Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

141 - 160 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
i am in the lower mainland of western canada. abbotsford,40 miles east of vancouver. the other thing was the crankshaft centerline to axle centerline difference between the mtx and atx. the old auto(86-91 3 speed) was the same as the mtx, but the overdrive 4 speed auto has an extra 2 inches (approx) difference from crank center to axle centerline, so then i wasnt sure if the motor would have to be setback in the subframe to maintain engine geometery. the 3.0 and 3.2 sho have to be mounted differently in gen 2 sho's ,that's why the coolant overflow,battery tray and abs module are placed differently,also the mtx results in the motor being set back approx 2 inches resulting in a slightly better handling due to the center of mass closer to the middle of the car. i was ready to modify my right side (engine) subframe mounting holes to allow the vulcan to sit back on the sho mtx subframe but then found that one of the (rear) exhaust downpipes looked like it would then rub the right side cv axle (93 style exhaust) was very close to (mtx) trans output (follow me here) the trans sits 2 inches (approx) closer to the exhaust pipe/back of vulcan block.so.... after thinking about tempo v6 pcm cost, tempo flywheel-clutch cost, fabricating link shaft to vulcan bracket, modify or maybe purchase a mount setup(if it exists) and then i discovered that a butcher who replaced the heater core had let the pcm harness rub on the a/c receiver-drier and had ruined several wires,well. it was easier to "vulcanize" my sho. i started out by reading up on 3.0 to 3.2 sho conversion on the shoclub pages and even saw a sho powered tempo (narrower wheelbase- single piece axles work) but those guys don't have a lot of vulcan info,they just convert atx to mtx etc. that's where i read one guy (only one! smart cookie!) said that there was a crank/axle difference, and sure enough he was right! that was the major stumbling block for my project, but...i'm sure it IS possible,perhaps a custom exhaust job, vulcan has had several different rear manifold designs. anything that helps put wieght toward the center of the car would improve handling,after all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
CeeGees in Richmond, and Wasneys in Burnaby,sometimes Ralphs and A-Part in Richmond have them, at least one of them do combined at any given time, if you're looking for an ATX car with a bad trans chain I my friend has one for like 1500 in abby:p. Do you know gary with a yellow ranger if you still work at a ford dealer? :D . On my 3.8mtx the exhaust was hitting the rack and had to make custom down pipes due to the setback. There is no off the shelf flywheel available for the MTX 3.8 as far as I know also :(

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I'm wondering how this could be done on my car.

And I'm serious. After I finish school and get some of my loans paid off, I want to make my car the ultimate sleeper! And I want to start with putting a 5 speed MTX in it. I don't know how difficult this would be on a G3 Vulcan, but I really want to do it. I want to start with this, as well as swapping the crap brakes for SHO brakes, then, I'll figure out what I'm gonna do as far as gaining speed. I know I won't gain much speed with a Vulcan, but I hope to get it to run 15's in the 1/4 mile.

I know it can be done, I just don't know how much work and money it will take to do it. All I know is, it definitely won't happen until after I'm out of school.

And I don't wanna here: "Just buy a junkyard SHO." That's boring. Anyone can just grab an SHO if they wanted to. I wanna do something that will make people call me crazy or stupid. Because the more they call me crazy, the more it makes me wanna do it!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
You'd have to deal with worse computer issues on a '96+. Swapping the mechanicals should be the same. Although I don't think there is a hole for the clutch and shifter on the 96+.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Get in touch with Brad (Baby SHO). He has a Duratec Gen3 with a manual transmission. All the tuning/electronic issues will be similar between the 'tec and the Vulcan.

Paul Nimz (SHOZ123) could help you out with tuning issues, since you'd have to tell the PCM that it wasn't controlling a transmission anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Paul Nimz (SHOZ123) could help you out with tuning issues, since you'd have to tell the PCM that it wasn't controlling a transmission anymore.
[/b]
That's what I figured the biggest issue would be.

But before I worry about doing this, I gotta first worry about getting my car to survive through school on limited funds.

If worse comes to worse, I could always look for another Gen3 Vulcan Taurus down the road when I'm outta school and have a good job, but it won't feel the same unless I do it with this car. If this car has to die then I'm gonna miss it.

And I have to do it with a gen3, only because of the extra challenge it will bring and because I wanna mess with people who hate Tauruses, especially the bubble body. :ford:

·
Registered
13 Posts
so is there any way to fix the fast idle, and delayed idle down and such without switching to a manual computer? i thought of doing such a thing on the 94 auto sho but I dont want to swap all the wiring if i din't have to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It wasn't very clear to this reader whether the promised auto-to-manual swap ever really came off. What does seem clear is that after a great deal of work and money was invested in the car, the final result was a totally unmarketable (and maybe undriveable) machine.

One would suspect that for much less money and a lot less work he could have gone out and bought a car with a manual transmission.

Let's just consider this to be tuition in the school of life.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
for the fly whell he did say you needed the onbe form a v6 tempo and have to be redrilled and rebalanced since only this on ewill fit with same teeth number

on the trans mount yes just needed to make a hole since it does not line up so you have to rework this a bit

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
It wasn't very clear to this reader whether the promised auto-to-manual swap ever really came off. What does seem clear is that after a great deal of work and money was invested in the car, the final result was a totally unmarketable (and maybe undriveable) machine.

One would suspect that for much less money and a lot less work he could have gone out and bought a car with a manual transmission.

Let's just consider this to be tuition in the school of life.
[/b]
That wasn't the point of the project though. If the point of the project was for the cheapest, most economical way for having a MTX vehicle...then he would have never attempted the project to begin with.

Someone went out on a limb, and did something different that not many others would even consider given the time/effort/$ needed to complete such a monumental task.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
holy hell its been a long while since ive been here. well to answer this assumption up above, i did it because 1. people on here said it couldnt be done because no one has tried it. and 2. because my dad said i didnt have the tools, the knowlage or the know how to do such thing. i went out to prove everyone wrong. and it worked. being cheap though, cost me to loose a tranny. and mostly a car. but i gained knowledge from this. i did this much cheaper than most could. but being cheap, again cost me in the end. true you could get a manual car much cheaper, but it wouldnt run. if it did, it ran like a bucket of ass and ate gas.

oh, and wow. i made a sticky. :D dirty, i know

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is it just me or are the guys that do the most complaining the ones that drive the oldest 3.8 Tauruses . Not picking on anybody's car or anything I have owned a ton of Tauruses over the years and never thought once about buying a 3.8 equipped one . The 3.0 liter Vulcan to me is the best and easiest to work on as long as you change the factory water pump . Just shocked by the people that have no faith in other people doing something different . Its not liked the claimed to put a powerstroke in the dang thing . The put plenty of 5 speeds in the Tempo with a 3.0 Vulcan and Contour with the 2.5 and people put 3.0 Duratec in them why not put one of thoughs in a Taurus ? The Contour and Tempo have 2 piece drive axle with carrier bearing to space it out so it could be done with some crafting . And I still want to see video of their 3.8 running with out antifreeze barfing out everywhere . :rolleyes2:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (bigdaddyii @ Oct 15 2009, 07:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=760312
Is it just me or are the guys that do the most complaining the ones that drive the oldest 3.8 Tauruses . Not picking on anybody's car or anything I have owned a ton of Tauruses over the years and never thought once about buying a 3.8 equipped one . The 3.0 liter Vulcan to me is the best and easiest to work on as long as you change the factory water pump . Just shocked by the people that have no faith in other people doing something different . Its not liked the claimed to put a powerstroke in the dang thing . The put plenty of 5 speeds in the Tempo with a 3.0 Vulcan and Contour with the 2.5 and people put 3.0 Duratec in them why not put one of thoughs in a Taurus ? The Contour and Tempo have 2 piece drive axle with carrier bearing to space it out so it could be done with some crafting . And I still want to see video of their 3.8 running with out antifreeze barfing out everywhere . :rolleyes2:[/b]
So what exactly is your complaint/comment? I don't follow. :huh:

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Oct 15 2009, 09:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=760333
QUOTE (bigdaddyii @ Oct 15 2009, 07:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=760312
Is it just me or are the guys that do the most complaining the ones that drive the oldest 3.8 Tauruses . Not picking on anybody's car or anything I have owned a ton of Tauruses over the years and never thought once about buying a 3.8 equipped one . The 3.0 liter Vulcan to me is the best and easiest to work on as long as you change the factory water pump . Just shocked by the people that have no faith in other people doing something different . Its not liked the claimed to put a powerstroke in the dang thing . The put plenty of 5 speeds in the Tempo with a 3.0 Vulcan and Contour with the 2.5 and people put 3.0 Duratec in them why not put one of thoughs in a Taurus ? The Contour and Tempo have 2 piece drive axle with carrier bearing to space it out so it could be done with some crafting . And I still want to see video of their 3.8 running with out antifreeze barfing out everywhere . :rolleyes2:[/b]
So what exactly is your complaint/comment? I don't follow. :huh:
[/b][/quote]

nick do not look directly into the light, walk away, just walk away.

141 - 160 of 194 Posts
About this Discussion
193 Replies
66 Participants
ranger8901
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing