Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a very slight external leak in regards to my oil. I think its the bank 2 valve cover. I also am losing oil out the exhaust.

I took 2 trips out of Indiana in the last two months.

I drove about 450 miles from Indiana to West Virginia and back for thanksgiving. (I saw a customized silver sable with what looked like Gen3 sho rims, and a spoiler it was really nice near Washington CH, OH area Speedway.) I took receipts, I kept mileages between fill ups and at 70mph I averaged 27mpg with cruise being on majority of the time. (used 2 qts of oil each way)

I drove about 850 miles from Indiana to Lexington Park, MD and back for Christmas. Same thing, I kept receipts, I kept mileages etc, and although I exceeded the speed limit by about 20mph along the pittsburg part of the turn pike (its very curvy), I still over all averaged 25 and 26 mpg on the way there, and 26 mpg on the way back. (No rush to get back) (used 3 qts each way)

Now here's the crazy part. during normal around town driving, my wife gets like 15mpg, she says she has to stomp on it all the time to get it to move, but she gets crappy gas mileage, but NO real oil loss. Now on the interstate, or when you dump on it and it gets high rpms between shifts hitting 7k rpms, I get a very slight puff of smoke, and then its gone. If you just drive it gently, no high rpms, no passing situations, the car gets great gas mileage city or highway, and no real oil loss but the valve cover.

I was wondering if maybe my IMRC's are sticking or something allowing excess oil to be sucked in or something. I know I need to replace my back 2 O2 sensors, as I get the P0171 and P0174 codes (which while that code is lit, i get sucky gas mileage, but if I reset it with my scanner, the mileage is fine again.)

Before the 2 trips, I replaced the hoses from the valve covers to the intake, and the entire PVC hose system under the intake.

I did pull the back hose from the back valve cover while on my trip and their was oil and water in the little elbow that attaches to the intake. Maybe I cut too much off my snorkel when I made the hole bigger? I heard that can be ( the oilly water build up) because of the engine not getting hot enough to burn off the condensation.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Ok, I have a very slight external leak in regards to my oil. I think its the bank 2 valve cover. I also am losing oil out the exhaust.

I took 2 trips out of Indiana in the last two months.

I drove about 450 miles from Indiana to West Virginia and back for thanksgiving. (I saw a customized silver sable with what looked like Gen3 sho rims, and a spoiler it was really nice near Washington CH, OH area Speedway.) I took receipts, I kept mileages between fill ups and at 70mph I averaged 27mpg with cruise being on majority of the time. (used 2 qts of oil each way)

I drove about 850 miles from Indiana to Lexington Park, MD and back for Christmas. Same thing, I kept receipts, I kept mileages etc, and although I exceeded the speed limit by about 20mph along the pittsburg part of the turn pike (its very curvy), I still over all averaged 25 and 26 mpg on the way there, and 26 mpg on the way back. (No rush to get back) (used 3 qts each way)

Now here's the crazy part. during normal around town driving, my wife gets like 15mpg, she says she has to stomp on it all the time to get it to move, but she gets crappy gas mileage, but NO real oil loss. Now on the interstate, or when you dump on it and it gets high rpms between shifts hitting 7k rpms, I get a very slight puff of smoke, and then its gone. If you just drive it gently, no high rpms, no passing situations, the car gets great gas mileage city or highway, and no real oil loss but the valve cover.

I was wondering if maybe my IMRC's are sticking or something allowing excess oil to be sucked in or something. I know I need to replace my back 2 O2 sensors, as I get the P0171 and P0174 codes (which while that code is lit, i get sucky gas mileage, but if I reset it with my scanner, the mileage is fine again.)

Before the 2 trips, I replaced the hoses from the valve covers to the intake, and the entire PVC hose system under the intake.

I did pull the back hose from the back valve cover while on my trip and their was oil and water in the little elbow that attaches to the intake. Maybe I cut too much off my snorkel when I made the hole bigger? I heard that can be ( the oilly water build up) because of the engine not getting hot enough to burn off the condensation.
[/b]
That Oil in the exhaust sounds like a blown headgasket to me. But I may be wrong. As for the oily build up, That Elbow is your PCV Valve, If you take it off and shake it and it doesnt rattle then its probably bad/stuck and may be causing your Oil smoke problem.

The PCV System works by removing the gases and oil that blast past the piston rings. My guess is its building up pressure and blowing the gases into the combustion chamber and burning.

·
Super Moderator
8,225 Posts
P0171 / 0174 are NOT due to bad O2 sensors!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
even though you reset the code you still have the problem i don't see how that would effect the mileage maybe someone else can explain it cause the problem would still be there it just wouldn't have the little light on the dash

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is an awesome site. You confirmed the fix for a huge headache for my aunt in Maryland. Thanks!

even though you reset the code you still have the problem i don't see how that would effect the mileage maybe someone else can explain it cause the problem would still be there it just wouldn't have the little light on the dash
[/b]
I heard that if your O2 sensors are working normally, then send out the wrong numbers to the PCM saying "wait, the exhaust is too lean" due to a intermittent malfunction in the voltage reading it could set those codes. I am probably wrong, and I am definitely going to replace the DPFE on my car, (once I find it :) )but I did notice poorer gas mileage when the codes were set, then after I reset the code and keep driving. I dont know, maybe its all in my head. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts