Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
REF: 1997 AX4N Filter Kit

Hey Gang:
Does anybody have the correct Motorcraft Transmission Kit or Motorcraft Transmission part number for an AX4N Transmission - 1997 with the Duratec engine, need to be changing my tranny fluid and filter next month.

I checked the AX4N sticky above but no reference to a AX4N filter kit. Any web site for this part would be greatly appreciated.

Monsoon.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. However the transmission code for F6DZ7A098AA is for a AX4S.

MOTORCRAFT Part # FT130 {#F6DZ7A098AA} Auto Trans Filter Kit; Kit Includes: Filter, O-Rings
Trans. code AX4S

For a AX4N it should have a description as:
19-bolt PAN, FWD,4 SPD, 96-On Green Seal

Monsoon.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Strange... it does say AX4S. The filter I looked up was for a '97 LX, which only came with a 'tec, which only came with a 4N. The only other code I can easily find is F6DZ7A098A, which is the same but with one "A" at the end instead of two. I'm not sure if it makes a difference. Otherwise, all the filter kits it lists are both AX4S and AX4N for the LX which, IIRC, only came with a 4N. Also, the first part # I listed also fits on the '04-'06 Freestar, which I don't think ever came with a 4S, so I think you're safe.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anything with AX4S and I get suspicious.

I've changed the tranny filter many times and "within" the valve body is the "green seal" we speak of, for the AX4N. I may have to go to the sealership but don't want to.

Monsoon

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Part number F6DZ7A098A was superseded by part number F6DZ7A098AA.

The 4S and 4N use the same filter.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bull Geek:
1000 Thank Yous for clarification. I'm going to document it in my Haynes Book. Damn! EVERYTHING is subject to change. :angry:

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got my Motorcraft F6DZ-7A098-AA transmission filter (screen) today. I it appears to be correct and contains the green seal, like the previous filters.

I would like to thank:
Bull Geek
Dubeckyj
rockauto.com

I'll be stuffing it in later this month. Cost was about $21 shipped, beats the dealer they're asking $32.

Monsoon

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Nice price! Have fun with the old green seal ....

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts

The 4S and 4N use the same filter.
+1

I have changed filters on A4XS, A4XN, AXODE (later renamed the A4XS), and AXOD, and all the filters all looked and fit the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.