Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i opened a scottrade account with $500.... i think ive done pretty well!!!

J

·
0 Posts
cool
How did you decided what to buy/sell - what are good sources of information and/or tips?

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
What was your dollar/cost averaging? Did you sell those securities within a year of purchase...a.k.a short term gain taxed at 38% for securities sold within 365 days of purchase vs. (i think) long term gains (over a year) taxed at around 28%?

So, you have made $236.00 for the year, or does that reflect a return of 147%?

Scottrade is a good discount broker, Firstrade is another with market orders at about $6.95/trade, with no minimum to open and low cost call and put orders as well, in addition to a "streaming" "real time" ticker.

I myself bought into Invision (INVN) at $15.20/share, Network Appliance (NTAP) at $7.57/share, Providian (PVN) at $3.00/share, and more recently Comverse Technology (CMVT) at $16.70. With the exception of CMVT I have held all these for over a year.

There are a mulitude of research/rating sites. CNBC.com, offer excellent resources, as well as Fidelity (my broker). Mornigstar is another well known stock research site. Even the basic Yahoo infomation can be helpful. IMO the key is to cross referance each co. you are researching with at least 5-6 different research tools. IBD (Investor's Business Daily) is an excellent research/rating source that uses a chart pattern reading basis called "Canslim" which looks for "cup" and "cup and saucer" patterns on charts, it was developed by IBD founder William O'Neil.
Investor's Business Daily <----- Go look around a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by jason8225@Feb 20 2004, 12:56 PM
cool
How did you decided what to buy/sell - what are good sources of information and/or tips?
I did a lot of research...looked at charts etc etc

Scottrade provides a good amount of information, and also yahoo finance has a good deall.. .

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Troper8@Feb 20 2004, 01:54 PM
What was your dollar/cost averaging? Did you sell those securities within a year of purchase...a.k.a short term gain taxed at 38% for securities sold within 365 days of purchase vs. (i think) long term gains (over a year) taxed at around 28%?

So, you have made $236.00 for the year, or does that reflect a return of 147%?

Scottrade is a good discount broker, Firstrade is another with market orders at about $6.95/trade, with no minimum to open and low cost call and put orders as well, in addition to a "streaming" "real time" ticker.

I myself bought into Invision (INVN) at $15.20/share, Network Appliance (NTAP) at $7.57/share, Providian (PVN) at $3.00/share, and more recently Comverse Technology (CMVT) at $16.70. With the exception of CMVT I have held all these for over a year.

There are a mulitude of research/rating sites. CNBC.com, offer excellent resources, as well as Fidelity (my broker). Mornigstar is another well known stock research site. Even the basic Yahoo infomation can be helpful. IMO the key is to cross referance each co. you are researching with at least 5-6 different research tools. IBD (Investor's Business Daily) is an excellent research/rating source that uses a chart pattern reading basis called "Canslim" which looks for "cup" and "cup and saucer" patterns on charts, it was developed by IBD founder William O'Neil.
Investor's Business Daily <----- Go look around a bit.
dollar/cost average??? i had 70 dollars worth of commition cost... and yes i sold those stocks w/in a year..because that statement is from my first year of day trading hahaha

anyways, yes i made 236 dollars from a year, and the accountant is taking care of my taxes.. leave it up to him

But yeah, there are a lot of online brokrage firms out there, i personally like scottrade (ive had experience with 2 others besides scottrade)

Scottrade lets you open an account with 500 dollars, and charges 7 dollars a trade... they charge 12 dollars a trade if you make a buy or sell order, but that can be very benificial.. if you konw what youre doing and have more than 500 bucks haha

I do all the research myself, looking at places such as yahoo finance, and scottrade provides an adequate amount on their site as well... i think i did pretty damn well for first time ever though

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
I just re-read my post, I hope I didn't sound demeaning in any way. If I did, or if it read as demeaning, I apologize, as that was not my intent.

Dollar-Cost Averaging
The process of investing fixed dollar amounts at regular intervals, regardless of the market’s direction.[/b]
You got me thinking about my dollar/cost average..had to go back and figure it out.
Per share average: $12.04/share
Here is the results on the first $500.00

Return of 81.5% - meaning the balance on the first $500 was $907.92...a.k.a I made $407.92 off the first $500 investment. Those returns were generated by (INVN), (NTAP), and (PVN).

All this assuming of course that my math is close.

I need a :doctor: now my head hurts....

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Troper8@Feb 20 2004, 06:22 PM
I just re-read my post, I hope I didn't sound demeaning in any way. If I did, or if it read as demeaning, I apologize, as that was not my intent.

Dollar-Cost Averaging
The process of investing fixed dollar amounts at regular intervals, regardless of the market’s direction.
You got me thinking about my dollar/cost average..had to go back and figure it out.

Return of 81.5% - meaning the balance on the first $500 was $907.92...a.k.a I made $407.92 off the first $500 investment. Those returns were generated by (INVN), (NTAP), and (PVN).

[/b][/quote]
post your return statement like i did kthnxbye

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Originally posted by afi292+Feb 20 2004, 04:40 PM-->QUOTE (afi292 @ Feb 20 2004, 04:40 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Troper8
@Feb 20 2004, 06:22 PM

Dollar-Cost Averaging
The process of investing fixed dollar amounts at regular intervals, regardless of the market’s direction.

[/b]
post your return statement like i did kthnxbye [/b][/quote]
I don't have a "return" statement. I have 3 different brokerage accounts through Fidelity, Firstrade and Sharebuilder.

The return numbers were based on an average of $500 of my total investment. I went back and averaged out until I came up a total of $500 invested. This was rather difficult to do because I had opened 2 of the brokerage accounts very close together.

Your return is very good for someone with limited experiance. You should probably look into investing a little more and maybe over a broader range of securities.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Troper8+Feb 20 2004, 07:29 PM-->QUOTE (Troper8 @ Feb 20 2004, 07:29 PM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 20 2004, 04:40 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Troper8
@Feb 20 2004, 06:22 PM

Dollar-Cost Averaging

post your return statement like i did kthnxbye [/b]
I don't have a "return" statement. I have 3 different brokerage accounts through Fidelity, Firstrade and Sharebuilder.

The return numbers were based on an average of $500 of my total investment. I went back and averaged out until I came up a total of $500 invested. This was rather difficult to do because I had opened 2 of the brokerage accounts very close together.

Your return is very good for someone with limited experiance. You should probably look into investing a little more and maybe over a broader range of securities. [/b][/quote]
Ok, i believe you now because you gave me the correct advice LOL

sorry for any doubts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts