61 - 80 of 194 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I may be looking at doing a ATX to MTX swap myself

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I wanna see someone give this a shot on a Gen 3 'tec. If it'll work on the Gen 3 it will probably work on the Gen 4... Something to think about later maybe.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I did notice on thing different for me, is that I cannot use a 92-4 computer out of an Tempo/Topaz, as I'm still running the Bankfire instead of the SEFI..... from what I can see in the Chiltons manual, any Vulcan engine that is not mass air, is Bank fire, and any Vulcan that is, is Sequential, so it looks like I'll be looking at a comp for a 88-89 Probe (hoping that they are the same)

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Admin, Mods....

When I do my ATX to MTX swap, am I allowed to start my own thread, or do you want me to add on to this one??????

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by firstgen86l@Apr 29 2004, 12:49 AM
I did notice on thing different for me, is that I cannot use a 92-4 computer out of an Tempo/Topaz, as I'm still running the Bankfire instead of the SEFI..... from what I can see in the Chiltons manual, any Vulcan engine that is not mass air, is Bank fire, and any Vulcan that is, is Sequential, so it looks like I'll be looking at a comp for a 88-89 Probe (hoping that they are the same)
To be honest, you may not even need to replace your computer at all. Your car uses the AXOD transmission, which had no electronic controls, persay. Well, save for the TC lockup solenoid.

Anyhow, the point is that because your transmission wasn't electronically controlled, you don't need to replace the ECU. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Racer X .

my 94 had an AXOD E isn't that the electronic version?

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Racer X, I know right now I'm ok with the Computer that I have, but I would like to convert my car over to SEFI Mass air.......for s**** and giggles and for when I ever decide to mod my motor a bit

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I have a brand new rear motor mount for a 92 Vulcan somewhere. I'll have to do some digging...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
i got my motor mount braket, now i have realized i need a new rear rubber motormount. all this is crazy. but oh well, ive got a 5 speed now :-D so far everything else is going great cept for my computer thing, but that will be taken care of. im expecting better gas milage once i get that in. but now i can selct my fav. gear adn my heavy foot and the vulcans thirst are killer on my no money budget.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Americasfuture, you can plug a 92-4 tempo/topaz computer right into your wirng harness with out any changes in your pins on your computer connection, the computers are a straight cross, so unplug your old one and plug in your new tempo onad you'll be good to go

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
if you are still having problems with it stalling you could probably do a computer "relearn procedure". you'll need to start the car and let it idle for about 2 minutes both with AND without the a/c on, then you'll have to idle it up to about 1800 rpm and do that AGAIN a/c off then on. I know with the auto you now have to do BOTH those steps in DRIVE but since it's now manual, I think you have to take and drive it at about 30mph with and without the a/c. that SHOULD take care of the stalling issue.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Man I want to do this mod on my Gen IV Vulcan!!!!!!!!!!

What cars use the vulcan engine that are front wheel drive and have a manual trans that I could steal?????

61 - 80 of 194 Posts