Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
since 2006 My family has owned 94 taurus replacing our beloved aerostar.
Which we still have but was relieved of duty in 2007 when we got an explorer. but my dad says when he gets back from Iraq he's going to fix it and take it to school.

and a few months ago my grandfather told me when I get my Permit he's going to give me a relatives 92 Taurus.

so here it is she needs a water pump but that's about it.

He emailed a picture a few days ago

It looks so AWESOME!!!! :wub:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Treat her well! Hopefully she lasts you a long while :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Awesome! No reason to wait for your permit to get over there and start gettin' her cleaned up and ready to go :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
How long has it been sitting there? You may need to drain out the gas, bleed the entire brake system, and replace the fuel filter after a couple of fresh tanks of gas with a can Sea Foam in it. Flush out the cooling system when you replace the water pump. A good wash and high speed compound with a wax after will do wonders with the paint (but don't DIY with the high speed compound unless you've done it before, or you'll burn off the paint).

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Its been sitting about 3 mths, gas is fine. Bleed the front brakes since I swapped those calipers over. Brakes are good. Work great. A good wash and wax will be coming up. Finishing interiors next.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Its been sitting about 3 mths, gas is fine. Bleed the front brakes since I swapped those calipers over. Brakes are good. Work great. A good wash and wax will be coming up. Finishing interiors next.
I would use a clay bar after washing it, they do a good job at pulling dirt out of the paint. Hubcaps can be had for cheap at junkyards. I bought a '93 Taurus GL when I was 17 (back in '97). Do you have the Vulcan engine?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, we need to know what size motor you have! 3.0L or 3.8L?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would use a clay bar after washing it, they do a good job at pulling dirt out of the paint. Hubcaps can be had for cheap at junkyards. I bought a '93 Taurus GL when I was 17 (back in '97). Do you have the Vulcan engine?

Yes it does,Thankfully

my Dad's 94 taurus Gl and our old Aerostar have this engine.

the 3.0 ltr

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Looks like it will clean up nicely. Along with the cooling system work, make sure you service the transmission(fluid and filter).

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
I would replace all of the hoses as a preventative measure. No quicker way to lose that good feeling than when a hose blows on a hot day!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HAHA!!!

Good news my Grandfather emailed me (upon request) and he told me that the vehicle does run despite the water pump.

So it might be possible to drive it home.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks like a nice straight old Taurus that needs a couple of bucks thrown at it...shouldn't take long to get that guy up a going decently. I would drive the hell out of that car...nice find!B)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
HAHA!!!

Good news my Grandfather emailed me (upon request) and he told me that the vehicle does run despite the water pump.

So it might be possible to drive it home.
....unless you want to put in a new head gasket, or engine. Don't start it unless your just going to move it out of the yard, and onto a trailer! Why not just replace the water pump, flush out the cooling system, where the car sits right now? That way, you don't risk overheating. Water pumps are pretty cheap, buy Motorcraft if you want it to last longer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

It's been awhile since I posted but I still have yet to get my learners permit mainly due to the fact it's been busy.

but My dad says i can have his Taurus and I might go with that one......

so far it has some issues like there is a lot of water coming out of the pipe and when it runs for a while the radiator leaks but we've only been using it to jumpstart the Explorer and i might be the one to relieve it of that duty.

The one My grandfather has for me would be a hassle for me to get up to where we live..although I like it's paint better

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
OK, but we still don't know if Grandpa's is a 3.8L or not. (Try to avoid a 3.8L if you can, not worth the hassle to own). And what pipe exactly on Dad's Taurus has a lot of water coming out of it?
Paint on Dad's car appears to be in much better shape too.

Thank your Dad for his service to our Country for us.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
OK, but we still don't know if Grandpa's is a 3.8L or not. (Try to avoid a 3.8L if you can, not worth the hassle to own). And what pipe exactly on Dad's Taurus has a lot of water coming out of it?
Paint on Dad's car appears to be in much better shape too.

Thank your Dad for his service to our Country for us.
they both have the 3.0 :lol2:

the tailpipe has water coming out of it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

It's been awhile since I posted but I still have yet to get my learners permit mainly due to the fact it's been busy.

but My dad says i can have his Taurus and I might go with that one......

so far it has some issues like there is a lot of water coming out of the pipe and when it runs for a while the radiator leaks but we've only been using it to jumpstart the Explorer and i might be the one to relieve it of that duty.

The one My grandfather has for me would be a hassle for me to get up to where we live..although I like it's paint better
It's been two flippin years -_- oh my goodness. can get my license in two weeks to boot.

But I'm finally getting this sucker running next month

Got a job, starting my own Insurance this weekend... -_- gosh

1 - 20 of 21 Posts