Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

My '99 Taurus's Vulcan engine has bit the big one. How should I sell the rest?

992 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  rsteve56 
#1 ·
Hello, everyone! I joined the group back in 2019 to ask some general questions about my 1999 bubble-eyed Taurus. I never solved the problem I asked about, but the car served me well... until, unexpectedly, a line crumbled in the engine bay, and the engine itself was destroyed.

It happened very suddenly, and I pulled over at the first sign of odd behavior, but it was already too late. Had a mechanic come and do a coolant test, and watched as the pressure sent the kit flying off of the reservoir. We considered trying head gasket sealer, even though we know they are garbage, but the engine seized and made it impossible.

Here's the thing, though... The car has never been in an accident, has less than 100,000 miles on the chassis, has no oxidization of the paint, has a near-mint interior and trunk, new-ish rear struts and brakes, perfectly working A/C, and so on. The heater doesn't work, but I have a brand new heater core, still in box. I'm really, really upset about the engine, but I have another old car that is hobbling along, and I can't afford to pay a mechanic to buy and replace the engine for me.

I'm just worried that it's going to wind up crushed at a junker because it's a "hated" bubble-eyed, baby powder blue '99.

Do you think I should try selling it as one piece, considering how crazy the used car market is right now? If so, do you have any suggestions, price-wise? If not, what would be the best parts to try to remove, keeping in mind that I'm not a mechanic, but I am handy?

Thanks in advance. I'm sorry to be leaving the Taurus family under such conditions.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.