Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting a dvd burner, and I think it'd be nice to burn my whole mp3 collection on a few dvd's. Are there any head units that play mp3 DVD's? I know they can play MP3 CD's, but I heard that the array only supports up to a few hundred songs, so playing it from a dvd would only give me a fraction of the total mp3's on the disk. Anyone know of any head unit's with this capability?

·
Registered
746 Posts
ive never heard of anything like what you are describing, but i could be wrong... sounds like a good idea though, you might try contacting companies directly and ask them.

another alternative though would be to get a MP3 CD changer that can be controlled by an after market head unit. what i am currently doing is transfering all of my CD's to high bitrate MP3's and putting them on CD-R's. i can fit about 15 full CD's to a disc(roughly 200+ songs to a disc), multiply that by a 6 disc clip, and that is 90 full CD's. that is a cheap solution that will work excellently.

also... kenwood makes a great MP3 jukebox. you can get a 20 gig memory thingy, and i cant think of anyone who would need more than 20 gigs worth of music in their car ;)

hope that helps a little

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Adam, I'd be curious as well, since I have 12 Gb of Mp3's on my hard drive

and a DVD burner to boot as well

·
Registered
746 Posts
FYI- some companies worth contacting: Alpine, Eclipse, Pioneer, and Kenwood. those are the main ones i would try contacting. if anyone has one, those would be the ones i would assume to have it. stay away from low end stuff like RF, Sony, Dual, or best buy/circuit city brands.

P.S.-if the alpines will do this, the new IVA-D300 is the jam. touch screen with feedback. when you touch it, the screen vibrates to simulate a button, i played with one today... too cool :)

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Kenwood head units are awful. The motorized faces break really fast, so get a good extended warranty with it.

The Rockford Fosgate head units are good products. They're made by Denon, but get the highend ones, the low end ones like to heat up to 500 degrees and burn your CDs...literally.

JVCs are good units but their MP3 reading engines are a little slow.

I hate MP3 compression anyway as it deteriorates the sound quality and makes the bass all muddy.

There are DVD head units, that play MP3 CDs, the Pioneer DVH-5000 does it. It won't read DVD-MP3s though. Imagine how much wear your "skip ahead' button would get. LOL

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by Twilight@May 25 2004, 08:56 PM
Kenwood head units are awful. The motorized faces break really fast, so get a good extended warranty with it.
I've had 3 Kenwood headunits all with motorized face places since about '98 (I think) and I've never had a single one break. Their headunits are great IMO. The first two I sold to other people after I was done with them and they're still going strong to the people I sold them to.

·
Registered
746 Posts
i gotta agree with golovko here alex, kenwood makes some excellent head units. i really like several of the kenwood excelon flip out screens. also gonna disagree with you about the RF units, they suck. the only good one they have isnt even theirs, it is a direct rip of the denon unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.