Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I gave myself a good sit-up, push-up, stand-up / get-down workout by scraping and spot POR-15'ing my rocker sheetmetal.

Then I decided it was time to hit the visible surface rust on the subframe. After pulling the air dam, I realized that the whole subframe is coated in a waxy undercoat. The parts that were beginning to show rust were in the line of fire of road splash and grime, and the coating had worn off.

Was this something Ford did in Gen4? Or have I just missed it altogether when playing with my past Gens 1-3?

Anyway, because I have a couple bottles of left-over professional Waxoyl underbody (heavy bitumen/asphalt + wax), and after treating the rust, I slathered on the stuff.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
My 94 front subframe crossmember has a sorta medium soft sticky black asphalt like coating.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like Ford used this for many years, and I never noticed...

Short of a professional sprayer with a heated spray head, the stuff is miserable to put on. It would be much easier if I could turn the car upside down...

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
I believe either my G2 SHO's subframe has that, or its just alot of chemicles / fluids that fell onto it, but its a black asphault like texture that hurts if you touch it.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Mine has that grunge/crud on it as well.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (showec8 @ Apr 26 2009, 12:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720738
my 98 has no coating on it whats so ever. beside the oil from the oil pan leak[/b]
Hmm - beginning to wonder if this is a Chicago assembly thing and maybe not done in Atlanta for cars slated for Southern delivery...

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
My 94 ws built in Atlanta & it has the goop on it!!!!

Maybe his has been replaced????

·
Registered
512 Posts
QUOTE (OldWagon @ Apr 26 2009, 05:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720784
QUOTE (showec8 @ Apr 26 2009, 12:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720738
my 98 has no coating on it whats so ever. beside the oil from the oil pan leak[/b]
Hmm - beginning to wonder if this is a Chicago assembly thing and maybe not done in Atlanta for cars slated for Southern delivery...
[/b][/quote]
mine is originally a ca car not sure what plant mine was built at but will check

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Mine appears to be uncoated metal with surface rust. But who knows what car that was pulled off of as it is a LKQ part.

·
Registered
101 Posts
In lieu of paint Ford used a cosmoline type product on the front subframe and surrounding assemblies. The advantages of the cosmoline over paint were its ability to heal if chipped and better corrosion protection. When new the coating was very pliable and remained so for about 3-4 years before it started to dry out and harden up.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, theamcguy -- how did you track this down?

Where it has not been abraded off, mine is still quite pliable and waxy. I've now covered most of the abraded areas with a similar goop... still want to thin it and flow it internally (Ford likely dipped it) in some of the box frame areas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts