Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago early in the moring I found the dashboard lit with warning lights, 2 reds (ABS and Brake) and 2 yellows (Gas Cap and Driver Door Ajar). They seemed irrelevant. I thought it was caused by a blown fuse that was common to all these systems. And I checked this forum. Immediately, I found the answer. Insufficient battery voltage. The night before was cold.

Thank you folks. I benefited from your sharing of repair experiences. And I thank devoted members and especially Technical Advisor, Jeff K.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yeah battery voltage can play havoc with a lot of system sensors. Sensor status is often interpreted based on the voltage they return.

Note that sometimes a single cell can be on it's way out, so don't assume it's just a low state of charge for the battery overall.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My battery just died other day. MY check brake system and abs and brake light would go off and on when battery was dead or just about say dead. New battery and back to normal now

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
Yeah battery voltage can play havoc with a lot of system sensors. Sensor status is often interpreted based on the voltage they return.
It isnt the sensor voltages that are the problem. All sensors are virtually instantly provided with a 5.0 V VREF voltage from the PCM whenever the key is turned to start or run, even if the cranking voltage is pretty darn low. The problem is that some of the modules, most notably the ABS module, will not power up during crank with low cranking voltage. When it doesnt power up, it doesnt send a "I'm ready" signal on the HS CANBUS. It is this "I'm not ready" that turns on the ABS and traction control lights. The cluster, which is in many way a nexus for CANBUS communication, is also somewhat sensitive to low crank voltages.

Reactions: kekaye56

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a heads up. This recently happened to me. I changed the battery only for the same thing to happen two weeks later. It ended up being the alternator

1 - 5 of 5 Posts