Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -

I recently acquired a 1995 3.0 sedan from my ex: one of the reasons I got it was because it's using water.

She had the car for a long time, then it started to leak water. It was the radiator, which I replaced. However it started to run warm - not overheat, but warmer than usual. So I replaced the water pump, thermostat, and flushed the system completely. All returned to normal.

It's now running fine, but it uses water: in 200 miles, it uses up the expansion tank.

Of course, I suspect head gaskets, BUT the engine runs beautifully, never overheats even with the AC on, and there's no sign of water in the oil.....if anything, it runs too cool, and it always has.:(

So where's the water all going?? It's not leaking anywhere, so if it's not the head gaskets, what the heck could it be??

Any ideas??

Thanks!!
Bruce

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You can't assume it isn't drinking water. Intake or head gaskets could be leaking into the combustion chamber. I would check spark plugs for signs of contamination.

Then again, how many times have you replaced the coolant in the tank? I recently replaced intake gaskets on my GM 3800, even with using the bleeder valve it still took two overflow bottle refills to completely satisfy the system after driving.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion: I'm afraid you're probably right: I'll pop a plug when I can get it off the road and have a look. Bah!!:(

The only other strange thing it does is when I start it from cold, there's a loud gurgling from the heater core/pipes: it goes away after a few minutes. Air in the system?

Bruce

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, just one more update in case it prompts anyone to think of anything else....

I did all the checks I know to test for a failed head gasket:

1. I started the engine, held it in gear at 2000rpm for 30 seconds, switched it off. I removed the radiator cap: a failed gasket should pressurize the cooling system and shoot out water. There was no pressure at all and no water shot out.
  2. No white smoke at all from the exhaust at any time.
  3. no sweet antifreeze smell from exhaust.
  4. No overheating.
  5. Oil is clear and black: no sign of water in oil anywhere.
So that's it: where's my damn water going??:(

Of course, I'm still worried it might be the head gasket, but now I'm looking at other options too. Jeff, thanks for your input, I'm going to see what I can do to bleed off any air.

If anyone can suggest anything else.....?! I'm still worried: if it ends up being a head gasket there's no way I have the $$ for a replacement, so here's hoping!!

Thanks
Bruce

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I started the engine, held it in gear at 2000rpm for 30 seconds, switched it off. I removed the radiator cap: a failed gasket should pressurize the cooling system and shoot out water. There was no pressure at all and no water shot out.
Where did that theory come from? Nothing pressurizes until the coolant heats up. A failed gasket will leak and not allow the system to build pressure. If you really want to pressure test the system, buy or borrow a coolant pressure test kit.

What did the plugs look like?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
pressure test, if it holds, jack the right front up as high as you can get it start car and let run for a while. add coolant as needed. could be a massive air pocket.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Rudedog, why jack up the right front? Or is that a dumb question?!;)

The reason I think it might be air pockets is that it gurgles loudly from the heater core every time I start it.....only when cold.

WJC, you're right about the plugs: it's the only easy test I haven't done. since I cant do it in my apartment complex. I had the oil changed today and they said it was fine.

I'm going to look into buying a pressure test kit, thought I don't know what pressure it should hold, so I'll have to find that out somewhere!

Thanks
Bruce

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Sheila for the pressure info.

Just as an update: after the last fill up of the expansion tank, I've done about 150 miles on mixed roads: no more gurgling from the heater core, and no more water loss so far......

......if I see any more loss, I'm going to pressure test it.

Thanks!
Bruce:D

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Pressure test the cooling system and look for leaks (e.g. heater core). Watch the pressure gauge, if its loosing pressure and you don't find the leak then coolant may be filling into your cylinders (e.g. bad head gasket or cracked head). You may have a hairline crack in the cylinder head.

I've heard on some V-8 Ford engines on the (Mercury Grand Marquis), there is a bleeder valve to remove air from the cooling system. Not sure if your engine has this feature but its worth a look.

Monsoon

·
Registered
23,812 Posts
Gen 2 tauri were bad about the rad. plastic end tanks leaking at the crimps when they cooled down (overnite) and small amounts of coolant sitting on tray underneath eventually to be blown (sprayed) by fan and air flow. Eventually you should detect some spotting and/or odor though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.