Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up an '89 Taurus L 3.0 for $500. Growing up we always had a Taurus or two at any given time. Never once had a tranny problem with any of them. I drove a '90 in high school with close to 200k on it, original tranny always shifted fine.

This '89 I picked up cruises down the highway with no problems, but taking off from a stop the 1-2 shift is a little slow. I can apply more throttle and a shutter occurs sometimes...similar to the action of running over some train tracks.

Also...I roll up to a stop light, and sometimes it has a harsh 2-1 downshift. Almost like a jerk. The front and rear motor mounts on this car are wasted by the way...related? I'm afraid to drop the pan and change the filter. I've heard too many horror stories of them not lasting too long after.

I bought it as a commuter car, tired of putting miles on my newer Silverado. My family has always had great luck with these cars...so I figured I'd give another Taurus a shot. Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well changed the mounts out, and put in a new intermediate servo piston. Still no change. I noticed the fluid is pretty clean and a new gasket is on the pan. Maybe the previous owner was trying to fix this problem? Hmmm....

It still has a good 1-2 shift, with a slow, 2-3 slip. If I'm hard on it 2-3 shudders really bad. Then I get the nice 2-1 coasting hard shift.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.