Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my used 2008 taurus and so far it is perfect The problem I am having is on exit ramps that do a 3/4 to full circle this thing winds up like a clock and you have to be very strong to counter the body roll force. Am I taking the turn faster than I should, of course I am but this needs to be fixed. I work at a dealership so I have unlimited resources and the ability to find and purchase the parts I need. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
this thing winds up like a clock and you have to be very strong to counter the body roll force.
Please explain. And slow down please.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
If the sway bars are connected and such, you might want to consider upgrading to a larger diameter sway bar.

Not sure what models are compatible with the 2008 Taurus though. If there is a swaybar from a higher-spec or heavy-duty model I would definitely try it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the sway bars are connected and such, you might want to consider upgrading to a larger diameter sway bar.

Not sure what models are compatible with the 2008 Taurus though. If there is a swaybar from a higher-spec or heavy-duty model I would definitely try it.
Thanks for the response. I'm gonna get the creeper and take a look tonight. If it's whimpy maybe a sho sway bar can be swapped out.
Thanks again!:3_eyes:

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Thanks for the response. I'm gonna get the creeper and take a look tonight. If it's whimpy maybe a sho sway bar can be swapped out.
Thanks again!:3_eyes:
That's where I'm not sure. The latest-model SHO was in 1999 before the 2010 model year. I don't know if either of these models have a sway bar that is compatible with yours.

Do you have AWD or just front-wheel drive?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's where I'm not sure. The latest-model SHO was in 1999 before the 2010 model year. I don't know if either of these models have a sway bar that is compatible with yours.

Do you have AWD or just front-wheel drive?
Fwdr! A shock change may be in order if I have trouble finding a sway bar replacement. Heres my baby! Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I know the Ford Five Hundred and the 08-9 Taurus share the same platform. I remember reading that the Five Hundred road a bit firmer. But again, I read some suspension changes were made between the two models. May be worth looking at a Ford Five Hundred or a Mercury Montego from 05-07 to see if suspension components can be moved to an 08-09.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
500 bad body roll

Just got my used 2008 taurus and so far it is perfect The problem I am having is on exit ramps that do a 3/4 to full circle this thing winds up like a clock and you have to be very strong to counter the body roll force. Am I taking the turn faster than I should, of course I am but this needs to be fixed. I work at a dealership so I have unlimited resources and the ability to find and purchase the parts I need. Any help would be appreciated!
Before replacing parts I would check to see if this behaviour is normal, / check undercarriage for bent, damaged suspension parts, what about the tires, inflated correctly, the right size.
same problem right and left turns?

·
Registered
42 Posts
please keep me posted if you find upgraded suspension parts or larger sway bars been searching for that stuff for awhile i also have an 08 fwd

·
Registered
34 Posts
I find with my 08, I have very little body roll... The car seems pretty easy to control.. Maybe it was because I drove a Grand Marquis before this, though :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem

I think I'm having the same problem.

Mine is a 2009 Taurus SEL AWD, I bought the car brand new and never made any modifications to it.

It was always a little sloppy on turns but I attributed that to the AWD and compensated with throttle modifications on turns, but the last 3 months or so have been absolutely terrible.

If I get above 60Mph somehow, the car just dances all over the lane, I really have to slow down into all turns, no matter how soft they are or else it feels like the car will drift out of it's lane (and it's a pretty wide car so that would be terrible), my passengers constantly tell me that it feels like we are going faster than we actually are and I see F-150s take the same turns a lot easier.

The body roll is just terrible, my warranty expires in Sept so I will definitely bring it in before then, but I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions, right now the body roll (if I'm calling it correctly) is making the car very difficult to drive.

And by the way I'm a minimal driver, just about 3 years of owning the car and I just hit 9K miles so the car is not over driven at all.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
The latest-model SHO was in 1999 before the 2010 model year.
Better go check again. There has been a SHO version of the latest "huge" Taurus for two or three years now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The body roll on the 08-09's really is insane. We use ours mostly as a highway cruiser so it doesn't bother me so much, but I've never driven another car that was so ridiculous on turns. I have heard that the 500's were better even though they share the same platform. I wonder how the 2010-present models compare?

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
It's a big tank. Made for cruising, not cornering. Now a Fusion, on the other hand......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts