Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO, I'm new here and don't know much about cars to be honest. I am young and moving to canada soon. All of my life I have lived in Alabama literally as far south as you can go and not live on a boat. I have a 94 taurus gl with a 3.0 v6 and it has 99k on it and no major issues. The tranny doesnt shift smoothly sometimes but im used to it. This was my first car and i have driven it several years now. Its a very reliable car. I need to know what to do to it to prepare for the northern climate. This car has never been driven somewhere that it snows or they have ice or cold weather. Does this car handle well in snow? Im nervous about moving because ive never driven in it and will probably look like an idiot on the road and i'll just hope i dont crash. :unsure:

thanks for any advice

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks thats reassuring. i was worried the car would be sliding into ditches crashing everyday with all the icey roads in canada. Is there anything i need to do to the car though? Do i need to buy different kinda tire or use different fluids for the cold weather?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah, something you probably didnt use much in southern bama, be sure heater and defroster work, lol!
Luckily, they do work great!
the a/c...not so much but i dont guess i'll be needing that in canada B)

Do you have any tire recommendations?

I think I need to pay attention to my stepdad when he works on my car and actually learn what all them funny named parts under the hood are ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Snow tires are a good add if you've never driven in snow before, lots of windshield washer fluid, and a good snow brush. Where in Canada are you moving to?
I'll be staying in Nova Scotia, near Barrington.
Won't windshield washer fluid freeze when its cold? sorry if thats a stupid question :unsure:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll be staying in Nova Scotia, near Barrington.
Won't windshield washer fluid freeze when its cold? sorry if thats a stupid question :unsure:
Nova Scotia is pretty cold this time of year. Lol Make sure it's rated for -40... And that goes the same for all your fluids. bridgestone blizzak is a good tire, but if you're looking for something cheaper, Goodyear Nordics are pretty good but they're not rated for ice!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nova Scotia is pretty cold this time of year. Lol Make sure it's rated for -40... And that goes the same for all your fluids. bridgestone blizzak is a good tire, but if you're looking for something cheaper, Goodyear Nordics are pretty good but they're not rated for ice!!
-40 :eek: idk if you mean Fahrenheit or Celsius....either way :eek: I dont believe I have ever been in weather less than 15F

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
-40 is universal in f/c. We have tons of salt put on our roads here, depending on what Provence you move to. I high, HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend that you take your car in and have it completely undercoated with oil, get every part done. Then do it every spring. Bad idea to do it in the fall in my opinion. Canada has thousands of garages that'll do it for ya, make sure you use a good one. It generally costs a little over $100 for brand name.

A/C is a good idea. Not only for the winter, but lots of places in Canada see 40+c (100+f) temps in the summer, in my area it becomes incredibly humid in the summer, way more than you would think. You'll sweat to death in the summer and freeze in the winter. It's a good idea to change your oil every season, even if you don't put enough miles on the car to justify it. Put a good set of all seasons on your car, or get a second set of rims and buy new snow tires for the winter.

Learn to idle the car for at least 30 seconds before taking off in the winter.

Driving in snow is lots of fun, don't speed and don't try to corner fast or you'll just crash. If you don't have ABS, try to never let your tires lock in snowy conditions, you're screwed once that happens. Learn how to steer out of skids, too.

Buy the biggest winter car mats you can find. I even line my floor with shower liners to keep the water from seeping past the mats. Your car will get very wet and snowy inside.

Learn to clean a car off before you have to do it in a parking lot, buy a good snow brush. You can't just jump in your car after even a small snow fall and drive off, you need to clean that stuff off or you'll cause a big accident.

Clean the summer bug wash out of the wiper tank, it'll freeze out here. Get some -40c grade and use that.

If your car has aluminum rims that you like, get steelies for the winter, they'll get ruined.

Flush your coolant and put fresh in to make sure it isn't deluded or something to the point where it'll freeze or turn to slush.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Celsius lol I live in Ontario very close to Toronto, but I'm from New Brunswick. Down east is always cooler, even in the summer there's a chill if the sun's not on you!! But it is beautiful there.

Good luck
I'm from those parts, eh? ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
-40 is universal in f/c. We have tons of salt put on our roads here, depending on what Provence you move to. I high, HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended that you take your car in and have it completely undercoated with oil, get every part done. Then do it every spring. Bad idea to do it in the fall in my opinion. Canada has thousands of garages that'll do it for ya, make sure you use a good one. It generally costs a little over $100 for brand name.

A/C is a good idea. Not only for the winter, but lots of places in Canada see 40+c (100+f) temps in the summer, in my area it becomes incredibly humid in the summer, way more than you would think. You'll sweat to death in the summer and freeze in the winter. It's a good idea to change your oil every season, even if you don't put enough miles on the car to justify it. Put a good set of all seasons on your car, or get a second set of rims and buy new snow tires for the winter.

Learn to idle the car for at least 30 seconds before taking off in the winter.

Driving in snow is lots of fun, don't speed and don't try to corner fast or you'll just crash. If you don't have ABS, try to never let your tires lock in snowy conditions, you're screwed once that happens. Learn how to steer out of skids, too.

Buy the biggest winter car mats you can find. I even line my floor with shower liners to keep the water from seeping past the mats. Your car will get very wet and snowy inside.

Learn to clean a car off before you have to do it in a parking lot, buy a good snow brush. You can't just jump in your car after even a small snow fall and drive off, you need to clean that stuff off or you'll cause a big accident.

Clean the summer bug wash out of the wiper tank, it'll freeze out here. Get some -40c grade and use that.

If your car has aluminum rims that you like, get steelies for the winter, they'll get ruined.

Flush your coolant and put fresh in to make sure it isn't deluded or something to the point where it'll freeze or turn to slush.
I have spent a few weeks in Canada and have a little experience with the climate where I will be living. I stayed in early january and late june for about a week. I have no idea what kindve rims my car has. Theyre the same ones ford put on there 17 years ago as far as i know. I don't bother running my a/c down here because its hotter than heck and you just end up slightly less sweaty than if you rolled your winders down and you waste gas running the a/c on high..I think the a/c is good enough for the canadian summer ive visited though :)

I do have abs and think i will buy a set of rims and snow tires just for winter....how am i gonna put those in the trunk with my junk :p i rhymed!

What is oil undercoating? Is it exactly how it sounds? (somebody spraying oil under your car?) that sounds gooey :unsure:

thanks for the advice

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
You should flush out the cooling system and fill with 50-60% coolant, I would probably do 60% coolant, which is the max %, and gives the best cold weather protection, I did that when I lived in western Montana. If you have not done so, replace the serpentine belt if it has any cracks, or if it's old, as the sub freezing weather will make it brittle, and it will snap. Most blue colored washer fluid is good at least to -28, the green bug stuff is for above freezing temps. Check you cold tire pressure after you enter the freeze zone, as the tire pressure goes down with air temp. Keep in mind that in 8 years or so, your Taurus will turn into a pile of rust. You may have climate/culture shock after you move there.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
What is oil undercoating? Is it exactly how it sounds? (somebody spraying oil under your car?) that sounds gooey :unsure:

thanks for the advice
Hehe, I half forget that southerners don't give two craps about heat, it's like cold to eskimos.

You spray your car underneath, in the doors, rockers, pillers, inner quarters, bumpers, rails, brake lines, fuel lines, exposed sheet metal seams, firewall. You basically coat the car in oil. It'll stop the salt from eating away at your car. It is gooey and drippy. Better than rust in my opinion. You'll notice that there's barely any cars like yours in Canada, they've become a rarity already due to rusting issues. Early 1st gens have been rear since the mid 90s, you don't really see them anymore around here.

Oil is a great rust retardant.

Haha Thank god it's warming up, eh? Lol
The last week was a real BITCH for weather. I didn't want to get out of bed even. :lol2:

It almost felt like summer today, at -2c.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You should flush out the cooling system and fill with 50-60% coolant, I would probably do 60% coolant, which is the max %, and gives the best cold weather protection, I did that when I lived in western Montana. If you have not done so, replace the serpentine belt if it has any cracks, or if it's old, as the sub freezing weather will make it brittle, and it will snap. Most blue colored washer fluid is good at least to -28, the green bug stuff is for above freezing temps. Check you cold tire pressure after you enter the freeze zone, as the tire pressure goes down with air temp. Keep in mind that in 8 years or so, your Taurus will turn into a pile of rust. You may have climate/culture shock after you move there.
A pile of rust? :'(
I'm really gonna miss this car if it turns into a pile of rust.

I know nothing about a car, except I have a 1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue, best car ever created imo, and I know which thingy i beat with a hammer when it wont start....im gonna google serpentine belt now! I love love love love this car but with the ol carbureted engine and all i just dont think i wanna expose my baby to canadian winter. I have no clue what a carburetor is. ...thats just what my stepdad told me.

Tire pressure, something I know how to check/change!

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Would be a good idea to practice driving in some large snowy parking lots if its snowy when you get up there. :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.