161 - 180 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
and people say i dont talk good and im hard to follow 8-P

·
Registered
200 Posts

Is this the correct flywheel? It's ment for a 92~95' Tempo.

I decided to let my machine shop drill the holes since they are working on my crank and will ultimately balance the whole assembly... They are giving me a hard time and I need to make sure my **** is straight before I waltz in there n make a fool out myself :D Should of done it myself… :(

Thanks B)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know I am chiming in WAY to late on this tread, but I have been thinking about this for a long time, and I think everyone is making this way harder then it has to be, except wiring, there are to many ways to do it better then my thinking.

You have to use the tempo flywheel because the vulcan uses a 6 bolt crank compared to the SHO 7 bolt (if I remember correctly)
and I think the only reason he had to have the flywheel worked on is because it was from a ranger (tempo guys are having problems with this issue too). Also, the tempo clutch is the same size as the 89-90 SHO (9.25")

pretty much if you use a bunch of SHO parts, you could do it pretty easy...If you have them lying around (which I do)

Only things I would change is 2 things. If I can do this swap, I would use the tempo tranny mounts (one on each side of tranny) compared to the SHO mount setup), Also I would use the Tempo MTX-IV compared to the SHO MTX-IV because the gear ratios are better for the vulcan.

If I can find a donor vehicle for cheap (cause I am cheap) I would do this swap in a heart beat, My tempo v6 5 speed is falling apart and I want a taurus more.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
I know I am chiming in WAY to late on this tread, but I have been thinking about this for a long time, and I think everyone is making this way harder then it has to be, except wiring, there are to many ways to do it better then my thinking.

You have to use the tempo flywheel because the vulcan uses a 6 bolt crank compared to the SHO 7 bolt (if I remember correctly)
and I think the only reason he had to have the flywheel worked on is because it was from a ranger (tempo guys are having problems with this issue too). Also, the tempo clutch is the same size as the 89-90 SHO (9.25")

pretty much if you use a bunch of SHO parts, you could do it pretty easy...If you have them lying around (which I do)

Only things I would change is 2 things. If I can do this swap, I would use the tempo tranny mounts (one on each side of tranny) compared to the SHO mount setup), Also I would use the Tempo MTX-IV compared to the SHO MTX-IV because the gear ratios are better for the vulcan.

If I can find a donor vehicle for cheap (cause I am cheap) I would do this swap in a heart beat, My tempo v6 5 speed is falling apart and I want a taurus more.
Also watch for an old, Vulcan powered Probe. I did my swap using that. Got all the components, tranny, driveshafts, pedal assembly, shift mechanisms, etc. Had to do custom mounts. Went with heavy duty polyurethane. My biggest issue was getting the speedo to work properly. The manual read the speed from the diff. Installed a HEALTECH speedo healer and tweaked it till it was accurate. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also watch for an old, Vulcan powered Probe. I did my swap using that. Got all the components, tranny, driveshafts, pedal assembly, shift mechanisms, etc. Had to do custom mounts. Went with heavy duty polyurethane. My biggest issue was getting the speedo to work properly. The manual read the speed from the diff. Installed a HEALTECH speedo healer and tweaked it till it was accurate. :)
now when you used the probe tranny, were you able to use the stock axles on both sides? I feel out of all 3 tranny's that is the strongest one (I know the vulcan probe tranny is base on the turbo tranny). Last time I knew, you could still get parts for the mazda tranny.

Also, what did you do about the clutch setup? did you convert the tranny to cable or did you use the hydraulic clutch setup? and pedals.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
now when you used the probe tranny, were you able to use the stock axles on both sides? I feel out of all 3 tranny's that is the strongest one (I know the vulcan probe tranny is base on the turbo tranny). Last time I knew, you could still get parts for the mazda tranny.

Also, what did you do about the clutch setup? did you convert the tranny to cable or did you use the hydraulic clutch setup? and pedals.
Well I actually had custom driveshafts made. I wanted equal lengths to reduce torque steer. -- The turbo Probe uses a different tranny, it is a 2.2L engine. Doesn't match the Vulcan bell housing. -- As far as the clutch, mine is hydraulic. Upgraded the clutch to a BULLY stage 1. It seriously grabs and goes. What I really like about the shift mechanism is that it's a rod shifter, not cable. Cables do kink and stretch over time, but a 3/8 steel rod will stay true forever.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well I actually had custom driveshafts made. I wanted equal lengths to reduce torque steer. -- The turbo Probe uses a different tranny, it is a 2.2L engine. Doesn't match the Vulcan bell housing. -- As far as the clutch, mine is hydraulic. Upgraded the clutch to a BULLY stage 1. It seriously grabs and goes. What I really like about the shift mechanism is that it's a rod shifter, not cable. Cables do kink and stretch over time, but a 3/8 steel rod will stay true forever.
thats what I thought you would have to do. if my thinking is correct, you could be able to use the stock sho axles if you made a bracket to hold the intermediate shaft from the sho onto the vulcan motor (only reason I want to use the sho tranny, since everything will bolt up without to many issues.) Also with my thinking, if you have a SHO sub frame sitting around (I do), you can use that one (on 95-older cars) instead of having to put the tranny mount onto the new sub frame, then just redo the motor mounts to where you need them.

and the probe tranny, I am talking internals. I know the bell housings a different (talking about a ford engine and a mazda engine) but on one of the mx-6 forums I was on if something happened to their turbo trannys, they would just steal parts from the vulcan tranny because it was the same on the inside (since stock for stock, Torque numbers were about the same at around 180)

I really do plan on doing this swap, I just need to find the right car to do it to, and figure out the best way without having to have to many custom parts made.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
thats what I thought you would have to do. if my thinking is correct, you could be able to use the stock sho axles if you made a bracket to hold the intermediate shaft from the sho onto the vulcan motor (only reason I want to use the sho tranny, since everything will bolt up without to many issues.) Also with my thinking, if you have a SHO sub frame sitting around (I do), you can use that one (on 95-older cars) instead of having to put the tranny mount onto the new sub frame, then just redo the motor mounts to where you need them.

and the probe tranny, I am talking internals. I know the bell housings a different (talking about a ford engine and a mazda engine) but on one of the mx-6 forums I was on if something happened to their turbo trannys, they would just steal parts from the vulcan tranny because it was the same on the inside (since stock for stock, Torque numbers were about the same at around 180)

I really do plan on doing this swap, I just need to find the right car to do it to, and figure out the best way without having to have to many custom parts made.
I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Good luck and post lots of pics when you get to doing it. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
If I had the money for this, I would seriously consider doing this swap on my '91 3.8 Sable. I eventually want it to get a 3.2, but the powertrain has no problems making the needless extra cost hard to stomach. The 3.8 would be totally kick-butt with a stick, though. I think I even know where I could access a parts car!

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
If I had the money for this, I would seriously consider doing this swap on my '91 3.8 Sable. I eventually want it to get a 3.2, but the powertrain has no problems making the needless extra cost hard to stomach. The 3.8 would be totally kick-butt with a stick, though. I think I even know where I could access a parts car!
Maybe make it a long term project. Gather everything you need over time, then put a little money aside when you can for the actual install. I will say that even without making real power yet, the manual tranny does make it a lot more fun to drive. :)

·
Premium Member
115 Posts

Does it have to be a Vulcan powered Probe? Will a tech powered one work? One just showed up down here at a great price and I just might jump on it if it works.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
You want the bell housings to match up. The Vulcan and Tec have different bell housings. You can get a machine shop to make an adapter plate to mate different housings, but that opens up too many risks. It's much easier and safer to mate 2 matching parts.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
All respect to you brave souls doing auto-to-manual conversions, you are far braver than I.

Hopefully there is some serious work going into the motor before doing this swap, otherwise it will end up pretty much like a Taurus MT-5.

Quoted from Edmunds.com's Ford Taurus History:

"Along with the introduction of the high-performance SHO, 1989 also saw the extinction of the low-performance (a manual transmission alone does not a sporty car make) MT-5."

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Actually it's best before doing major engine mods, to make sure the tranny can hold up. The AX4N is not known for handling much more than the factory put out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Actually it's best before doing major engine mods, to make sure the tranny can hold up. The AX4N is not known for handling much more than the factory put out.
IIRC, one of the fastest tauruses (taurii?) is an ATX Gen II SHO. 12.8x? Soemthing like that? Help me out here, loudsho92.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
IIRC, one of the fastest tauruses (taurii?) is an ATX Gen II SHO. 12.8x? Soemthing like that? Help me out here, loudsho92.
Perhaps, but how long did the tranny last? I have read numerous comments over time on here about how the AX4N is not the toughest transmission out there.

161 - 180 of 194 Posts
About this Discussion
193 Replies
66 Participants
ranger8901
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing