finally my last gripe with my SHO is that every now and then my brake pedal won't return to its resting point and I have to pull it back up by putting my foot under it... I have replaced all rotors calipers pads and hoses on the car... It seems this car just refuses to get fixed.. Located in central PA 20 mins from Harrisburg, I will part with this Gem for $1200 or best offer, and trust me any reasonable offer will be considered.. Its a 91 sho+ Emerald green.. Pics and more info available by request.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Random stalling problem is most likely the CPS. Closing hoods and doors is coincidental IMHO. The brake pedal problem is the spring in the brake booster has gotten weak. You can't replace the spring, you have to replace the brake booster. For a temp fix, I installed a throttle spring on the brake pedal to help the pedal return properly.

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The SHO is Back in action... Heres what the deal was.
When I went to the Parts store and got my new starter and selonoid / starter switch that mounts on the fender fire wall, the gave me a faulty selononoid thats why after i was done installing and started it up the starter kept running. I went and exchanged the selonoid for another and everything is fine...

Thanks for the reply about the brake booster, I wasn't sure if it might be the master cylinder or not, I priced a new booster for about $75 - $80.. But wow thats gonna be a tight spot to work on under the hood, right now I'm sure I don't have the time..

The reply in regards to my CPS needing replaced????? Well there again Maybe, Maybe not, I may not have been clear enough when I said the car starts when I slam My door or hood... I don't mean it starts sometimes when I slam my door or hood... I mean it starts all the time when I slam my door or hood.... Otherwise the car would just crank over all day long and not fire, as soon as you slam the hood or door , Bam its ready for another 1000 miles or so....

Thanks again for the reply... PS. and now that it runs again the sale price just went up to $1500 firm.... :p

·
Registered
230 Posts
random stalling could also be due to unplugging the battery and not resetting the idle speed. to reset the idle, unplug the battery, turn your brights on and leave it like that to drain power for about 15 minutes. then hook your battery back up, start the car and let the idle stabalize for about 30 seconds. now within under 70 secinds of starting the car, put it under full accessory load (brights on, max AC, hit the brake, slowly rotate the wheel). i'm not sure how long to do this for, but i kept it up for about 5 minutes and i took it for a ride and was fine.
hope this was of some help
matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts