Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you just drill into the bumper to mount them or am i missing something. is it that simple?

Legolyn

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
On my GEN 3 I just used the double stick mount they provided and stuck it to the metal beam behind the bumper.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I put the screws in to my bumper as well, just make sure you remember to take them out if you ever need to remove the bumper. I wasted a good 15 minutes trying to figure out why my bumper didnt fit, when the screws protruding from the cover prevented it from going flush against the foam. Also, be sure to consider how far forward you want your lights, cause they look goofy if theyre too far forward.
~~Maverick~~

·
Registered
292 Posts
I used the brace behind the cover as well..not an easy mount...but when I wrecked the car...the lights and brackets stayed...

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I don't know what they make that bumper beam out of but it is the hardest stuff i have ever tried to drill though. That is why I used the tape.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
It is a special foam cored tape included with the Pilot fog lights I got. I have also used this on the styrofoam behind the bumper cover. Here I also used a long screw as the tape doesn't stick to the styro that good. But it sure does to that steel beam. Be sure you have things aimed before to stick that tape down cause it's not coming off in one piece.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I used Liquid Nails to glue two 2x3 blocks (painted black, so they don't look crappy) to the steel bumper. Then I used wood screws to secure the fog lights. Not only did this make installation a snap, it gave me just the right alignment for the fog light beam to project through the lower gills of the SHO bumper.

BTW, this was after breaking SEVEN drill bits and ending up with only 2 holes.

·
Registered
341 Posts
no doubt. i'm thinking of just mounting mine into the bumper cover. my mother in law owned my car before i did, and she put a nasty hole in the front bumper cover by continually hitting something in her garage. so it needs fixed anyway, and until i can fix it...whats four more unnoticeable holes?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
in the Gen 3, the two oval opening is the lower portion of the front bumber, where you can see the tranny cooler tubes, isn't that the best location to mount the fog lights?

Pictures of folks who ave mounted will help.

·
Registered
341 Posts
i don't know if thats the best place, but thats where i'm gonna put 'em on my 97 taurus LX. right underneath the park lights, like firespirit did. looks badass.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
np, ash. i'm here to inflate your ego :)

they really do look sweet though. i got my lights today, gonna install 'em monday. i'll snap some pics and let ya'll see how it turns out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts