Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am wondering if any one know a good way to get transmission smell out of my car smells real bad please help :tcca:

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Get an Air Sponge: http://www.naturesairsponge.com/

They have them at Ace Hardware, and my grocery store even has some knock offs that work well. Just open it up, put it under your seat, and leave it there for a few weeks. While it's open in your car your car won't smell too great (the air sponge stinks, too), but once it's done in a week or two remove the air sponge, air out the car for a day, and the odor will be gone.

Another trick is to spread baking soda on the area of the carpet the spill was on and vacuum it up--hasn't worked too well for me, but I've heard others have had luck.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I would put the baking soda down and leave it for a few days. Then I would vacuum it up and clean the area with degreaser(Simple Green, Zep citrus cleaner, 409, etc), then rinse with clean water and dry.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Maybe that's been my problem with the baking soda...didn't leave it on long enough. I usually vacuumed it up after 24 hours. Try egiroux's few days idea, might work.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I forgot to mention work the baking soda down into the carpet fibers with your hands or stiff bristle brush when you put it down.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Did it get spilled on the interior floor mats, or the floor carpet?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I would put the baking soda down and leave it for a few days. Then I would vacuum it up and clean the area with degreaser(Simple Green, Zep citrus cleaner, 409, etc), then rinse with clean water and dry.
I would skip that baking soda, and use a shop vac, hot water, and a degreaser (as stated above). Work the degreaser into the carpet, let stand for half hour, then use hot water to soak it down, use the shop vac to suck it up. Repeat this a few times, it should get most if not all of it out. I wouldn't use 409, as it contains bleach. I know how bad atf stinks, I think it smells like cat urine.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would skip that baking soda, and use a shop vac, hot water, and a degreaser (as stated above). Work the degreaser into the carpet, let stand for half hour, then use hot water to soak it down, use the shop vac to suck it up. Repeat this a few times, it should get most if not all of it out. I wouldn't use 409, as it contains bleach. I know how bad atf stinks, I think it smells like cat urine.
yes it does ok i will try that thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts