Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing how I change stereo systems like most people clothes I had to share this new one. I really like this one the most, as the time and care that was taken with it allowed for more than I planned. The little stuff you don't see is what makes it as good as the stuff you can see. The dealer that took care of this took the time to run 0 guage wire through the whole car, put really nice terminals on the battery and a mathcing in fuse holder. They did just a bunch of little stuff that I won't bore you with. Any way, here it is, tell me what you think. Those of you with a Gen4 will notice the Audio Control 3.1 is located where the CD pocket and lighter once was. They relocated the lighter to the side of my console. They flush mounted the Pioneer AVICN-1 into the dash for me, which looks so much better than it did. On each side of the amp in the trunk is a 15" blue neon tube and it lights up through the fins of the amp. You can't see it during the day, but at night it really looks good. I also have a few blue LED's in the truck for more lighting. There are a couple things I think we are going to change, like add a 6 disc DVD changer(Pioneer) and a TV tuner(Pioneer) as well. I am thinking of taking the passenger side airbag out and mounting a PS2 in its spot. We are also thinking of taking the single voice coil subs out and replacing them with 2 DVC's and adding another GMD510M mono block amp. That way I would have about 500 watts RMS going to each sub...just a thought.

http://www.supermotors.org/registry/vehicl...s=18890#content

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Looks good. What exactly does that Audio Control 3.1 unit do? I couldn't make out what the writing said on it. I like how they mounted that in there - I had thought about putting something in there as well, I don't use that tray and I never use the lighter.

I'm currently building/desiging my own system as well as one for another member on the forum. I always enjoy seeing pics of other people's systems and designs.

Great job :thumb:

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks brother!!!

The Audio Control 3.1 is just an in-dash EQ more or less. It has one input and 3 outputs. It is also a line driver. I love my AVICN-1 but it is only a 2 volt output. As you and I...and I am sure others here know, that isn't crap. It basically took a good sounding system and made it better...way better!!! I never really use the tray area either and the only thing I use the lighter socket for is one of my cell phones, so I couldn't lose it but moving it worked well. They wraped the trim panel in black vinyl, and it really looks like it belongs there. I like it and after we do the additions and slight changes I will like it even better!!!

Here is a link to the AC 3.1:

http://www.audiocontrol.com/MobileAudio/Pr...ash/Three1.html

X

·
0 Posts
I thought the AC line driver only helps of you have interference.

How do you like the avicn-1. I keep hearing good things about them. Do you have the car gauges wired up to it?

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by XLSuruaT@Jul 5 2004, 10:29 PM
I thought the AC line driver only helps of you have interference.

How do you like the avicn-1. I keep hearing good things about them. Do you have the car gauges wired up to it?
I love my N1 now that I have the AC 3.1 to boost the output. That is the only weak point on that thing. I do have the gauges hooked up, seeing how it is only one wire. Everything else is done in the hide-away brain, and you don't have a choice whether to hook that up. Let me know when you are ready for one, I will get you the right price!!!!

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
So would you say that that AC Three.1 is worth the $260 (cheapest i found) price tag in your opinion?

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by hightecredneck@Jul 6 2004, 07:35 PM
So would you say that that AC Three.1 is worth the $260 (cheapest i found) price tag in your opinion?
It depends on what head unit you have. If you have a head unit that doesn't perform some of the functions and capabilities of the 3.1, then yes, its probably worth the money. If, however your headunit already performs the majority of its functions, then no, its probably not worth it. By his enthusiasm towards the product and the fact that it adds a 3rd set of preamp outs for him, I'd say 12voltrep seems to think its worth it.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by golovko+Jul 6 2004, 08:10 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (golovko @ Jul 6 2004, 08:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-hightecredneck@Jul 6 2004, 07:35 PM
It depends on what head unit you have. If you have a head unit that doesn't perform some of the functions and capabilities of the 3.1, then yes, its probably worth the money. If, however your headunit already performs the majority of its functions, then no, its probably not worth it. By his enthusiasm towards the product and the fact that it adds a 3rd set of preamp outs for him, I'd say 12voltrep seems to think its worth it. [/b][/quote]
Cool, that answer makes sense and works for me :D

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It doesn't give me any addtional outputs, the N1 has 3 already. I would say it is worth it if you want that much control over your listening pleasure. This is one line that I don't rep, so I am not bias in my recommendation of this unit. They offer a 4.1, which gives you AUX in. Head units all pretty much have an on board EQ of some type. Some are better than others and some just plain suck. A company like Audio Control focuses on one thing, sound processing...that's it. Pioneer and every other head unit line out there can't focus on processing, they have other things that are more important...like "overall" performance. The average consumer has no need for a high end processor. Me being somewhat of an audiophile need something more than the head unit can provide. Then again the average consumer doesn't need the AVICN-1 either. The other benefit to the 3.1 is the ease of adjusting the settings. Golovko you know that most of the setting in the high end HU's are not always easy to get to. These are at my fingertips, which I love!!! The simple answer to your question is yes, in my opinion it is worth the money if you are doing a multi-amp system and are in any way serious about the SQ.

And by the way, I want to thank Matt, Jay, Nate, Brandon, Sowers and all the other guys at Unlimited Audio and Accessories(7085 Huntley Rd.) here in Columbus, Ohio for the great job they did for me. If you are anywhere near Columbus please stop in and visit them. Tell them "Pioneer" Steve sent you.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
ah, I thought I read up above that the N1 had 2 sets of outputs. I went back and re-read it, 2 volt preouts...I guess that screen sucks up most of the potential coming to that unit. Good call on the addition of the 3.1

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hey! Those speakers look a lot like mine. I've got two Pioneer Premier TS-W124D shallow-mount subs. I love the fact that they're nearly half as deep as my old subs and hit a lot harder. I've even got the same grill covers as you.... hmm, wonder if they're still in my car....

(At the moment, no they are not. My trunk is completely bare. It's nothing but metal and a helmet (Kevlar) for work. My stuff is sitting in my storage building waiting for a new install (hopefully this weekend).

Derek

BTW, I like the speaker cluster in the door. I may have to remember that.... You have any pics on the install process?

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I don't suppose anyone has come up with something for those with Auto Climate Control yet, huh?

-Dan

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by dant98@Jul 9 2004, 01:59 PM
I don't suppose anyone has come up with something for those with Auto Climate Control yet, huh?

-Dan
I am looking into fabricating something for one of the other members on this board with digi clim; if I'm able to come up with something I will create a thread about it.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Cool! Are you looking at replacing the buttons and all all together, or somehow seperating the Climate Control section from the radio controls?

-Dan

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I'm hoping to seperate the two; but I haven't actually taken one apart yet so I'm not positive about how its going to go yet. If I can get the electronics mess straightened out, fabricating the actuall panel will be the easy part

X

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by 12Volt_rep@Jul 6 2004, 01:32 PM
Let me know when you are ready for one, I will get you the right price!!!!
HAHA, thanks. Too bad it is out of my price range. I ended up buying an eclipse cd8454 a few weeks ago. The 8v preouts, built in eq/dsp, etc. lets me be cheap and not have to add anything else for superb sound, however, I am sure those other products will make a difference.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm planning on replacing my center dash and placing an 8" screen in there. This will require my AC controls to be moved. One option that I am currently looking at is an overhead console for a Ford Expedition. Depending on the width I may be able to use it in my car. (BTW, got regular AC controls, NOT digital.)

Derek

1 - 18 of 18 Posts