Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is 1996 Taurus GL 3.0 2v it has 108,000 miles on it. I have been having problems with my car interior lights staying on when the doors are closed and I'm driving. It also happens when the car is parked So I took the fuse out which was called the battery saver. And the interior lights went out. This has been happening for about 3 months. So then I left my radio on while I was getting some gas and I tried to start it but it wouldn't start on the first try but on the third it would start. My battery light was not on and my battery is not that old maybe like 2 years old. So I took my car to auto zone so they could test the battery. I took it out and took in there and they said it was okay. I put it back in my car but I accidentally installed it backwards and noticed it right away. So I hooked it back up the right way. All of a sudden my battery light is on but the car would start and run fine. So yesterday I went to the library to pick up some tax forums and when I came back out the car would not even start. As if the battery was dead, when I would turn the key all I hear is one click. So AAA comes and gives me a jump and tests my battery and he said it was good but something was draining it. The car is running and then starts to idle like crap and I asked him if he could also run a test on my alternator as well. I figured that might be the problem, so he does that and he told me that my alternator was bad. He told me that I wasn't going to make it far with it acting like that. To save me some time he left the battery charger on and I strapped down the hood to get it home and it ran fine. As soon As I put it in the garage and I turned the car off and tried to start it back up it wouldn't. So last night I go and get a alternator and put in on last night. The car still would not start and I got a jump today about three time but once I disconnected the jumping cables it started to run like crap and stalled.

I'm thinking about changing the battery saver relay and the mega fuse to see it that works what do you guys think?

Edit: Does anyone know where I can buy the 175amp mega fuse relay and how much it cost? I don't see them on Auto zone or Murray's websites.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Why not consider running this puppy by your favorite autoparts store for a no cost, in vehicle electrical system check up, via their portable electrical system tester.

Properly used it'll load test ALL the system components in place, in the vehicle as they are used & can likely spot any alternator problems like weak, leaky, or shorted alternator diodes, or battery cells & can check for poor condition battery cables or connections & excessive parasitic battery drain.

Let us know what they find.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The interior lights staying on with the doors closed on Gen III's is a very common problem. You need to get some WD-40 and spray them into the door switches.

1- Put the fuse back in.
2- Start with driver's side door. Spray a reasonable amount of WD-40 into the door switch.
3- Close the door and see if the lights go out.
4- Continue 2 and 3 until the interior lights work properly again
5- If you use all 4 doors on a regular basis, spray those door switches too.

Your battery may be weak from the many weeks of running the lights.

1- Are you terminals clean and conducting well?
2- If you have access to a good battery charger I would go for that.
3- Some auto parts stores will charge your battery for 5 or 6 hours if you show up in the morning AND they have a charger.
4- If not, sounds like you need a new battery.

As far as finding parts, I almost always go to NAPA.

napaonline.com

Hope this helps,
92SHO97SHO

1 - 3 of 3 Posts