Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

181 - 194 of 194 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Perhaps, but how long did the tranny last? I have read numerous comments over time on here about how the AX4N is not the toughest transmission out there.
If the AX4N can be used for a Duratec, then it can certainly an upgraded Vulcan without shredding itself.

Although, they don't call it the thAnX4Nothing for kicks either...

·
Registered
26 Posts
IIRC, one of the fastest tauruses (taurii?) is an ATX Gen II SHO. 12.8x? Soemthing like that? Help me out here, loudsho92.
If my memory serves correctly, his first tranny lasted aprox. 6 months and cost over 2000 dollars from FPS in Georgia. So even built it didn't last
I also think he went though at least 3 tranmys before he stopped.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Is it just me or are the guys that do the most complaining the ones that drive the oldest 3.8 Tauruses . Not picking on anybody's car or anything I have owned a ton of Tauruses over the years and never thought once about buying a 3.8 equipped one . The 3.0 liter Vulcan to me is the best and easiest to work on as long as you change the factory water pump . Just shocked by the people that have no faith in other people doing something different . Its not liked the claimed to put a powerstroke in the dang thing . The put plenty of 5 speeds in the Tempo with a 3.0 Vulcan and Contour with the 2.5 and people put 3.0 Duratec in them why not put one of thoughs in a Taurus ? The Contour and Tempo have 2 piece drive axle with carrier bearing to space it out so it could be done with some crafting . And I still want to see video of their 3.8 running with out antifreeze barfing out everywhere . :rolleyes2:
i hope other fellow 3.8 guys are not jerks. i have one and im not and mine does not lose a drip of antifreeze and has not needed any repairs in over 2 years now engine wise lol. ive owned vulcans and had tons of engine problems but i just figure it was a bad car not takin care of before i got it not because of the type of engine it had

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Sorry about digging up an old thread. Just to be certain before I spend money on it, would a 3.0 V6 5speed Topaz be an idea parts car for the conversion?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
That's got the same trans as the g1 sho

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Noooo. Its much weaker remember all the discussion with Jonathan about it smaller weaker internals. P. M. Mad Scientist he has the lowdown on the topaz MTX IV.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Yeah it's weaker but it would work in a Vulcan Taurus

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
So it's good for 220hp?

As 249HP mentioned, the MTX-IV in the SHO and Tempo are almost completely different beasts. Why Ford gave them the same name is beyond me. Almost none of the parts interchange and even the internal machining on the cases is different. The gear ratios are also different, as is the final drive. 5th gear (OD) is the biggest difference between the designs though. The SHO MTX-V uses a different final drive ratio for 5th gear. The .74 5th gear is actually the 1.02 4th gear with a 2.73 final drive instead of a 3.74. When you shift into 5th, you're not shifting out of fourth but merely switching to a taller final drive. This makes 5th gear dramatically stronger in the SHO transmission. 5th gear is the weakest link in the Tempo MTX-IV.

That said, the gear ratios on the Tempo MTX-IV are slightly better suited to the low revving nature of the Vulcan. It will also turn a lower RPM in 5th gear which in this case means better fuel economy. The first four gears aren't that much weaker than the SHO MTX-4 either. It should hold up fine behind a Vulcan in a Taurus. As for if it will handle 220HP, that depends. Torque capacity is what we care about here. HP means nothing to a transmission as it isn't a measurement of power. HP is a measurement of work, meaning how much power you can produce over a given period of time. Given the weight of an '03 wagon, I wouldn't reccomend going beyond 200-210 lb. ft. of torque. For reference, the stock '03 Vulcan puts out 186 lb. ft. Even if you start modding the engine though, you're not going to get over 200 lb. ft. without boost, nitrous or increasing displacement. You'll be fine with the Tempo MTX-IV as long as you don't try to pull a heavy load in 5th gear or launch hard from a dead stop. Basically, no clutch drops. The SHO MTX-IV isn't much better with the latter anyway. The final drive is a weak point in both.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
So that being said, it would be best to (1)buy the parts car and then (2)source a true SHO transaxle?
I see little need for a parts car. Most of the parts you need can be picked up cheaply and easily at a junk yard.

As for getting a SHO MTX-IV, what are your honest goals here? Short of nitrous, getting 220 HP out of a Vulcan is literally a several thousand dollar proposition unless you are ridiculously good at intake/head porting and can do it yourself. Even then you'll need to pay out for a good cam, valve springs, some solid valve work, a bigger MAF and a custom tune to get it to spin the roughly 7k RPM needed to hit those kind of power numbers. If you do hit 220HP, you'll have almost no torque down low unless you spring another couple grand for a stroker kit. Nitrous isn't an easy proposition either. You're going to need head studs and some decent head gaskets to not spit a head gasket every third time you hit the juice. You'll also need a dedicated fuel system for the nitrous. Being a returnless fuel system, dry kits aren't going to work and you can't tap the existing fuel line for the fuel needed for a wet kit.

Unless you're planning to put some serious money into your Vulcan, just use the Tempo MTX-IV. It is more than strong enough for your application and the gear ratios are better suited to the Vulcan, especially in a heavy Gen 4 wagon.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Okay, so I've still got the Taurus wagon. However, I just bought a Hemi powered Dodge Magnum. Needless to say, the Taurus will be receiving $0.00 in performance upgrades and I will be saving up for another Hemi powered vehicle. Perhaps the 2015 Hellcat Charger. I do want to say thank you for all the information that was provided.

181 - 194 of 194 Posts
About this Discussion
193 Replies
66 Participants
ranger8901
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing