Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.. been looking for answer for my problem,.. help is needed..great site.. with lots of infos..
couple of days ago, I was driving on the freeway, 70 mph,.. or so,.. and noticed the speed just decreasing.. tried to push the gas pedal, but not enough power from the engine.just kept on slowing down, to about 40-45 mph.. or so.. not the tranny, but the engine just did not want to push further.. as I was trying to pull off the freeway,.. heard puff sound, and started to give more power to the engine.. parked the car,.. and looked under the hood,... and found out the dpfe sensor gone.. just gone.. ???and connector touching the exhaust, and burned.. thank god the car connector side stayed o.k.. and the heat was messing up the plastic pipes of the vent.. etc..
did anyone have such a problem on your car..?? is it the catalytic plugging up..?? the car starts and runs o.k.. when restarted,.. and in short time,.. couple of minutes,.. it feels the same.. gas pedal just not pushing enough power to drive right.. it really feels like the pressure is on the catalytic..

if so,.. any good solutions,..?? cleaning the cat...?? or check some other stuffs,..?? I did take off the o2 sensor to see if that would help the pressure,.. and it does.. it did help..help is appreciated..

my car is 2001 dohc, merc. sable about 132km..

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
I've been there, your converter is plugged for sure. The back pressure destroyed you dpfe just as it did mine several months ago. Find a dpfe from a junk yark... Brand new will cost a ###### fortune... be sure to replace the oxygen sensors also, don't try and keep em or you'll be replacing the whole setup again... also, change your plug wires and plugs. The back pressure fried them in my car...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your reply.. if it's going to keep on doing the samething,.. I should take care of the catalytic problem first. so I can get the problem solved.. before putting the dpfe set up again.. well.. I've read in this forum about bypassing the dpfe set up all together,.. did anyone try this..?? seems to be an option,.. at this point,.. to see what it does,.. but don't think that would help a clogged cat. very much,.. pressure should be there.. any thoughts on cat ?? should I just replace it,..??
my car runs smooth at this time.. I mean there is no misfiree,.. or rough idles,..etc.. just happened couple of days ago,.. so I don't think there was any further damage to the engine,.. any more inputs will be appreciated.. thanks.. jc..

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
The back pressure will cause it to start missing...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I would have to change the cat.. there's three. the o2 that I took out to bring it home was the after the two small cats, before the big 3 rd. cat. if that's the case,.. my guess will be the big 3rd. cat.. am I right..?? or should all three have to be changed.. for the degree of pre clogged cats..?? what are the chances..??

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
The third one might not be bad you can look into it and see if its any good... Do you have emissions testing where you are? if you don't then just take down the assembly and cut out all the honey comb stuff...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well.. I'm in california.,,.. the worst emmission controlled state of them all.. believe me.. it's super duper tough out here.. gets to be incredible level of restrictions here.. thanks for your input though.. jc..

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
QUOTE (jc01sable2x @ May 23 2009, 01:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727361
thanks for your reply.. if it's going to keep on doing the samething,.. I should take care of the catalytic problem first. so I can get the problem solved.. before putting the dpfe set up again.. well.. I've read in this forum about bypassing the dpfe set up all together,.. did anyone try this..?? seems to be an option,.. at this point,.. to see what it does,.. but don't think that would help a clogged cat. very much,.. pressure should be there.. any thoughts on cat ?? should I just replace it,..??
my car runs smooth at this time.. I mean there is no misfiree,.. or rough idles,..etc.. just happened couple of days ago,.. so I don't think there was any further damage to the engine,.. any more inputs will be appreciated.. thanks.. jc..[/b]
Come by a vacuum gauge & follow it's instructions for doing an exhaust restriction test.
Maybe you have a bent up or crimped exhaust pipe some where.

If you find a cat converter has melted down internally, you need to find out why & fix that problem, before replacing any cat converter.

Look for fuel trim problems, or maybe excessive oil consumption, or a combination of the two.

I'd have the computer scanned for trouble codes, even if the SES/CEL light isn't on. Post ALL of the code numbes found.

More thoughts for pondering.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts