Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '99 Duratech, the manual calls for 5.5 Qts, but it is still down
about 1/2 - 3/4 Qt. but i got the info out of the 98 book, is it accurate?
also on my 98 it says 4.5 Qts and it is also about 1/2 Qt down after
change w/filters, shoould i just fill them up?
thanks, dave :huh:

G

·
there's W/ Filter and W/O Filter. I know for a fact that w/ filter a Duratec Takes 5 9/10 qts of oil. The amount that you're looking at is most likely w/o filter. So they aren't taking the Filter itself into concideration. Start the vehicle with the 5.5qts. and add to top it off.

Remember anywhere on the slashed area is good.
Good Luck

Sal

·
Registered
98 Posts
Don't know if the book is accurate or not. Sounds like it might not be compensating for the oil in the oil filter. Depending on the size of the filter some can hold up to 1/2 quart. You can safely top your oil off, and shouldn't have a problem.

G

·
Originally posted by healthcoach dave@Aug 18 2004, 09:25 PM
On my '99 Duratech, the manual calls for 5.5 Qts, but it is still down
about 1/2 - 3/4 Qt. but i got the info out of the 98 book, is it accurate?
also on my 98 it says 4.5 Qts and it is also about 1/2 Qt down after
change w/filters, shoould i just fill them up?
thanks, dave :huh:
Did you let the engine sit for a while after running so the oil can settle back down before measuring? I've had a Lincoln Mercury dealer check my oil while the engine was running and over filled it by 1.3 quarts.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I always add 6 quarts.... to both the Taurus and the Contour. I use different filters depending on where I happen to be when I need to buy one... sometimes its the Motorcraft, or the Napa Gold, or the Mobil 1.... even K&N.... But the car still takes 6 quarts to read full on the dipstick

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I put about 5.25 quarts in when I change mine with filter. I typically use either the Motorcraft or the Bosch filters, so they're a normal size. I actually think the Motorcraft filter is slightly longer than the Bosch filter, or that's what it seemed to me this last weekend, when I went from Bosch to Motorcraft.

JR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts