Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my issue: I'm putting in a 4-ch amp to run the speakers in the front and a 2-ch to run two 12"s. Some other electronics will be installed. (A bunch actually between lights and strobes, and more.). My layout will not allow for a second battery to be installed in the back. Should I run one or more capacitors to prevent and voltage drain while everything is on? Another option would be running two 6v batteries (motorcycle batteries) run in parrallel? (to equal 12v). These would be located right behind the back seats. Probably a dry-cell battery like an Optima. Which would be better: cap(s) or 2-6v batteries?

Derek

·
Registered
746 Posts
you ready for this one brad? :)

dont go for caps, they arent going to do what you need at all. they wont even do what they are designed to do correctly, and acting as a second battery isnt what they are designed to be doing. i would definitly say DO NOT get caps, you are going to be upset with their performance and you are going to spend money that you didnt need to spend on them. i would also say dont bother getting 6v batteries, just get a small 12v car battery, you can find room for it somewhere, and it will take up about the same amount of space as 2 6v batts.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The idea for the 2 - 6V's were because they're not very wide. This way I could put them end to end and hopefully make them fit behind the back seat.

----------------- seat
||||. . . . . .|||| batteries
----------------- body/frame of car

I think there's only (maybe) six inches of room behind there. It's been a while since I've actually taken a look. I haven't noticed any major power drain with my current set up but the requirements are as much right now as what they will be in the near future.

Derek

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Optima makes a slim yellow battery to fit Honda's and such. I agree with Hoss, don't waste the time or money on either of your before mentioned options. There are a lot of companies making small 12volt batteries now. The one I have in my car is made, or at least marketed by HC. It is the size of a motorcycle battery basically. Just search around your area, you will find something. And if you are dead set on wasting money, instead of buying caps just give the money to Hoss and I, we'll waste it for you!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
12v battery will be a better situation. Caps WILL do what you want. So dodnt listen to hoss, as he is stating an opinion rather than fact. I myself have a second battery instead of a cap, only because i had a brand new battery lying around. I will state again purely for hosses pleasure that a battery is always a better option then a cap. (probbably be cheaper too.)

Remember....i install car audio for a living, unlike other people....

Brad

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Jun 7 2004, 10:06 AM

Brad
Well that doesn't mean anything. I rep it for a living, I installed it for a living, I ran a car audio shop for a living and I have almost 14 years in this business in total and people still don't always believe I know what I am talking about. :blink:

Caps will not serve his purpose if you read his question right. The most correct answer would be a bigger alternator, then a second battery and then less electronics and then only as a last resort a bank of caps. Caps only serve a purpose for quick, hard discharges, not long playing. And for the record, Hoss is stating more fact than opinion.

Oh yeah, Happy Belated B-Day Brad!!!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Jun 7 2004, 11:06 AM
12v battery will be a better situation. Caps WILL do what you want. So dodnt listen to hoss, as he is stating an opinion rather than fact. I myself have a second battery instead of a cap, only because i had a brand new battery lying around. I will state again purely for hosses pleasure that a battery is always a better option then a cap. (probbably be cheaper too.)

Brad
wrong brad, i am stating a fact, not an oppinion. it is scientifically proven, published, and you are able to test it for yourself with a few tools. caps do serve a purpose in this world and have their proper place, however car audio is neither the purpose or place for them.

i was trying to be civil about it, but if you want to get snotty remember that installing stereo doesent teach you everything about it, anyone can turn a screwdriver. but on the other other hand, if you do a little homework and realize exactly why something is doing what it is doing and gain a better understanding, you can begin to realize why certain items do and do not work ;)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by hoss+Jun 7 2004, 06:31 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hoss @ Jun 7 2004, 06:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Baby SHO@Jun 7 2004, 11:06 AM

Brad
wrong brad, i am stating a fact, not an oppinion. it is scientifically proven, published, and you are able to test it for yourself with a few tools. caps do serve a purpose in this world and have their proper place, however car audio is neither the purpose or place for them.

i was trying to be civil about it, but if you want to get snotty remember that installing stereo doesent teach you everything about it, anyone can turn a screwdriver. but on the other other hand, if you do a little homework and realize exactly why something is doing what it is doing and gain a better understanding, you can begin to realize why certain items do and do not work ;) [/b][/quote]
Technically caps are in car audio.... in most amplifiers no? :p :lol:

I knew this was going to get ugly... take it easy hoss. I have a cap myself and it did help with the dimming, just not completely. If I didn't have a new battery, I would have installed an optima or something along those lines and then added a second battery if needed.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by Xmann01@Jun 7 2004, 07:36 PM
Technically caps are in car audio.... in most amplifiers no?

I knew this was going to get ugly... take it easy hoss.
yes they are in amps, but those are not the caps we are talking about, those serve an entirely different purpose altogether.

by the way i am taking it easy ;) . i may have been looking at it wrong, but it seemed like brad had some attitude directed towards me in his post, sorry if i misinterpereted.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm. Didn't mean to kick up a hornets nest.
Originally posted by 12Volt_rep
Caps only serve a purpose for quick, hard discharges, not long playing.
This comment has made my decision. Also, another quote from 12Volt_rep:
Optima makes a slim yellow battery to fit Honda's and such.
Optima it is.

Derek

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
All you need is an Odyssey PC 1200 battery in place of your OEM one and large enough primary wiring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts