Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents are going to Washington state to visit some family in a week or so. My dad is driving his 1999 Ford F-250 SuperDuty XLT (Power Stroke, towing pkg, etc) and my mom is flying. My dad wanted me to go with him and bring back my 1992 Ford Tempo LX thats in storage up there. However, all the work I want done to the Tempo can only be done in that area (trans swap, 3-speed to 5-speed, custom paint, interior, etc) with my connections so I told him that it'd be better to bring me my other Ford Taurus, also in storage in WA.

I just applied to a Government job in this area so I'm waiting to hear back from them. If I get the job I wont be going to WA but I'll have my dad tow the Taurus back anyway. Then as I work I can fix up both my 1993 GL and my 1988 L. If I do not get the job, I will go with him, driving my 1993 GL up there and stay there. I do not really like it here in Mississippi, there is little work and I have no connections with which to get cheap autoparts (it burns me up to pay $100 for a set of head lamp buckets where as I could just about buy a whole damn 92-5 parts car up there for that, with either a blown AXOD or a blown Essex).

The 1988 L needs a few things before I could possibly drive it accross country. The 2.5 Liter HSC 4cyl runs well. The tranny leaks, but shifts fine I suppose. The radiator leaks badly due to the 4" gash on the back side. The head lights, tail lights and turn signals do not work, a fuse(s) was/were blown when the previous jackass, oops I mean owner put the battery in backwards. Reminds me, also needs a battery but I have a new MotorCraft battery in my Tempo, I could put that in the '93 GL and put the cheap ProStart battery currently in the 1993 into the 1988, LOL.

The bad thing about bringing the 1988 L down here is that it does not have A/C. Its not that the A/C doesnt work, it just lacks the option. With temps over 100 around the summer here, it'd be a tough sell but if I get a job down here and make the money I'm supposed to be making, it'd be better to have it to work on on the weekends, etc. Once I fix it up, I could always drive it back to WA to sell it or just keep the damn thing as an extra car. Only having $50 into it currently makes that option possible. Its not like I currently have a shitload of money tied up in it, you know. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
The toughest thing is going to be the fact that it's an HSC motor. Ford really dropped the ball on that one, the HSC is nowhere near enough motor to pull around a 3000lb car.

Personally, if I didn't get the job, I'd take the car back and keep it as a backup, if space and insurance on it are doable. It will be a tough sell with 90 horse and no A/C.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
I belive the 2.3 will make it, but with the lerks i say no.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I agree the car is underpowered. However, its just a basic transportation car, nothing special (which is why it'd make a great back-up car incase the '93 has problems, someone's barrowing it, etc). The good thing about the HSC is that its an incredibly reliable engine, almost impossible to kill. Of course, hauling around a heavy car for 162,000 miles and the 300 lb owner probably subjected the engine to quite a bit of stress, lol.

I wont try to drive it accross until the leaks were fixed and a minor tune up was done (plugs, wires, oil, filter, fuel filter, dist. cap, rotor, etc). I dont expect to pull more than $1K out of this car at the most, but keep in mind the body is impecably clean, its a 4-door with automatic. That spells "first/school car!" to me LOL. I know I'd have much rather had this car than my crappy Toyota Tercel or even my Nissan Sentra (cars I drove in H/S, etc).

I dont plan to insure the 1988 even if I do decide to keep it. If I get my dealers license, I'll have insurance that'll cover me on any car I drive and there for I'll be covered when driving it (especially if I make it a dealer car in which case I could drive around with dealer plates, LOL). The cost of putting regular insurance on the car would probably surpass its value in the first six months.

Thanks for your replies. :)

Also, to Rocket: The version of the HSC for the Taurus was enlarged to 2.5 Liters over the 2.3 Liter version in the Tempo/Topaz. The increase in HP was minimal, still below 100 but the torque was slightly increased to try to compensate for the heavier car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts