Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I killed my bull yesterday
. I slid on gravel and took out a fire hydrant, totaling it. take a look...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by dura24v@Jan 13 2004, 08:24 PM
I killed my bull yesterday
. I slid on gravel and took out a fire hydrant, totaling it. take a look...
Unless you just had liability, that's not totalled. Sorry to hear that you ate the hydrant though. At least you walked away in one piece.

·
Banned
509 Posts
You know, that is pretty gay.. All I can see is some damage to the rear of the car.. nothing too serious, unless you broke the axel.. I say.. Buy it back from the insurance co for like $200, then salvage a bunch of stuff out of it.. OR Just drive it the way it is

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have to drive it the way it is. Im gonna buy a SHO bumper for it cause i plan to get the exhaust done anyways. I bought a new light today. the only problem is the damage to the unibody. its pretty massive.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the body is destroyed on both sides, i guess cause of the pressure. the only way to fix it is to cut the welds and replace it with part of a body from another car. the car has 112000 miles on it. it still runs but there might be exhaust damage, the trunk is slightly misaligned. its still a good car, but enough damage to total it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by FatTortoise@Jan 13 2004, 07:47 PM
You know, that is pretty gay.. All I can see is some damage to the rear of the car.. nothing too serious, unless you broke the axel..
the axel luckily wasnt damaged.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by FatTortoise@Jan 13 2004, 07:47 PM
You know, that is pretty gay.. All I can see is some damage to the rear of the car.. nothing too serious, unless you broke the axel.. I say.. Buy it back from the insurance co for like $200, then salvage a bunch of stuff out of it.. OR Just drive it the way it is
another problem is im not listed as a driver on the insurance. now that im listed, and with 4 points for careless driving to my name, i have to get a second job.

btw im a 17 year old working at a supermarket, so its a little hard to pay for.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car. My girlfriend works for Travelers Insurance (Premier Auto Insurance) and from the looks of the damage and what you mentioned, thats definitely totaled. The way Auto Insurance works is first they would get the Actual Cash value of the vehicle before the accident, then they would appraise the damage and get a total cost for repair. Which ever amount is the least is what results in the final decision, either Repair of the vehicle or Replacement.

If the vehicle is is valued less than the cost of repair, then it is considered totaled.

It may not look like much damage to you, but all those parts and labor add up quickly resulting in a REPAIR BILL of a few thousand, which is more than what the car is worth.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
So If the Insurance company says its totalled DOES that mean they will tak eit away against my will?

FatTortoise: what does that mean, buy it back from the the insurance for $200?

I have full coverage on my 96GL with gieco, but i dont understand these working of auto insurance? can someone explain

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by sundarpn@Jan 13 2004, 10:57 PM
So If the Insurance company says its totalled DOES that mean they will tak eit away against my will?

FatTortoise: what does that mean, buy it back from the the insurance for $200?

I have full coverage on my 96GL with gieco, but i dont understand these working of auto insurance? can someone explain
Basically, when the insurance company totals your car, they pay off the lien, and the rest of the money (if any) goes to you. If there is no lien, the money goes directly to you. Many times, an insurance company will let you buy your car back from them, most times very cheaply. You can then do what you want with it, repair it, pull parts off it etc.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
One thing I can add is if your insurance company looks at what the car is worth to sell to someonelse, so it could be more than the 200 dollar figure thrown around. But it never hurts to try so if you want to keep your car go for it! BTW if you plan on fixing it, and driving it, insurance can be a little hard to get on totaled cars. Find out what the laws are in your state regarding salvage titles.

X

·
0 Posts
Yeah, if the insurance totals it, the car gets a totalled title. If the car gets repaired, to drive it normally again, it has to be throughly inspected then it gets a salvaged title. Once the car gets the salvaged title, it's worth about half of what a non-salvaged title car would be.

When my 95se was totalled, they offered to let my dad buy it back for $700. Being only 18 and not knowing any better at the time, I called the insurance company a month later wanting to buy it back (without my parents or anyone's knowledge), but it had been auctioned off to some guy in Mexico. Thinking about that now, that was probably for the better :sigh:

Good luck with your car Dura24v.

·
Banned
509 Posts
Originally posted by XLSuruaT@Jan 13 2004, 11:20 PM
if the insurance totals it, the car gets a totalled title. If the car gets repaired, to drive it normally again, it has to be throughly inspected then it gets a salvaged title. Once the car gets the salvaged title, it's worth about half of what a non-salvaged title car would be.
I learn something every day

X

·
0 Posts
opps, I had something mixed up. Junk title, total loss, and salvage title are the same. Its the Rebuilt/Reconstructed Title when you fix it.

dura24v, how are you going to legally drive it if it has a totaled title? I'm not very familiar with all the automotive laws, but I'm guessing there might be some difficulty to get that car back on the road.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought mine back for $20 replaced the bumper and taillight drove it another 2k til I got my new car. God I love statefarm. I walked away with like $1500

1 - 20 of 38 Posts