Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone mounted a roof basket onto the roof of a 4th gen Taurus? I'm looking at buying a roof basket but I really don't want to spend all the money on rails. Should I just make up some brackets and drill it right into the roof?

·
Super Moderator
7,687 Posts
The roof metal itself is quite thin, and, besides the fact that randomly drilling holes in the roof sounds like something I personally would never consider doing, the sheet metal screws you would use will have almost no metal thickness to "bite" into. At 70 MPH would likely rip the basket right off due to the force of the wind. If you MUST drill holes pull the headliner and locate the structural beams in the roof, and use bolts with washers to bolt the basket to the structural beams.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
The roof metal itself is quite thin, and, besides the fact that randomly drilling holes in the roof sounds like something I personally would never consider doing, the sheet metal screws you would use will have almost no metal thickness to "bite" into. At 70 MPH would likely rip the basket right off due to the force of the wind. If you MUST drill holes pull the headliner and locate the structural beams in the roof, and use bolts with washers to bolt the basket to the structural beams.
Actually the roof is rather tough overall but agree you need to reinforce from the inside to keep safe anything on top. In the pic, tree weighted the car down so all 4 sides bottomed out from the weight. Car totaled, I put new top glass in and had the windshield replaced. 5 years later this month, 65K more miles, cheap car. Of course the top looks like the car had been rolled over but the doors fit just fine. :D

-chart-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have worded it differently. By drilling I meant mounting the roof basket with nuts and bolts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing