Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very proud after I wrote this on another board, thought I would share.
There was an argument about GM vs Ford engines and they were all talking about LS1's & LS6's, etc. vs. 4.6 & 5.4 V8's. The Ford guys were doing a very nice job and making good points sticking up for the Fords. Of course the age old - "Ford had to Supercharge" arguments came up, but GM has a HUGE displacement advantage. Then they started talking about the Impala police car... Blah blah... I won't get into it any more, lol, but here's what I posted:

The City of Cleveland is now using Tauruses again as police cars (as a matter of fact I just saw one on the news while typing this) - and there is no longer a police package offered for the Taurus as there was in the early to mid 90's!  Now that's saying a lot - to put a car in production as a fully badged, painted and light bar equipped police car when there isn't a police package.  I have to say, my Taurus does excellent in the city.  Lots of low end torque and Taurses are amazingly reliable and take a beating (especially the 4th generation).  Tauruses are VERY widely used as fleet and rental cars for this very reason.  Government agencies such as the FBI and state and local governments use Tauruses for a TON of white collar and undercover work.  They are just solid, reliable, tough and long lasting cars.  All you guys are arguing about engines and are only talking about higher powered V8's and trying to compare them to an Impala, which makes no sense.  Ford has been using the 3.0L 2V Vulcan engine since the late 80's.  It's been in the Taurus since it's second year of production as well as in the Ford Aerostar, Windstar and Ranger.  The Ford Ranger has the highest rating for longevity with this engine.  You can absolutely beat the piss out of this engine and it does not break.  Obviously it isn't the fastest thing in the world - but that’s not what’s important in city patrols/pursuits - it's more than adequate for average city and highway emergency maneuvers.  All modern Taurus police cars that I’ve seen in use either had the Vulcan or the Flex Fuel Vulcan engine.  If you want to argue that it’s not powerful enough, the upgraded 24V Duratec engine offers a very nice alternative.  This engine has been proven to be just as reliable as the Vulcan and puts out 200HP/200 torque (which can dramatically increase just with exhaust & intake) and is known for running a high 15s ¼ mile time @ about 93 MPH (I’ve personally witnessed such – STOCK).  That speed is more than sufficient to keep up with a suspect in city conditions.  The Duratec engine has a powerband that spreads very evenly over a wide range of RPM’s.  Another thing about the Taurus is you would not believe how well it handles especially being equipped with a fully independent suspension with MacPherson struts and 16â€Â� aluminum rims stock with 6â€Â� wide tires.  This puts the Taurus on a very good footprint for anything (weather, dry handling, etc.).  It is equipped with OEM Continental ContiContact AS Touring tires which are excellent.  Plus it has higher safety ratings than every car in its class and is equipped with Ford’s patented Personal Safety System which includes a whole slew of features to keep people safe.  The Taurus also has a shorter stopping distance than every car in its class (even with it’s rear drums compared to others’ 4 wheel discs), therefore making it ideal for in city police work.  The FWD handles well and the Traction Control is absolutely amazing in snow.  On a final note, I have a web hosting/design company that does work for police stations.  Every police station we’ve been to that had Impalas hated them.  As a matter of fact, 2 of them had Impalas and phased them out and replaced them with Crown Vics in a period of 6 months!

To sum up my points… The vulcan can deliver low end torque like no other and do it reliably (and is cheap, very cheap), the Duratec is a very nice alternative if that doesn’t satisfy you.  The Taurus can outhandle the cars in its class (Intrepid & Impala) stock for stock.  It is the safest vehicle in its class and has excellent proven reliability, durability and longevity as proven by its extensive fleet/rental usage.  The absolutely amazing thing is they are using it as a police car in its STOCK PUBLICLY AVAILABLE FORM.  Mad props to the Taurus.  :headbang:[/b]

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
If I were a cop, I would demand a Crown Vic. That profession just cries for a badass car (although Gen4's do look damn sexy with a lightbar)

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
And to think people still just think of it as a grandma car. How little they all know.

Good post Jason.

-mobiuslogic

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments guys... nobody has come up with a response to that post yet.
There's not much to argue about with it
I actually put quite a bit of time into it because there was a lot of Taurus bashing going on - this was an effort to set them straight.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Dang, you sumed that up nicely Jason. Good job!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@Mar 20 2004, 11:11 AM
  There was an argument about GM vs Ford engines and they were all talking about LS1's & LS6's, etc. vs. 4.6 & 5.4 V8's.  The Ford guys were doing a very nice job and making good points sticking up for the Fords.  Of course the age old - "Ford had to Supercharge" arguments came up, but GM has a HUGE displacement advantage. 
Jason8225, I take it that when you quote the GM guys that Ford had to supercharge you are talking about the 03-04 Cobra's, you can tell them that with no supecharger the Mach1(4.6 DOHC) is winning at the track against late model Camaro SS and Firebird Trans Am, this is with giving them about 70 cubes in displacement.

Pete

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Cobrapete+Mar 20 2004, 10:26 PM-->QUOTE (Cobrapete @ Mar 20 2004, 10:26 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-jason8225
@Mar 20 2004, 11:11 AM
  There was an argument about GM vs Ford engines and they were all talking about LS1's & LS6's, etc. vs. 4.6 & 5.4 V8's.  The Ford guys were doing a very nice job and making good points sticking up for the Fords.  Of course the age old - "Ford had to Supercharge" arguments came up, but GM has a HUGE displacement advantage. 
Jason8225, I take it that when you quote the GM guys that Ford had to supercharge you are talking about the 03-04 Cobra's, you can tell them that with no supecharger the Mach1(4.6 DOHC) is winning at the track against late model Camaro SS and Firebird Trans Am, this is with giving them about 70 cubes in displacement.

Pete
[/b]
Yup, that was a huge part of the debate. Thanks for the ammo.

I love the 4.6 - I think it's an awesome engine - every time I drive my grandpa's Grand Marquis it reinforces my thoughts on the 4.6

-Jason

·
Registered
549 Posts
The Taurus also has a shorter stopping distance than every car in its class (even with it’s rear drums compared to others’ 4 wheel discs)[/b]
I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. I remember reading a comparison test recently (can't remember which magazine though) and the Taurus had one of the longest stopping distances.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Don't forget GM had a hell of a time making a good DOHC engine in the 90's. That and they have to supercharge the 3800 Series (1,2,3) engines, and now offering superchargers on EcoTec engines. Then again they aren't sports cars that these engines come in, but neither is a Taurus. The Impala Police car, Intrepid Police car, Taurus "Police" car (""meaning it has no special police package), what does it matter, most of the officers that are left (older) like RWD cars (priority). Also they can with stand more of a beating. Example, go over a curb in FWD car and you might bend or break something, do it in Crown Vic, and do it again, again, and again. These cars HAVE to be able to take a beating. The Chicago Police Department was offered to try a few hundred (dont remember how many) Intrepid Police cars, but they denied it because they love Crown Vics. They would have got them for free just to waste them but its not worth it, and then they have to change all there parts they have for that certain car to another car just to accomodate it. (oil, oil filters, replacement doors, windows, lights, etc.)

-Nick

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by dIESEL600@Mar 21 2004, 12:36 PM
The Taurus also has a shorter stopping distance than every car in its class (even with it’s rear drums compared to others’ 4 wheel discs)
I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. I remember reading a comparison test recently (can't remember which magazine though) and the Taurus had one of the longest stopping distances. [/b][/quote]
I know for sure that it outstops the interpid. But I remember reading a review saying it had the best stopping power in its class. However, with the way people butcher stuff about the Tauruses anymore they could have been comparing a SHO or something to the others.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by SaturdaysVulcan@Mar 21 2004, 02:20 PM
Don't forget GM had a hell of a time making a good DOHC engine in the 90's. That and they have to supercharge the 3800 Series (1,2,3) engines, and now offering superchargers on EcoTec engines. Then again they aren't sports cars that these engines come in, but neither is a Taurus. The Impala Police car, Intrepid Police car, Taurus "Police" car (""meaning it has no special police package), what does it matter, most of the officers that are left (older) like RWD cars (priority). Also they can with stand more of a beating. Example, go over a curb in FWD car and you might bend or break something, do it in Crown Vic, and do it again, again, and again. These cars HAVE to be able to take a beating. The Chicago Police Department was offered to try a few hundred (dont remember how many) Intrepid Police cars, but they denied it because they love Crown Vics. They would have got them for free just to waste them but its not worth it, and then they have to change all there parts they have for that certain car to another car just to accomodate it. (oil, oil filters, replacement doors, windows, lights, etc.)

-Nick
Definitely. I'm certainly not saying the Taurus is a better police car than the crown vic. It most definitely isn't. I agree with you that the crown vic is the best.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got a reply on the other board and here was my response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeViL
Wow thats nice........so what? The Taurus is just another weakass, halfbaked family car like the last generation Monte Carlo. I can't believe there are actually a bunch of fanboys who drool over it.

Weakass??? Halfbaked??? Awfully general arguments, eh? The Taurus has been in production for almost 20 years and millions upon millions of them have been sold. It also comes with a performance legacy with the SHO's which pretty much marked the beginning of the domestic sports sedans when they were released in 1989. Cars that are weakass and halfbaked don't make it through 20 years of production, don't get a performance line, and don't sell millions. And, to date, there are over 2600 fans of them (non-SHO's) registered at www.taurusclub.com and the SHO community is even larger.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by WarSong@Mar 21 2004, 02:42 PM
Doesn't the Monte Carlo SS have ONLY 200 HP?

Chevy has destroyed the SS name.
Super suck, har har har.

The Chevy SS is a nice lookin truck, though.

I love my Taurus, not because it's a Taurus but because it's a bad a** car. A couple of problems, sure, but it gets me places and it does it nice

1 - 15 of 15 Posts