Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mmmkay,

Earlier this week I posted about how my car ran on the warm side so I pulled over, let the car cool down, and added coolant to the reservoir. The car has been running normal ever since and I am going to change the oil this weekend just in case the oil broke down due to the heat.

Yesterday, my boss told me that her car is in the shop because last week her car ran hot 3 times. I asked her if she checked the coolant before she brought the car to the shop. She said no. Today, she came to work in a rental. I asked her if she heard anything about her car. She said that she was lucky to have brought the car to the shop because she got it there in time just before she cracked the head. She said that the head gasket needs to be replaced and that she expect the bill to be about $1,000.

Let her tell it - she is fortunate to have one a thousand dollar bill as opposed to the thousands it would cost if she had cracked the head.

Hello?!?! What about pulling over and checking the coolant as I did BEFORE your car runs hot 3 times in one week?

Last I figured, coolant is cheaper than a head, and much easier than changing a head gasket.

If she cannot manage simple decisions like this, how can she be expected to manage an entire section in an office? This is simply poor decision making.

(I am not saying that her problem was necessarily the same problem I had, but I am saying that a lot of damage could have been avoided by taking precautionary steps such as at least checking the coolant.)

--- disgruntled peon

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
QUOTE (97 Blue Taurus Vulcan @ Jul 17 2009, 12:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740118
If she cannot manage simple decisions like this, how can she be expected to manage an entire section in an office? This is simply poor decision making.[/b]
Off topic, Fifth Gear UK just did a short section on this basically saying the same thing: check your coolant and oil as it costs more to fix than to maintain.

On topic, whereas I understand your frustration, your rationale for calling out her inabilities for management has faulty backings. You must remember that not everyone knows how cars work nor what they should do to maintain it. So where to you or me checking coolant is a very easy and simple decision/chore, she would have never thought of it.

However, her job requires here to manage an entire section of the office and I would assume is halfway-decent at doing that job. For someone with less inexperience like myself, what she would consider simple decisions would be more difficult for me. Likewise, working in a cancer research lab or with micro/macro organisms might have simple safety or operation decisions in my opinion, but she'd probably would not know how to do anything.

The point being: no one knows everything about everything. We each have our strong suits. But to judge a person's ability based on their weak areas has no grounding.

I know you're just ranting; hopefully this is insight that you already know :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (soccernamlak @ Jul 17 2009, 06:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740144
QUOTE (97 Blue Taurus Vulcan @ Jul 17 2009, 12:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740118
If she cannot manage simple decisions like this, how can she be expected to manage an entire section in an office? This is simply poor decision making.[/b]

The point being: no one knows everything about everything. We each have our strong suits. But to judge a person's ability based on their weak areas has no grounding.

I know you're just ranting; hopefully this is insight that you already know :)
[/b][/quote]

Please understand that my boss is a micromanager who comes in our office and tells us life lessons and claims to know all about car maintenance and every other aspect about every other damn thing in life. For instance, she said matter of factly that no batteries require water anymore and there is nothing to do as far as maintenance on any battery ever again.

So, apparently, every car battery that exists now is sealed per HER. We are also not to question her as apparently she is all knowing. So, that being established, I have used this example about her car as an example of how she oversteps her boundaries in every other aspect and how her instructions are DICTATES that are always to be followed.

She believes that since she is a supervisor, it is her job to manage every other part of our lives, and that she has properly handled her car situation and has informed others that this is the best way to handle the situation.

She is certain that she feels since the is a manager that her word has more authority than mine and has disregarded my theory openly in front of others that she should had initially checked her coolant.

Therefore, her word is GOD and per her, this is the proper way to handle the situation, and don't question it.

-- disgruntled peon with a micromanager supervisor who has the final say in everything but really knows nothing

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I wouldn't bother.

People who possess both the stubborn and stupid quality are usually a waste of time to even talk to, I know plenty of 'em.

It's the same idiots that throw out likes like "American cars suck". You can explain to them all you want with facts about Ford, Toyota, GM, Honda, Mazda, etc....whatever. They have the idea in their head because they "were told" or they "heard about" or you know "they" say....nobody actually does research or really cares about factual data, therefore it'd be a fruitless attempt.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
This may be a members only forum on a taurus club website...but I don't think its a good habit to write bad things about your boss online. But I do understand the feeling.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (Call_Me_Crazy @ Jul 17 2009, 04:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740222
I hope your not posting from your work computer![/b]

QUOTE (brightbus @ Jul 17 2009, 07:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740257
This may be a members only forum on a taurus club website...but I don't think its a good habit to write bad things about your boss online. But I do understand the feeling.[/b]
I just had to vent. Her micromanagement is getting worse instead of better. She actually followed me around the office yesterday. When I went to the bathroom to hide out from her, she waited at the door until I came out. I'm staying at this agency because they are working with me while I go to school. I had originally planned on working there until I got my degree. I don't know if I am going to make it that long, though. This is getting ridiculous.

I mean, it's so bad that my coworker quit... I am now doing her work and mine in half the time (I am in school half the day.) So, I am doing both our work in a 4 hour work day, so she has no reason to harass me. I think I am going to start looking for a new job.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Just step around her and talk to her boss and tell her whats going on that you cant even concentrate and she basically harasses you all day every day about everything. Her getting yelled at by her boss would probally make her never talk to you again, making you a happy worker.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (animex2 @ Jul 18 2009, 05:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740452
Just step around her and talk to her boss and tell her whats going on that you cant even concentrate and she basically harasses you all day every day about everything. Her getting yelled at by her boss would probally make her never talk to you again, making you a happy worker.[/b]

That would be an excellent idea if my boss's boss wasn't her buddy. My boss used to be a receptionist until her boss hired her. I guess this is what happens when you make a receptionist a supervisor.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
:werd: read: Office Space

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The agency director swung by my office today when the electricity was out. (Lights went out for just over an hour and I guess the director had nothing better to do.) She asked me how things were going and I put a little bug in her ear. The director sent out a mass email to the entire agency about following procedures and such. For now, I am satisfied. Thanks for hearing my rant.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up having to file a grievance against her and they moved me from her section. While every aspect of my grievance was denied (in writing), I no longer have to put up with her micromanaging me and treating me like a two year old.

It seems that the agency doesn't like formal complaints in writing, and prefers that everything be swept under the carpet. So, even though they denied all my allegations in the grievance and my allegations that she was harassing me, they moved me out of her section.

Good riddens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts