Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i bought this 98 ford taurus a little over 4 months ago has run great up until the other day i was driving home when it just cut off and will not start back up since i turn the key gat 1 click and that is it engines seems to be seized crank shaft will not budge has good oil has plenty of collant attempted to jump the cylinoid which makes a whinnning noise but still will not kick over fuel swicth not tripped no one can figure out why and a few ppl have told me they never heard of one of these engines seizing im getting married in less bthen two weeks all my money is tied up in that so cannot afford to take it to a shop y answers has finally failed me and im running out of time before i have no ride to and from work as this is our only vehicle someone please help me if anyone has expiernced this problem or has any suggestions please email me at [email protected] or reply here ill try checkin back here as often as possible but i need serious help and hope someone here has that help!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for atleast reading tru king one

·
Registered
161 Posts
Try putting a breaker bar on the crank pulley. If you can spin the engine with that, then it's not seized. Might be a starter.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Just for starters, I would tap the starter with a hammer while someone was turning the key.

Since it died while driving, it may be something worse.

Mike
:dunno:

·
Registered
809 Posts
It sounds like a failed fuel pump. They pretty much either work or they don't. When you turn the key have someone listen for the pump to prime the system (have them stand near the gas tank area) if you hear nothing it's probably the pump.

Good Luck on solving this problem, it is difficult to diagnose over the internet.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I hate to be a Debbie Downer on this one, but could you at least get a sense of proper grammar? Or at least use a period every now and then.

I could barely understand what you typed!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my grammer is the least of the problems here for 1........................... theres enough periods to cover this whole blog now i have tried to turn the crank shaft with a breaker barbut no luck now i read not sure if it was on here y answers but someone said something about part of the starter be stuck inside the fly wheel now my ? is if that were the case would that cause the crank shaft to not turn even with a breaker bar on it thats my trial for tomorrow is to pull the starter off and see if the crank shaft will turn then. but again every one ive talked to about this have told me they have never heard of a taurus engine seizing so i am curious if anyone on here has i really really hope it is as simple as the starter or even the fuel pump oreven both i'd be ok with but a seized engine would not make me happy any thoughts??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and as for the fuel pump would i only get the clicing if that were it or would it crank over but not start and also after tryin again and again it is giving me repeated clicking instead of jus a single click then nothing

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hmmm this is difficult, we had a clicking issue with our Jeep but it was intermittent. It would just click once in a while, if we turned the key a few times it eventually started. It was a bad starter. That doesn't fit with your stiuation. Did you get any symptoms when it died?? You were driving along and it just shut off? No battery warning light? No service engine light ?

Maybe the alternator went bad and pulled the battery down to the point of ruining it? Did you try jumpstarting the car?

I have another thought, the cam synchro might have failed. It supplies the computer with the cam position and also runs the oil pump. You can check the topic finder and scroll down to cam synchro for more info.

Im grasping at straws here just trying to help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the check engine light came on about a month after i bought it and i have taken it to autozone three time to have it checked and all that comes up is egr flow insufficent i did try jumping it to no avail but my lights wipers stereo power locks and trunk release all still worked full strenght which after attempting to jump i moved on from the battery and i just bought it 2 months ago but i know it could still be possible but yea up until it died out it was running great no knocking no noise at all except my front passenger strut is bad but thats it im really back and forth with this whole starter jamming the fly wheel thing cause to me even thou my knowledge of cars is very much limited seems to make the most sense at this point but i could be wrong

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and i do very much appreciate the help mh488 you have no idea how mind boggiling this has been the last few days so thank you for the suggestions

·
Registered
809 Posts
QUOTE (tru king @ May 31 2010, 11:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808251
and i do very much appreciate the help mh488 you have no idea how mind boggiling this has been the last few days so thank you for the suggestions[/b]
You are welcome, I know these problems so often mask themselves like another problems, without the diagnostic tools and knowledge it is hard to figure things out.

The bad part of it is when money is so tight I hate recommending this or that, just throwing parts at it tends to cost more to actually fix the issue. I'm broke too so I know it sucks. Good luck man.

I think if you remove the starter and can get a friend to get you to autoparts store they can check it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea it does lol but yea thats my goal tomorrow is to get it off finally which was the intention yesterday but after trying the crank shaft i really thought it was seized until i heard about the fly wheel thing so i haven't actually taken it off yet so i will after work tomorrow take it in if it's not obvious when i get it off and if so get a new one so i don't have the same prob with a used one but agin thank you and for every one the problem is not yet solved so please continue to leave suggestions i will check tomorrow incase my status hasn't changed thank you all again

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
QUOTE (tru king @ May 31 2010, 11:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808269
yea it does lol but yea that's my goal tomorrow is to get it off finally which was the intention yesterday but after trying the crank shaft i really thought it was seized until i heard about the fly wheel thing so i haven't actually taken it off yet so i will after work tomorrow take it in if it's not obvious when i get it off and if so get a new one so i don't have the same prob with a used one but again thank you and for every one the problem is not yet solved so please continue to leave suggestions i will check tomorrow in-case my status hasn't changed thank you all again[/b]
Take all the spark plugs out and make sure your not hydro locked....
then see if it turns over with the plugs out.

If it turns over then and water squirts out of one of the plug holes, you
have a bad head gasket or a cracked head, or maybe some intake issue.

bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok guys so heres an update on my unsolved mystery it is not the starter have takin and had it tested and they said it is good now we are tearing apart to see if the if maybe the timing chain has wrapped around inside and if that is not it im thinking just taking and parking it at my inlaws and either one i get a new engine or two i can figure out and fix this one or three i find someone in ohio to make me a real offer on it not 275 bucks for something i paid 1800 for and put another 6 into which alt starter now know work new brakes collant over flow egr sensor battery two new tires and all 4 on very fair minimal rust and paint chips a very clean engine for the most part clean interior only things wrong aside from my main problem is at least frnt pass strut bad but found a part car at a local yard with 4 brand new ones litteraly brand new on it for 35 a piece which was the next thing i was supposed to be doin but what the hell it happens

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
hi,

when you move key to unlock the steering column,
you should hear the fuel pump run about 10 seconds or so,
this is to pressurize the fuel system before the engine cranks.

if you have not done so already, please remove the
serpentine belt from the engine, and try to rotate the
engine in either direction with plugs removed.

**** light bulb over my head moment here ****

I bet the Cam synchronizer assembly is seized up.

I assume when the engine stopped you herd no massive metal to metal
sounds or obvious engine damage sounds.

The synchronizer assembly is basically this:
picture the good old distributor but with the top half cut off.
it keeps the timing for the camshaft position for the engine computer
as well as driving the oil pump.

not too expensive to repair and since the engine will not crank it should
be an easy removal and just slip in a new quality part not those china junk part.

let us know what you find out.

regards,

james

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I read on this site you're not supposed to rotate a Duratec backwards. Unfortunately, I don't have any other ideas to help.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
hi,

the crankshaft bolt can loosen if rotated backwards.

with the plugs out and serp belt removed no problem,
should be able to turn it by hand.

I'm pretty sure his problem is with the cam sync.

regards

james

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I believe it had to do with the timing chain tensioner. I don't have a Duratec, so I did not pay close attention.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts