Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today i took my car into the local car stereo shop and they hooked up their db meter to my car.. its a pretty nice one it's hooked up to a computer...not the cheap thing they have at radio shack.. anyways heres some quick pictures of my stereo

Pioneer 5500MP

2 Eclipse 10" subs

and the amp is a MTX 8000 series amp pushing the subs with 425watts rms

The results: 135.6 db

im proud.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
since nobodies replying..heres something for comparison

0 dB = The softest sound you can hear
10dB = Breather
30dB = Whispering, quiet library, ticking watch
60dB = Normal conversation
70dB = Idling car engine
80dB = Lawn mower, shop tools, blender etc
100dB = Train, pneumatic drill, snowmobile
110dB = Chain Saw, wood working shop
115dB = sand blasting, car horn, loud music concert
140dB = Jet engine, gun shot blast

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Thats not bad at all. Once again, I will recommend an Epic Center. It will increase your bass output significantly. They are getting pretty cheap now aswell.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by sfblacksel@Mar 20 2004, 06:37 PM
Thats not bad at all. Once again, I will recommend an Epic Center. It will increase your bass output significantly. They are getting pretty cheap now aswell.
whats an epic center> sorry for my ignorance

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
135 is decent for a pair of 10's with ~425 watts.

next time you db drag try moving the box closer to the rear of the trunk.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Twilight@Mar 20 2004, 07:01 PM
135 is decent for a pair of 10's with ~425 watts.

next time you db drag try moving the box closer to the rear of the trunk.
Yup thats what the guy told me.... lol but i didnt just to be fair with myself

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by sfblacksel@Mar 20 2004, 06:37 PM
Thats not bad at all.  Once again, I will recommend an Epic Center.  It will increase your bass output significantly.  They are getting pretty cheap now aswell.
It's Epicenter.
Audio Control makes it. It recieves bass signals and then sends out a pitch-matched signal which is much cleaner and stronger than the original signal. It's like a supercharged bass boost.

Look

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon+Mar 20 2004, 09:59 PM-->QUOTE (SixFoFalcon @ Mar 20 2004, 09:59 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-sfblacksel
@Mar 20 2004, 06:37 PM
Thats not bad at all.  Once again, I will recommend an Epic Center.  It will increase your bass output significantly.  They are getting pretty cheap now aswell.
It's Epicenter.
Audio Control makes it. It recieves bass signals and then sends out a pitch-matched signal which is much cleaner and stronger than the original signal. It's like a supercharged bass boost.

Look [/b]
cool i dont wanna blow my subs though lol

and plus my amp isnt turned up all the way.. as in, it's below what the gain could be set at.. i can crank it up a bit more before the subs distort.... soo lol

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
If you really wanna go mad SPL...

Get a cheap radio shack db meter and burn a CD of test tones from 30 to 80 Hz. Play them and record which tone is the loudest. This is going to be nearest to your car's resonant frequency. Then build a dual chambered ported box for the subs tuned to deliver its peak volume at this frequency. This will ensure that you are hitting the loudest SPL when your car incubates the sound the best.

Put that box right at the back of your trunk.

Then, turn the gain on the amp up. Use a multimeter and turn it up to where the amp starts clipping, and leave it so the amp is clipping slightly. (Don't say I said this is good for your amp LOL).

That should be good for another 3-4 db's. At which point you will be going out and buying 4 12's and two 3000W RMS amps. And then your name is hoss.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
Or Zeptoplix, Twilight!

AFI that is pretty good for two 10s. really makes me wish i would have gotten my car tested wtih my 15's!!! I was running 5-6 times as much power as you so theoretically i could have put out about 143db., but any whothats just speculation now since i don't have anything in my car. Good job!

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
another thing i forgot to mention is i had the volume at 40 out of 62... and i have it configured so i can turn it up to 62 w/out distorting...
wtf was i think ing i should do another run hahaha

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
You want the amp's gain set so that you get to the maximum level possible without distortion, if you got that then turn it to the max! (though you will need new speakers soon if you do it often lol)

Also check your deck's manual and make sure you have the subs jacked up as high as possible. I think the Pioneer 5500 has a sub volume control up to +/- 4 dB.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Twilight@Mar 21 2004, 07:56 PM
You want the amp's gain set so that you get to the maximum level possible without distortion, if you got that then turn it to the max! (though you will need new speakers soon if you do it often lol)

Also check your deck's manual and make sure you have the subs jacked up as high as possible. I think the Pioneer 5500 has a sub volume control up to +/- 4 dB.
i was VERY VERY VERY conservative in the settings because i want these subs to last a long time lol i should just turn it up for a competition
thats my plan

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
What's the subs Pmax, Vas, and Xmax?

Or give me a model # and I could look that up.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Twilight@Mar 22 2004, 02:46 PM
What's the subs Pmax, Vas, and Xmax?

Or give me a model # and I could look that up.
They are the eclipse SW6103DVC

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by ct97glvulcan@Mar 22 2004, 03:14 PM
not to shabby for two 10" subs, you should get the db drag with your subs all the way to the back too.
Yeah, i should try that...

and also

heres my stereos settings when i did this

volume: 40/62
bass boast: off

amp settings:

gain wasnt fully up until point of distortion

Soo i think i can get a lil bit more from my system if i do those minor things

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by ct97glvulcan@Mar 22 2004, 03:16 PM
yup and run it was a tone cd...more aqurate (sp) reading
know wher ei can find a tone cd.. (frequency tuning cd) at??? wanna burn me one

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Qts: 0.83
Vas: 1.14 cuft
Xmax:
(one way) 0.78"

Ya...leave it in that box and never try porting it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts