Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many MPG should a 2004 Ford Taurus SE get??? My car is getting 15mpg.. is that about right or is that a problem? If it is what do i have to do to solve that problem??

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well, I can tell you that my '00 SE with vulcan engine gets about 24-26mpg. I think if you are only getting 15mpg there is something wrong. What other symptoms or history about the car can you tell us that would help narrow it down? Is check engine light on, does it start and run okay, did you just notice a change in mpg, etc. Give us some more info and you'll get lots of help :)

·
Registered
834 Posts
What kind of driving do you do...city or highway more?

I have an 04...I was getting an average of 18.34 miles per gallon for a while...I drove mostly city miles...pretty much to work and back...I don't go out much...my work was only 5 miles from my apt.

I recently moved about 1/4 of a mile from my work....and I've noticed my MPG go to about 15 or 16 MPG...I think its because my car doesn't travel many miles or go very fast much...and I've heard your car uses more fuel when it starts, to help heat up the CAT...so seeing as I'm pretty much starting a cold car all the time and then don't drive it far enough to warm up, I think that's where my MPG decrease came from.

I also had it go down to about 13 MPG a couple weeks ago...at the same time, I could hear a pretty decent exhaust leak...I tracked it down to the flex pipe..it had a hole starting...since that repair the MPG has gone back to the 15 to 16 average.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I can tell you that my '00 SE with vulcan engine gets about 24-26mpg. I think if you are only getting 15mpg there is something wrong. What other symptoms or history about the car can you tell us that would help narrow it down? Is check engine light on, does it start and run okay, did you just notice a change in mpg, etc. Give us some more info and you'll get lots of help :)
Well i bought the car from a used-dealership here in chicago, when i bought it the mileage was at 74,000, now its got 79980 miles on it. I had to replace the battery with an interstate, the belt, tensioner, right rear sway bar, the brakes all the way around. it wasnt bad on gas when i first bought, but then i started to notice the digitial gas mileage started to wig out, like when i first filled it up it to the full it said 300 miles to empty, then later on down the line when i fill it up it starts saying 400 miles to empty, and im like that cant be right.. everyone tells me its due for a tune-up, but will that fix the problem of the digitial meter vs the fuel needle? And keep in mind since i bought the vehicle ive always put BP Gas in it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of driving do you do...city or highway more?

I have an 04...I was getting an average of 18.34 miles per gallon for a while...I drove mostly city miles...pretty much to work and back...I don't go out much...my work was only 5 miles from my apt.

I recently moved about 1/4 of a mile from my work....and I've noticed my MPG go to about 15 or 16 MPG...I think its because my car doesn't travel many miles or go very fast much...and I've heard your car uses more fuel when it starts, to help heat up the CAT...so seeing as I'm pretty much starting a cold car all the time and then don't drive it far enough to warm up, I think that's where my MPG decrease came from.

I also had it go down to about 13 MPG a couple weeks ago...at the same time, I could hear a pretty decent exhaust leak...I tracked it down to the flex pipe..it had a hole starting...since that repair the MPG has gone back to the 15 to 16 average.
Well i do some city driving, and highway driving which gets up to 55 mph, once i get on the highway i open it up to about 110 mph. I dont do this ALL the time, just once in a blue moon. I take I-55 about 5-10 miles mon-friday.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well i bought the car from a used-dealership here in chicago, when i bought it the mileage was at 74,000, now its got 79980 miles on it. I had to replace the battery with an interstate, the belt, tensioner, right rear sway bar, the brakes all the way around. it wasnt bad on gas when i first bought, but then i started to notice the digitial gas mileage started to wig out, like when i first filled it up it to the full it said 300 miles to empty, then later on down the line when i fill it up it starts saying 400 miles to empty, and im like that cant be right.. everyone tells me its due for a tune-up, but will that fix the problem of the digitial meter vs the fuel needle? And keep in mind since i bought the vehicle ive always put BP Gas in it.
When the brakes were done, were the caliper slide pins greased? You could have a caliper hanging up and dragging.

After driving the car for a while, put you hand on the wheel hub of each wheel and see if one wheel is hotter to the touch than the rest. I found a bad rear caliper on my previous sable that way, it also started to blue my new brake rotor also.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When the brakes were done, were the caliper slide pins greased? You could have a caliper hanging up and dragging.

After driving the car for a while, put you hand on the wheel hub of each wheel and see if one wheel is hotter to the touch than the rest. I found a bad rear caliper on my previous sable that way, it also started to blue my new brake rotor also.

The reason i had the brakes done because there was a high pitch scraping noise coming from the brakes, come to find out the airheads who installed them put them on backwards..... but the brakes are good now.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
15-18mpg is about normal for around-town with occasional high-speed runs. You would have to do a lot more than 5-10 miles per day highway to offset the city-driving significantly.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
My 1996 wagon gets what my fuelly badge says. That is mixed driving. I once got 34 mpg on a tank (not sure what I did right), if I'm just on the highway and stick to the speed limit, it bests 25 mpg often. I have never gotten less than 19 mpg around town. My car has the Duratec, which is considered to be slightly less fuel efficient than the Vulcan. So I agree, you should be getting better than 15.

What is your Long Term Fuel Trim?

·
Registered
670 Posts
My vulcan averages approx 15 mpg in the city with either ac/defrost and approx 30 mpg pure hwy @ anywhere from 65-75 mph

They are just not very efficient on the city mileage. Those big acceleration runs are also drinking tons of fuel as well throwing your numbers way down.

also at 80k you could certainly use some new spark plugs at the very least, and the usual tune up items, PCV Valve,fuel filter, air filter and clean the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I check and record my mileage every single time I fill up and I find that in the summer I average around 23 mpgs with mostly highway driving.

These first few weeks of fall, I've been getting 25-26 mpgs consistently.

If I did more city driving these would be down significantly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My vulcan averages approx 15 mpg in the city with either ac/defrost and approx 30 mpg pure hwy @ anywhere from 65-75 mph

They are just not very efficient on the city mileage. Those big acceleration runs are also drinking tons of fuel as well throwing your numbers way down.

also at 80k you could certainly use some new spark plugs at the very least, and the usual tune up items, PCV Valve,fuel filter, air filter and clean the MAF sensor.
Yea im trying to dig up some money to get this car back to its normal self, But i dont have a job no more so im tryin to do what i can. And plus i have a son on the way, he will be born Feb. 20th 2011. So as a father im trying my best to keep my car running and be there for my son.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm in the process of driving across country in a new to me 03 Taurus with the engine that is designated by U being the eighth letter in the VIN. Car has 50k on it and I'm 1500 miles into the trip, NYC to Dallas. I've averaged 25.73 mpg over that time averaging around 70mph. Car runs like a top and hasn't missed a beat.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm in the process of driving across country in a new to me 03 Taurus with the engine that is designated by U being the eighth letter in the VIN. Car has 50k on it and I'm 1500 miles into the trip, NYC to Dallas. I've averaged 25.73 mpg over that time averaging around 70mph. Car runs like a top and hasn't missed a beat.
Man that must be one boring ride... but yea Taurus's are a smooth runing car man. I love my taurus.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts