Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guyz my midly modded 98 vulcan ran a 0-60 in 7.78 sec and the 1/4 was 16.2 not bad for only have a few mods, but this spring I have over 5 parts I busted my butt for, cant tell anyone until the final times are posted....Im happy so far!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Originally posted by taurus8916@Jan 4 2004, 01:39 PM
Hey guyz my midly modded 98 vulcan ran a 0-60 in 7.78 sec and the 1/4 was 16.2 not bad for only have a few mods, but this spring I have over 5 parts I busted my butt for, cant tell anyone until the final times are posted....Im happy so far!
That is way off. Try 17.2

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
My stock duratec couldnt break 0-60 under 8, so I would say it's pretty unlikely you did with only a couple mods. Go to a track in the summer and see how he numbers compare.

What was the mph in the 1/4?

·
Banned
509 Posts
Yeah, when my Vulcan runs about a 17.2...

Then now I have a CAI, and some other stuff.. So I dont know what it runs right now.. probbably a 8

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah Im used to the bulls*** everyone dishes out, I frankly dont even know why I still come here, but so far the mods are cai, superchip, 2/1/4 piping, high flow cats, perf.muffler, ecu module, new plugs and wires, soon theres more but I DONT want to mention anything becuz prolly will just get let down anyway....... thats what the damn meter said, whatever Ill take a pic when its warmer out to show from here on

·
Registered
486 Posts
i agree about the bs.

with the mods u got i would think that those times would be pretty feasible. Good luck with the upcoming mods. Be sure to tell us, or me by pm, to avoid the bs, ur new times.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Originally posted by taurus8916@Jan 4 2004, 09:01 PM
Yeah Im used to the bulls*** everyone dishes out, I frankly dont even know why I still come here, but so far the mods are cai, superchip, 2/1/4 piping, high flow cats, perf.muffler, ecu module, new plugs and wires, soon theres more but I DONT want to mention anything becuz prolly will just get let down anyway....... thats what the damn meter said, whatever Ill take a pic when its warmer out to show from here on
No need to get pissy. Joe and I are just stating an obvious point. Your g-tech is giving you a bad number. You don't have the mods to support a 16.2 time it is pretty clear. Venom(Eric) has the same mods more or less on a duratec that bring it down to the 15.1 range but there is no way you will pull that with a vulcan. After a phenolic spacer, full p+p, a ud pulley and a fuel system upgrade you could get that range.

I'm not trying to cut you down bud but like I said before your posts make you look foolish and inexperienced with cars. Sorry but it is true. and if y'all got a problem with me speaking the truth go ahead and say it because I know the reasons the old members don't post and I am more then happy to join the ranks of the silent members.

J

·
0 Posts
don't forget the rare possibility of a factory freak as well... just something to consider... at any rate... while some would like to doubt its credibility, I have a 16.9 slip from Lapeer w/ my vulcan and the only mods were Intake silencer removal, K&N Panel filter & flowmaster muffler (running on fresh Valvoline full synthetic oil w/ new autolite platinum plugs)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't doubt those times...I don't doubt Taurus8916's either. I guess I don't think of the Vulcan as a bad engine like most...maybe I did get a freak motor when I bought it, all i know is, I beat EVERY SHO that has pulled up next to me. Doubt all you want doesn't bother me in the least. I still love you people, whenever I have a problem you always help.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Originally posted by taurus8916@Jan 4 2004, 10:01 PM
Stop getting all dramatic. If you didnt want people to call bs you should have listed your full mod list with the time.

With your mods I actually can see that a low 16 would be possible. All you really need for that time would be about 150whp, and lets assume that stock you are making 130whp. I wuld say that 20whp gain from your mods is not out of the question. I'm still curious as to what mph the gtech said for the 16.2 run however.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
A single 16.2 second quarter mile is one thing--repeating it 5 times in each direction on the same stretch of road is quite a different story. I'm not trying to fan the flames here, I'm just telling you that a single run won't cut it unless you are on a dragstrip. A single trip down a dragstrip IS RELIABLE, because the dragstrip is a flat (and hopefully smooth) surface. In other words, you are testing in a controlled environment. The G-tech is quite accurate in its measurements, but unless they are done in a controlled environment, the numbers are quite meaningless. In order to rule the slope of the road, wind assistance, etc. you need to do several runs in rapid succession going in opposite directions on the same stretch of road, and then take the average. Even then, if the road is bowl-shaped (downward slope at the beginning, upward slope at the end) you will get lower numbers both directions than you would on a flat road, b/c you are getting assistance from gravity off the line, where you need it most.

FWIW, I have done a 6.15second 0-60 run in my SHO, but that number was meaningless because the road had a very slight downward slope. When I turned around and ran the opposite direction, I was well over 7 seconds.

Having said all that, I don't doubt that a 16.2 sec 1/4 mile is possible with a lightly modded Vulcan, especially if the trans is in good shape.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Well said, and all 100% true. Get some timeslips from a dragstrip this spring and you'll shutup all the bs callers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts