Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Feb 10 2004, 11:10 PM
I can personally vouch for Alberto's work and business practices. I sent a spare PCM to him last week, and had it back, reflashed, within three days. I have not yet had time to get to the dyno, however I was very impressed. My PCM worked correctly right out of the box, on the first attempt.

Shifting was very much improved. The shifts are not harsh at all, but have been quickened up. The WOT upshift is further up in the RPM range in all gears, and the car, like Dan Thomas', pulls much harder in all gears. I can definitely feel a difference.

Businesswise, I've emailed Alberto quite a few times with questions on tuning, injector size, supercharging, and pretty much anything under the sun to deal with EEC tuning. I've always gotten an answer within two hours, most times within an hour. Alberto is also extremely knowledgable, I got the correct answers the first time, and a lot of mysteries were solved with Alberto's help. Customer service is second to none!

Within the next few weeks, I hope to get to the dyno, and get some figures, with the stock PCM, Apten chip, and American MotorSport reflashed PCM. It'll be nice to compare figures.

For all the reasons listed above, I feel very comfortable recommending Alberto and American MotorSport. Buy with confidence, guys and gals, American MotorSport is top notch.
I two can now personally vouch for Alberto's work and business practices. I purchased a Microtuner with two programs (87 octane and 92 octane) and the PC software and cable so I can receive program updates from Alberto via email and flash them right away. No waiting for shipping there or back with that feature.

Alberto was extremely patient with me and my hundreds of emails and questions and he answered them promptly.

I can confidently say that all the things Bob mentioned above are true. I received my package Thursday night (3 days after I ordered) and flashed my PCM Friday morning before I left for work. I've only tried the 87 octane program but I’m very impressed. I'm looking forward to trying out the 92 octane program as Alberto tells me the gains I experience will be much greater with the 92 octane program versus those I experienced with the 87 octane program.

I'm definitely going to have to upgrade my breaks now (or watch my lead foot). I found myself having to adjust to the improved acceleration since I kept unintentionally tailgating those in front of me in stop and go traffic since I wasn't used to the improved acceleration yet. I did take the opportunity to test out the new program while passing in traffic on my way to and from work today and before I knew it I was going 110. I've gone 110 (and faster) before but never in this short amount of time. The shifting was greatly improved and man did it ever pull like Bob mentioned above. Hopefully in the next few months I can get to the Dyno place to get some figures.

All-in-all I would gladly recommend American Motorsport for your PCM reprogramming needs. Fell free to reply to this thread or PM me with any questions you might have.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Alberto is a great guy and does great work.

As far as needing new breaks, the much improved engine breaking from the chip shouold be quite noticeable. With mine I don't have to use the brakes as much as I did beofre. The car slows down a lot soon than before. So even though I will have to use a fraction more gas, that's better than useing up my new big brake kit.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by D Man@Jun 5 2004, 07:45 AM
Alberto is a great guy and does great work.

As far as needing new breaks, the much improved engine breaking from the chip shouold be quite noticeable. With mine I don't have to use the brakes as much as I did beofre. The car slows down a lot soon than before. So even though I will have to use a fraction more gas, that's better than useing up my new big brake kit.
Oh, I do notice it. I was thinking more along the lines of new pads and rotors not necessarily bigger ones. My biggest problem is trying to keep it within 10-15 over the speed limit. The only reason i mentioned needing to upgrade the breaks was that when you are going 70 or so in a 35mph zone (don't try this at home kids) between stop lights it takes a bit more effort to stop safely at the next light. But as i mentioned totaly my fault for doing it not the breaks fault at all.

I know i was acting like a kid and his new toy and i just had to try it out to enjoy it :D

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I suggest playing on the highway (given a safe area) with Over Drive off. This will keep you in third gear and you can really see how thrid pulls hard... all the way to about 115 - 120 (somewhere around 6K RPM in third). If you need to go faster, then you can turn on over drive and it will shift into the middle of fourth, which is much further in the power band of fourth. I suspect you could ride that out to 140+ if you had a safe environment to do so.

*Note - Use this information at your own risk. I'm only sharing what I've learned.

:D

-Dan

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
what do you guys mean by keeping overdrive off??? Is there a switch??? or umm :confused:

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by afi292@Jun 11 2004, 11:25 AM
what do you guys mean by keeping overdrive off??? Is there a switch??? or umm :confused:
On my Gen3 there is a O/D button on the floor shifter that allows you to turn it on or off. I'm not sure about other gen's but i know my gen3 has it and that's where it is.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by afi292@Jun 11 2004, 11:25 AM
In gen4's you have 1, D, and then D with an outline around it. Keeping it in plain D will keep the car from shifting into overdrive.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Exactly. Depending on the version of the shiftter, you either have an O/D cancel button w/ shift pattern OD-2-1 or have no OD cancel w/ shift pattern OD-D-1st.

·
Registered
308 Posts
americanmotorsport.com(Alberto) I have been seeing threads here and there about you. All good so far. This may have been asked before, but I will ask myself if you don't mind please. I have a 99 SHO with N2O. I want a chip, or in this case a microtuner that I guess would be a stock setting.(Already runs on premium) An all out second setting on premium, and a all out setting for the N2O. Is there a switch to flip between the settings? What about other engine mods after already have the chip or tuner?

·
Registered
437 Posts
There is a lot to be gained on that year SHO. That car is not tuned for premium from the factory.

Anyway, with a Mictrotuner, you would have to flash each program when you wanted to use it. The other option is a multi-poition chip. A multi-position chip does have a knob you can turn to alternate between programs, on the go.

We can reburn for future mods. Cost of reburn depends on what is changed, but you only need to reburn for mods that would require a chip in the first place. You'd have to send the unit in, unless you purchased the Mictrotuner and the optional Software Bundle, which allows for e-mail support.

·
Registered
308 Posts
That car is not tuned for premium from the factory.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this? It says in the owners manual and on the gas door to use premium.

Let me get this straight on the three settings.

1=I could have a flip chip(switch) that is better tuned for premium that is still considered a stock setting. But runs better and shifts better.

2=All out setting N/A

3=setting for N2O

Besides having the tuner to receive e-mails for updates. Is there any other benefit to it in my case?

Thanks for the info, as I'm sure you need to answer questions all over this board and other boards. What needs to be done is. Any good pertinent questions and your answers. A Mod needs to take only that question and your reply and put it in a locked thread where no one can reply, but look at it for answers that have been already asked. Can this be done Jason?

·
Registered
437 Posts
It may say to use premium, but the calbration on the EEC is not really optimized for premium, I don't know how to best explain it.

Yes, you could have a setting that adds a bunch of power to run on premium, it will also shift better and have more overall pep.

Let me get this straight on the three settings. This is kind of the same as an "all out N/A calibration." You can have another setting for nitrous or up to 4 programs for whatever you want. You have a 5th position that turns off the chip and you have an anti-theft no start setting.

The chip can hold more programs than the tuner,but the tuner allows you to flash the EEC and, with the optional software bundle, you can receive files via e-mail.

Alberto.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The chip sounds like what I would want here sometime. Maybe get the tuner later after that.

Thanx! ;)

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by WillieSHOme@Jun 13 2004, 09:30 PM
The chip sounds like what I would want here sometime. Maybe get the tuner later after that.

Thanx! ;)
-- Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong here Alberto --

As Alberto said you only need one or the other. I decided to go with the Microtuner since i wanted multiple programs from him and also the ability to receive updates to those program via email and download them to my tuner and install them without a chip. The disadvantage to the Microtuner is you can't change programs quickly like it sounds like you can with the multi-position chip.

I don't have any "not always on mods" like your N20 so i can get away w/o having to quickly switch programs like you would need to take advantage of a N20 program. That and I didn't want to have to pull the chip and send it in to have it reprogramed for future mods so i got the microtuner. Also i needed an ODBII reader since my old ODB(I) reader didn't work for this car (the microtuner functions as an ODBII reader also). But if you are just wanting an ODBII reader you can get a unit that does just that much cheaper then buying the microtuner from Alberto after you have already purchased a chip from him.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Originally posted by hightecredneck+Jun 14 2004, 09:24 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hightecredneck @ Jun 14 2004, 09:24 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-WillieSHOme@Jun 13 2004, 09:30 PM

Thanx! ;)
-- Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong here Alberto --

As Alberto said you only need one or the other. I decided to go with the Microtuner since i wanted multiple programs from him and also the ability to receive updates to those program via email and download them to my tuner and install them without a chip. The disadvantage to the Microtuner is you can't change programs quickly like it sounds like you can with the multi-position chip.

I don't have any "not always on mods" like your N20 so i can get away w/o having to quickly switch programs like you would need to take advantage of a N20 program. That and I didn't want to have to pull the chip and send it in to have it reprogramed for future mods so i got the microtuner. Also i needed an ODBII reader since my old ODB(I) reader didn't work for this car (the microtuner functions as an ODBII reader also). But if you are just wanting an ODBII reader you can get a unit that does just that much cheaper then buying the microtuner from Alberto after you have already purchased a chip from him. [/b][/quote]
That's pretty much all correct.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BTW Alberto, i was able to finally properly test that 87 octane program you had made for me yesterday morning on my way to military duty. It was about 5am, the sun was coming up, I65 was almost void of traffic and the roads were completely dry. I'd have to estimate (since i only have a 120mph speedo at present) but i'd say i got it damn close if not at 130mph before i got worried there might be a cop around the bend ahead and let off. It pulled nicely through all the gears and it still felt like there was plenty more left if i hadn't decided to slow down in case of cops. Looking forward to replacing the speedo with a Gen3 sho 150mph speedo and seeing just how fast it can go now. :D

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Originally posted by hightecredneck@Jun 14 2004, 01:13 PM
Looking forward to replacing the speedo with a Gen3 sho 150mph speedo and seeing just how fast it can go now. :D
Amen!

-Dan

·
Registered
308 Posts
Why would you want to get the tuner after you already have a chip? You'd need one OR the other...
I guess what I was thinking was. After having the chip and then making another mod, I would be able to get a update program and upload it. And the bonus would be the OBD II reader. If that's not the case, then my bad. ;)
So to say it right, the chip is what I will get. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts