Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is side to side movement normal or no? It's like this on both sides of the front of my car but there is no front to back movement with the tie rod ends or up and down movement with the sway bar links. Tire does move side to side a little when jacked up but not up and down. I have heard an odd suspension noise coming from the front of my car going slow and stopping. I also have a mild vibration. More so when breaking, thinking that issue may be my rotors. Got new tires back in August, the passenger side tire wore out pretty bad and the driver side is still good.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by side-to-side but not front-to-back but if you aren't seeing any movement at the tie rod when you push on the wheel but are still having some movement at the wheel I might suspect wheel bearing. Usually that would coincide with a noise as you drive, getting worse over time. That could be part of the problem with tire wear but a trip to a good alignment shop would be a place to start and have them check out the wheel bearings while they are at it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what a bad wheel bearing sounds like. Not the same.

The parts move left or right. Wasn't sure if they were supposed to do that or be tight fighting.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Ahh, okay, so you are talking about the sway bar end link. That should be a tight fit and in my experience if there is any slop in it you will hear a clunk or rattle noise when you hit any bumps in the road. It wouldn't have anything to do with a vibration or tire wear though.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes and the outer tie rod ends. Figured I'd check them but really no clue what I'm doing. I watched some videos which pointed to the fact they may be bad but a couple people have told me it's normal for them to move back and forth like that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I heard it today turning at low speed. It's not popping or anything. Sounds more like a old rusted part giving out, maybe like a creaking sound.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One in the front is new and the other one is still good. Maybe it's my shocks and struts? I haven't checked those. Haven't noticed it bouncing but I had that issue with my last Taurus. It's pretty noisy when backing out of the driveway, I just assumed my back brakes need checked. The tire that went bad had quite a bit of outer tire wear.

It's crazy all of the repairs I've done to this car since last fall. When the mileage gets high, you can expect to replace everything!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I know what you mean about the repair costs. To make myself feel better I try to remember it's still better than a new car payment :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The garage said everything on the front end is tight and told me that it had to be my tires. Both front tires are brand new.

Had my nephew take a look at it. The bushing on the stabilizer link was all busted up. Fixed my problem putting a new one on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts