Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will Swapping stock single piston taurus brakes for Mustang GT Dual Piston brake calipers clear 15" wheels (rotors are 10.6") ?
I started a thread about this earlier, but didn't really hear much back.

And for the '99 ford taurus SE with OHV, do you have to swap caliper brackets or knuckles?
..or is it just "bolting on" the new mustang GT calipers and re-bleeding the lines?

How much of a difference does this make, to those who have done this, compared to stock?

·
Registered
214 Posts
If they are the same ones offered from SHOSource, then no. You will need at least a 17" inch wheel to clear them.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
The GT bracket will bolt to the Taurus knuckle; I belive that GT's got the 11.6" rotors, so if you used SHO or 2001+ rotors, it should work, but that would still require 16" wheels. To get the GT caliper to work with the 10.8" rotors and 15" wheels, you would need to modify the bracket to make the caliper sit closer to the knuckle.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
The Mustang GT Claipers are for 10.9 rotors and should clear 15" rims but I am not 100% on the rim part.

They will bolt on directly.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
They will clear :)

I'm running 15" wheels and mustang gt calipers.

Cobras require larger wheels, these are the PBR dual piston calipers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ machusta.... how much of a difference did you notice? Night and day, or not so much?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Its awesome sauce...they are totally 100% better.

·
Registered
671 Posts
So just to confirm... will my stock 16" wheels on my '05 SE still fit properly with the PBR calipers?

Or my SHO 92-95 wheels...

Thanks!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Muchausta wasn't really clear on what type of rotor's he has, but if they are the smaller rotors, then yes, you can clear 15", but if they are the 12"+ rotors, they will not fit.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts

This is on 11" rotors, so if you are going 11.6 I'm pretty sure you'll need 16" wheels.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think 11.6 will work. There is still room behind the lip of the rim I believe for that 6/10" to fit.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The years are as follows for the Mustang GT PBR Calipers:

99-04 Cobra (has "Cobra" written on caliper), Mach 1 (nothing written on caliper), or Bullitt (has a picture of a Pony on the caliper). Anyone of those will do.

* Taken from a SHOForum post.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
The years are as follows for the Mustang GT PBR Calipers:

99-04 Cobra (has "Cobra" written on caliper), Mach 1 (nothing written on caliper), or Bullitt (has a picture of a Pony on the caliper). Anyone of those will do.

* Taken from a SHOForum post.
You have it mixed up. There are 2 different PBR calipers from the Mustangs.

There are the Mustang GT calipers which fit on 10.9 rotors and come from the Mustang and GT.

Then there are the Cobra PBR calipers as you just listed that come from the Cobra, Mach 1 and Bullet. They fit on 13" rotors.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts