Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've owned my bull now for just over five years. We have been through much together, many repairs, many cuts, many bruises, many dollars.

She is started to get rough, fender lips/areas are starting to get bad, doglegs are bad, and the rocker panels are as well. I don't necessarily see these as being deal breakers, I mean, I think, at least a couple years ago, I could still by aftermarket rocker panels, doglegs, front fenders and a hood. rear quarters are a different story, but still I don't see that as bein a deal breaker either.

Had the car in for an inspection the other day because my brakes felt like they weren't working properly. I was right, the fluid was very low (and I think I got air in the system because of how low it is), shop says I need a new master cylinder, and a hose. replaced the hose.

The go on to tell me the subframe is getting bad, however I had it off last summer and it had no soft spots anywhere.

Notwithstanding those issues, the car does just need some work, should I just maintain it until I find something else? Or fix it and drive it till its completely dead? I'd just get another taurus either way. I know these posts come up every once in a while, and they are cheesy, but really, whats an owner to do when it comes to this point?

She's 19, and about 350k.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
not shabby for a canadian car... if it was me ... just figure out the costs and look around i know in ontario the prices of 2000 - 2002's are pretty decent.... depends on weither you want to spend the money to fix this or upgrade and then start all over again... if its mechanically fine and just needs the body work like most canadian cars ... just do the bodywork and drive it till it goes....

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it is not bad at all for being almost 20. The problem with getting it repaired, is the lack of body shops in my area. And not to mention a lot of them only want to do collision body work, and not get into the rust issues.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Yeah see i'm lucky enough that for body work my father does all mine... so its easier but i know in the autotrader there was some good deals when i was looking when i was in toronto 2 weeks ago

·
Registered
290 Posts
high mileage gen4's start at 2000$ roughly. And it's a sturdy machine!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts