Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive notice that my resevoir take is always getting lower. I filled it up one time because i saw it low (first time i had to do it) and it was because the cap wasnt on tight. I discovered that when coolant started coming out pretty hard one time at a parking lot so i popped the hood and there was coolant all over the resvoir tank and it was low, so i put some in. I notices couple days ago (this is like a month to month and half later) there was none in the tank anymore :blink: . so i filled it up again and now, like a week later, its lower already. Like its dropped an inch or so. And no, i dont see any leaking anywhere and i dont leave pools of any fluid where i park. Though i notice that cap, when tightened to much, pops and is loose again. Is that cap not sealing right and the coolant is bubbling out down the road but when i stop, it cools off enough where it isnt bubbling and thats why i dont get a pool of it on the ground? Or mayhap anyone else knows where its going.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Check the tank CLOSELY and make sure there are no cracks in it. If that is ok, check the plastic sides of the radiator and make sure there are no leaks there. Then check all the hoses and make sure they aren't leaking. Next make sure that your window doesn't fog up when you turn the heat on, if so then your heater core is leaking (mine did that too!). If all of those are OK, then you most likely have a blown head gasket like I did. It suxors, but I changed my own in 2 days!

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Also check the transmission level. The cooler could be leaking allowing the coolant to go into the tranny. A V8SHO owner lost his motor to this coming back from California.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
check the plastic sides of the radiator and make sure there are no leaks there.
this is quite common you may not see fluid but check the plastic tanks for major discoloration, probably white

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I found a place that would ship a new radiator to me for $135.00 radiatorstores.com

This is for a GEN 3 radiator. All models use the same radiator.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I'll check on those things and let ya know later.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Do a pressure test to check for leakage, check for possible residue on spark plugs, if all appears O.K. do a thorough cooling system flush, when you refill add some
diesel additive & even some "water wetter" to mixture. Nearly all Fords use a small amount of coolant over time... not as quickly as you're talking about though.
Also, check in blower motor housing for signs of heater core seepage. May be a good idea to replace T-Stat too.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
hummm new info go underneat the car and go check thee weep hole on the water pump for trace of coolant

it happened to me one my car was drinking a couple of shooter of prestone

and i could never find it where

and nothing on the ground

and on the water pump it was there a bit of coolant so i wiped it off

gone to the store and back checked again and it was there my leak was the main beering on the pump was used just a bit so coolant was coming out from the weep hole

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Hey G3 and G4 ppls. I just got the overflow tank replaced on my car. The plastic had cracked and my coolant spilled out all over the driveway.

The kicker about the whole deal was, the guy at the ford dealer knew exactly what was wrong with my car b4 i was done even describing my predicament, and he says that there are lots of g3's and g4's that come through with the same problem. It boggles my mind how the overflow tank could go bad after only 4 years of light use. My 86 suburban had the Original on it after 17 years.

Just a warning to you g3&4 ppls, check out the overfill tanks for cracks or brittle areas.

Sorry for the thread hijack. I didnt want to start a new one on a pretty similar topic. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Originally posted by Taurussetypes@Sep 27 2004, 08:23 PM
Hey G3 and G4 ppls. I just got the overflow tank replaced on my car. The plastic had cracked and my coolant spilled out all over the driveway.

The kicker about the whole deal was, the guy at the ford dealer knew exactly what was wrong with my car b4 i was done even describing my predicament, and he says that there are lots of g3's and g4's that come through with the same problem. It boggles my mind how the overflow tank could go bad after only 4 years of light use. My 86 suburban had the Original on it after 17 years.

Just a warning to you g3&4 ppls, check out the overfill tanks for cracks or brittle areas.

Sorry for the thread hijack. I didnt want to start a new one on a pretty similar topic. :)
Part of the reason is your Taurus uses a pressurized overflow resevoir and it is part of a closed radiator system and your 'burban only uses it to collect the expanded coolant if there is no room in the rad. The Taurus bottle gets hot coolant in it everytime you run the car to operating temp then cools down again so it makes the plastic go bad. They really should change the plastic.

96_sab_gs it is probably your coolant bottle. Mine cracked right on the very bottom in my 99 and it is possible that the crack is small and only leaks if the pressure gets really high.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm kinda glad someone posted again in this thread. While looking over my situation with the tranny cooler (how to get it in, where to get the tubing, etc.) i stopped for a sec and looked around my engine bay. What i observed is quite a few almost green looking splatters everywhere, on the pipes all around and subframes, and the most splitter splatter being on the overtank. So it must be that, and oddly its peeing all over my engine bay a little. I thought id seen em on ebay so suppose ill get one at some point soon. Thanks again for everyone's help.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
yeah, everytime i go to the salvage yard the resevoirs are usually gone, or theres someone asking me if i have seen one because theres is leaking...142k...maybe its time to pick up a spare one..i leak spontanious now and then....and then again my water pump has been giggling at me latley

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
when i had my front end repaired i got the car back and for some reason the cap that goes ont he coolant tank no longer had a seal, so when i drove to my first place with my new front end coolant went all over, i tightened the cap all the way, and when i got back somehow the cap shot off with lots of coolant following it, i called them up and they gave me a new one, thats my story

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My cap did the same thing. I dunno if it is still but i think it might be. Theres plenty enough coolant stain around it. I first found it out when i stopped a parking lot and saw coolant pretty heftly coming out. i opened the hood (wasnt pooring anymore cuz lots in the tank was lost) and heard air wizzing out the collant cap, so i tightened it and seems to not be going it again. But like i said, there seems to be more coolant stain around that cap.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Originally posted by tmonster@Sep 27 2004, 10:34 PM
yeah, everytime i go to the salvage yard the resevoirs are usually gone, or theres someone asking me if i have seen one because theres is leaking...142k...maybe its time to pick up a spare one..i leak spontanious now and then....and then again my water pump has been giggling at me latley
You will likely never find on at a wrecking yard. They know they all fail and pull them right away from someone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts