Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sable exhaust is leaking. It is a 2001 with the original exhaust. I found the leak on the topside of the muffler.

I have two questions.

Is this a stainless steel exhaust? It kinda looks like it. Probably only 409 stainless.

What are my options for repair? The whole system is welded together with not a lot of straight pipe leading into the muffler. I'd hate to replace the system with aluminized steel, then have to replace the system every 3 years like I did with my previous winter beater.

·
Registered
29 Posts
They have a kit for patching mufflers. Its like a fiberglass patch. 8 bucks at the parts store. Make sure you get some sandpaper to clean the rust.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I poked around the internet and find I can get a 409 stainless steel exhaust system for under $200:

Though still good, the pipes leading to the muffler have a fair bit of corrosion. My style is to replace the whole system. It's usually easiest and more pragmatic.

They don't make exhaust systems out of anodized aluminum. But they do make them out of aluminized steel.

That era Fords used 409 stainless steel, while the japanese back then were using the considerably better 304 stainless varieties. I did a lot of work for Ford looking at tested and field returned exhaust components.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
I used a piece of galvanized steel from a furnace ductwork. I also used high temp RTV and long band clamps to fix my 1993 Taurus for years. It seemed to me that there was not any straight tubing before it was welded to muffler making it hard to reattach a new muffler

·
Super Moderator
7,951 Posts
^^^^^ Same here...... I have fixed countless mufflers and pipes this way over the years. The repairs often lasted several years.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I poked around the internet and find I can get a 409 stainless steel exhaust system for under $200:

Though still good, the pipes leading to the muffler have a fair bit of corrosion. My style is to replace the whole system. It's usually easiest and more pragmatic.

They don't make exhaust systems out of anodized aluminum. But they do make them out of aluminized steel.

That era Fords used 409 stainless steel, while the japanese back then were using the considerably better 304 stainless varieties. I did a lot of work for Ford looking at tested and field returned exhaust components.
Take a close look at their warranty and consider the fact that they don't offer all the parts you need (52222)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good catch on that missing pipe. A quick search shows no one seems to carry a stainless steel version of it. I'll have to rethink this task and maybe go the patch route.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just used some muffler patch on my muffler. I do not know how long it will work. I do not remember for sure but believe it was
Permatex Muffler and Tailpipe Sealer

·
Registered
50 Posts
FYI CATs connected to exhaust manifolds. My shop dropped the entire engine /tranny to change both at same time. Also a good time to replace those hard to access items when engine/tranny are in car.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
James, I looked at the Rockauto. They offer the same thing as in what I linked from www.upsw.com, except the Walker system in Rockauto is over $100 more, and I still get a resonator that is not stainless steel. The further you get from the engine, the more the exhaust system is prone to corrosion. Condensation on the inside being baked off has a lot to do with the longevity of the part. There is no sense with installing a stainless steel system if one of the components will rust out every three years.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
James, I looked at the Rockauto. They offer the same thing as in what I linked from www.upsw.com, except the Walker system in Rockauto is over $100 more, and I still get a resonator that is not stainless steel. The further you get from the engine, the more the exhaust system is prone to corrosion. Condensation on the inside being baked off has a lot to do with the longevity of the part. There is no sense with installing a stainless steel system if one of the components will rust out every three years.
Hi, I've got '99 wagon and sedans, original exhaust system but I'm in the southeast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts