Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the strangest thing happened today, my 97 SHO was working fine up until I started her up a few hours ago.
I put her into D and she wouldn't move, 1 and 2 don't work either. I then tried N and got out to see if I could push her, wouldn't move (still in park). I didn't feel the transmission shifting so I hope it has something to with the shifter itself.

Any ideas?

BTW its a floor shifter

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm not familiar with the taurus shifting linkage but from experience with other cars it sounds like the shifter cable/linkage is broke somewhere. I've seen the cable ends break. Also had a caviler that the metal bracket that holds the outer cable sleeve in place by the trans snap.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well hopefully it is the cable and not the transmission
heres a diagram of the shifter

Description
1 Transmission Shift Cable

2 Ignition/Shifter Interlock Cable

3 Transaxle Range Selector Lever and Housing Assembly

4 Data Link Connector

5 Nut

6 Transmission Shift Cable Bracket

7 Bolt

8 Nut

9 Main Control Cover

10 Nut

11 Shift Actuator Cable Fitting

12 Screw

13 Screw

·
Registered
13 Posts
It sound like something in the mechanical part of the shifting like scott37300 said. If you can remove the cover for the shifter, (by the diagram it looks like you have a floor shifter) peer inside and move the lever and see if the cable is moving back and forth with it to see if its disconnected/damaged at the shifter. If its not up there find a way to crawl underneath and see if you can't get an angle on it that you can see the cable going to the transmission shifting lever. Then have a friend or spouse shift it and see if the lever is moving to different selections. If its not moving its something with the mechanical (lets hope thats what it is). However if its shifting and the selector is moving, you will have to have a transmission shop look at it. (unless you are able to do transmission work)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good news, I found out that the end of the cable (just under the throttle body) had come off the control lever, all that it needed was a cotter pin to keep it in place, now its good as new

Thanks for the help! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts