Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 Taurus is showing a small bit of rust above the drivers rear tire. Metal still feels solid, but I noticed a week or two ago some small bubbling in the paint there and now the paint is chipped away showing rust. This is the only rust on the whole car and I'd like to keep it to a minimum while I can, since it only has 55K on it. What is the best procedure to clean this up and touch up the paint (Toreador Red)? Also, should I do anything to the inside of the panel? The other side? Thanks in advance for the help. Car looks great cleaned up, so I hate to see it going downhill if it doesn't need to

·
Registered
189 Posts
That's a bummer, but you'll need to cut out the damaged metal and weld in a patch panel for any kind of lasting repair. You can use a fiberglass repair kit, and maybe get a year or so out of it. Maybe a good enough option, as truth is you're probably going to get lot's more rust spot's coming soon. I'd plan on replacing the car in the next couple year's, as at about 13 year's old then, certainly doesn't owe you anything.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts